Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Carlos

Default [DF] Jedi Knights?

DF 14 introduces the Mentalist, a psionic template for dungeon fantasy.
DF 15 shows various paths to build 250 delvers.
Finally, Pyramid Magazine #3/51 brings the Psi-Sword.

With those sources at hand and some inspirations in mind, is that viable to build a Jedi Knight-like in a DF game? I mean a type of Swashbuckler with psionic powers and a cool energy sword, not the straight-up intellectually brilliant Mentalist.

After all, they're shaved head anyway.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [DF] Jedi Knights?

A Jedi should be doable. If your GM allows One Skill Only Imbue with No Die Roll Required to turn your weapon of choice into a blade of pure energy, you even get the lightsaber!

Everything else can come from the Mentalist, Martial Artist, and Knight lenses.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
vierasmarius

My preferred approach to the Lightsaber (in DF) would be to treat it as a Gadget-based Innate Attack. This does preclude combining it with Imbuements, but you can easily replace those with using the Power Stunt rules, or buying Alternative Attacks for tricks you'll be using frequently (such as throwing it and having it return to hand - a simple Ranged attack with the Nuisance effect that it might get "dropped" a long distance away on a Critical Miss).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

My preferred method is to give the aspiring Jedi Magery 0 and bend the rules to let a Jet spell be enchanted on a wand/rod instead of jewelry, and giving said rod of whatever a level or two of the Power enchantment so he only needs to spend FP for big attacks.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
PK

While all three methods (Imbue, Innate Attack, Jet spells) produce something sort of like a lightsaber, true, may I ask why you guys prefer them to simply using the psi-sword, which is a Force*-powered lightsaber in every way . . . and, in fact, was designed to fill exactly that role?

* Where "The Force" = "psi," which I think it clearly does. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
With those sources at hand and some inspirations in mind, is that viable to build a Jedi Knight-like in a DF game? I mean a type of Swashbuckler with psionic powers and a cool energy sword, not the straight-up intellectually brilliant Mentalist.
Sure, I don't see why not. The obvious route is skirmisher + psi. If you focus heavily on the physical with the skirmisher template (and allow Force Sword as one of the weapon skills, of course), and focus on "cunning" over "cerebral learning" with the psi lens, you'll end up with something that feels very much like a Jedi. The nice thing is, you don't even have to max out ST, because the lightsaber (psi-sword) is based on mental prowess rather than physical.

Back in the day, I was running a 3e fantasy game where the concept was "the heroes of old." I wanted everyone to build a 750-point archetype -- unique characters, but in the style of Conan, Merlin, Robin Hood, etc. One player wanted to build a Jedi using psionic powers, and I thought it was a nifty enough idea that I allowed it. Never had any problems; after all, Jedi are "heroes of old" -- just from a very long time ago and from a very long ways away.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Miles

The real question is how you adapt Psi-Swords, which assume multiple distinct forms of psionic abilities, to a hack and slash game where Psi is all one thing.

And since we're talking about Jedi, should Weapon Master be allowed? I'd be against when using typical force swords, but it seems less broken and appropriate here.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
While all three methods (Imbue, Innate Attack, Jet spells) produce something sort of like a lightsaber, true, may I ask why you guys prefer them to simply using the psi-sword, which is a Force*-powered lightsaber in every way . . . and, in fact, was designed to fill exactly that role?

* Where "The Force" = "psi," which I think it clearly does. :)
I don't actually have that Pyramid issue yet, so couldn't very well suggest that method. I take it the Psi-Sword is an artifact?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Because I had Basic and Magic to work with, and the 8d(5) burn Force Sword in the former was too powerful to fit fantasy adventure well? This post was the first I heard of a psi-sword, and I don't know what book it's in.

The framework for using the (Whatever) Jet spell + Power existed back in 3e and the reduced enchantment costs from DF made it a (more) viable option.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
B
The framework for using the (Whatever) Jet spell + Power existed back in 3e and the reduced enchantment costs from DF made it a (more) viable option.
Except for the "Bottomless Containers" at 11+ lbs, what reduced cost? $20/point is the cost for second hand items given in GURPS Magic.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, star wars