Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
nerdvana

Default Help Building A Disadvantage

GURPS gives us a number of different options for field of vision, but I have one variation that I need to build that I'm having trouble with....

We have Peripherial Vision at one end and No Peripherial Vision/Tunnel Vision at the other. However, what about Reverse Peripherial Vision. This is specifically for Whales (and other beings built in such a fashion). Their eyes are located laterally and so they are unable to see directly in front of each other, each eye has a field of vision equal to No Peripherial Vision (or near enough as I figure) but only in one direction and obviously this setup gives them No Depth Perception, but that isn't enough I wouldn't think.

So, how would people build this? I'm stumped.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
nyu2

Default Re: Help Building A Disadvantage

Wouldn't that just be a combination of Peripheral Vision, and No Depth Perception/One Eye?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
nerdvana

I considered that, nyu2, but the probme I ran into is that it leaves the front hexes being seen. There needs to be a blind spot, a place where the Whale cannot see. Perhaps just the hex (or couple of hexes) right in front of it.

I guess that's what I'm trying to stat a "Blind Spot" disadvantage.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
nerdvana

I'm thinking of making this "Blind Spot" disadvantage maybe -6 points (this would be a 78% limitation on Blindness...)
Old 08-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana
We have Peripherial Vision at one end and No Peripherial Vision/Tunnel Vision at the other. However, what about Reverse Peripherial Vision. This is specifically for Whales (and other beings built in such a fashion). Their eyes are located laterally and so they are unable to see directly in front of each other, each eye has a field of vision equal to No Peripherial Vision (or near enough as I figure) but only in one direction and obviously this setup gives them No Depth Perception, but that isn't enough I wouldn't think.

So, how would people build this? I'm stumped.
A thread from a few months ago that might be of interest: Restricted Vision vs Peripheral Vision.

ISTR that this came up at least one other time, longer ago, but was not able to find anything with a quick search. Maybe it'll turn up later :/
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
pawsplay

Peripheral Vision with Temporary Disadvantage, One Eye
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Vaevictis Asmadi

Here's the my current version of Blind Spot, based on the feedback I got:

Blind Spot: -5, -15, or -30 points
There is a space directly in front of you into which you cannot see with any of your eyes, no matter how many you have. This disadvantage includes No Depth Perception, but is not compatible with One Eye. It is intended mainly as a personal disadvantage to replace Restricted Vision for races which have widely spaced eyes and Peripheral Vision. It is not compatible with any form of Restricted Vision. Blind Spot comes in three levels:

Spot: The blind spot takes out only the front hex immediately in front of you, turning it into a back hex. However, you can see into the hexes beyond it. -5 points.

60 degrees: The blind spot takes out a 60 degree arc in front of you. On a battle map, the hex directly in front of you becomes a back hex. -15 points.

120 degrees: The blind spot takes out a 120 degree wedge in front of you, leaving only small wedges of vision on the sides. On a battle map, the hex directly in front of you becomes a back hex. -30 points.

120 degrees may border on the silly.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
pawsplay

Anything more than 90 degress would seem to imply we were not, in fact, talking about the front of the head.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
Spot: The blind spot takes out only the front hex immediately in front of you, turning it into a back hex. However, you can see into the hexes beyond it. -5 points.
I assume this also includes the "C" Range for stuff in your hex?

Seems pretty crippling in a fight. Especially if it turns into a wrestling match.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
PK

Isn't this something that can be partially negated by simply turning one's head from side to side? We own a parrot, and he doesn't have any problem seeing things in front of his body -- he just cocks his head a little.

So I wouldn't make this nearly as extreme. I'd say that at quirk level, you're at -4 to all rolls to notice something that's literally directly in front of you, unless you're actively looking (i.e., swiveling your head). At -5 point level, this penalty applies to a 60-degree cone, and you treat your front hex as a flank hex for combat penalties that don't depend on handedness. I wouldn't go any further.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, q&a, rev. pee kitty