Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Anaraxes

Default Re: Linking Warp with Innate Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I'd be tempted to go a different route, however--give the Innate Attack Uncontrollable Trigger (Using Warp) and Uncontrollable Only.
I don't see an "Uncontrollable Only" (Basic/Powers/Supers). There's "Unconscious Only". What does Uncontrollable Only do?

Uncontrollable means you have to make Will rolls whenever you're under stress to prevent the ability from activating. The GM plays your ability if you fail, "playing it as though it were an entity of prankish or hostile nature". You can still choose to activate it. Unconscious means you can no longer choose to activate the ability; it operates only under GM control when under stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers 106
Uncontrollable Trigger:Your ability manifests uncontrollably in the presence of an item, not stress
The character can choose when to Warp, and thus when the explosion occurs. I don't think that qualifies as as uncontrolled even in the casual sense. It doesn't fit the definition of Uncontrolled unless you're willing to have the explosions start going off in the midst of your group whenever you're in combat. And you're still left with the problem of activation when you choose to activate it. You could have a willful explosion, or you could choose to Warp.

The problem comes in when you want to do both things at the same time with a single Maneuver, which is what Link is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble Thorn
You can simple declare two separate advantages are part of the same power. This is especially easy if they are always on.
If the abilities are always on, then Link is irrelevant. It only affects activation of abilities.

If you could always simply choose to gang two attacks or switchable abilities together, what then would be the point of the 10% version of Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B106
Link

You can use two or more advantages simultaneously, as if they were a single ability. For +10%, your abilities are permanently linked into a single power, and must be used together – you cannot use them separately. For+20%, you can also use them separately.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Dalren

Thanks to everyone that's helping build this power. I'm really looking to build something similar to the Warp ability that the sorcerer uses in the Last Stand mode of Dawn of War II. A few points of clarification might help direct this discussion.

1) I'm most likely only going to use a single level of area with emanation. The blast is only a single ring of hexes around the hex I Warp into.

2) I don't plan to use a large amount of damage. I will probably only be using 1d or 2d of damage in a 700 point supers game, so being able to trigger the ability multiple times per maneuver (each jump of a rapid fire Warp) would be ideal. I believe linking Warp and Innate Attack will cover this, but I'm unsure on if both advantages would require Rapid Fire if built this way or only the Warp ability (since the Innate Attack triggers from successful Warps).

3) I will be giving the Innate Attack the Selective Area enhancement so that I can use it without harming allies around me. I'm not changing the area of effect so much as protecting my allies from the effect. The damage is not so much an explosion as much as I'm pulling raw warp energy along with me when I complete the teleport. Through experience and magic, I am able to temporarily shield allies/innocent from the warp energy. As a result of Selective Area, the higher level of Link would be redundant.
Dalren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
the_matrix_walker

Just build your innate attack as if it were an always on Area Effect Aura, then add the limitation "only immediately after a Teleport". No link required.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
Dalren

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Just build your innate attack as if it were an always on Area Effect Aura, then add the limitation "only immediately after a Teleport". No link required.
Are you allowed to combine Always On with Triggers or Accessibility limitations? I didn't think you could.
Dalren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #15
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalren View Post
Are you allowed to combine Always On with Triggers or Accessibility limitations? I didn't think you could.
sure you can.

Flame aura could quite reasonably have Accessibility: Only in oxygenated areas -5%.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glowing eyes, innate attack, link, uses 1 roll instead of 2, warp