Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #11
SCAR

Default Re: Star Wars Force powers Divine Favor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Different compartments can have different AA configurations going on at once. Think of it as mental Duplication. So yes, Toni came up with an elegant CM build in his Saintly Power-Ups article specifically for having multiple learned prayers running at once. (I actually recommend that article, along with the original Dungeon Saints one, strongly for anyone using Divine Favor -- they're effectively an optional expansion for the system in general, not just specifically DF.)
Using Compartmentalized Minds extra Mental Maneuvers to activate/maintain multiple Magic Spells or Psi Powers, etc has been covered in Psionic Powers and other publications, applying the same to Learned Prayers seems perfectly logical.

The part I'm most interested in understanding is using more than 1 ability from a set of Alternate Abilities - which I've raised on the forums previously.

Paying full cost for the 2 most expensive abilities (Divine Favor and the most expensive Learned Prayer in this case), while keeping the abilities bound into the set of Alternate Abilities is a possibility.

Quote:
Different compartments can have different AA configurations going on at once.
For there not to be a point crock, the different AA configurations must have been paid for, having a single instance of DF with LP's bought at 1/5th cost as AAs, and then using mutiple LPs at the same time isn't going to work - so the issue is handling multiple AA configurations of LPs, without it become a mathematical juggling act.

Buying the N-1 most expensive Learned Prayers at full cost, while keeping them bound into the AA's for Compartmentalized Mind N, seems awkward to keep track of points wise, and Full Cost abilities still bound into a AA has it's quirks.

I don't think Buying DF multiple times seems right*, especially if they're for different Gods, as you'd still be bound to using only 1 LP for each God's DF at a time, because each set of LPs would be a distinct set of AA's.

*It occurs to me that using Divine Favor in a similar manner to Modular Abilities might work - buy multiple levels of Divine Favour like Modular Ability Slots - e.g. Modular Divine Favor (10,8,5) for [70+45+20=135 points], and then buying LPs as AA's of this single Modular Divine Favor Ability. You can then use One LP up to level 10, a Second LP up to level 8 and a Third LP up to level 5, all at the same time, without buying the LPs multiple times.
There is still the accounting problem that the above [135] points on 3x Modular DF Slots, is enough Points for Divine Favor 13 - so the player might want to learn some level 13 Prayers, which could only be used 1 at a time, so you've got to juggle the total points spent on Modular DF Slots, to handle different configurations - e.g. [135] points could also be (12,6) or (8,8,8) - but that's the same basic mechanic as Modular Abilities, so maybe its fine.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
PK

I've edited my post for clarity. I was trying to convey that Antoni Ten's articles were very useful in general as an expansion for the Divine Favor system -- not that every single part of them should be considered canonical in every genre! As always, Pyramid stuff is "quasi-canonical" at best.

SCAR, to address your point: Yes, you're correct that it's possible (though difficult) to turn this into a point crock. So the new Dual Prayers trait (from Pyramid #3/50) shouldn't be taken as a general ruling. But in a "quick-and-simple" game like Dungeon Fantasy, it's just simplest to rule that Dual Prayers allows the saint to have multiple AA configurations spread among his various minds. (In retrospect, I probably should have insisted that he add some form of Cosmic to that build. Ah, well. If it ever makes it into a Dungeon Fantasy book, I shall.) But this isn't a new, universal rule. Sorry if I misspoke and confused things.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
SCAR

Quote:
I've edited my post for clarity. I was trying to convey that Antoni Ten's articles were very useful in general as an expansion for the Divine Favor system -- not that every single part of them should be considered canonical in every genre! As always, Pyramid stuff is "quasi-canonical" at best.
I do really like Divine Favor, and Antoni's Dungeon Saints articles merges it into Dungeon Fantasy so well it looks like it was there all the time.

Quote:
SCAR, to address your point: Yes, you're correct that it's possible (though difficult) to turn this into a point crock. So the new Dual Prayers trait (from Pyramid #3/50) shouldn't be taken as a general ruling. But in a "quick-and-simple" game like Dungeon Fantasy, it's just simplest to rule that Dual Prayers allows the saint to have multiple AA configurations spread among his various minds. (In retrospect, I probably should have insisted that he add some form of Cosmic to that build. Ah, well. If it ever makes it into a Dungeon Fantasy book, I shall.) But this isn't a new, universal rule. Sorry if I misspoke and confused things.
That's fair enough, as a DF specific ability it's neat; although I still can't quite get my mind around what the Dual Prayers is mechanically, but the effect is just fine.
Cosmic would increase the Cost, limiting the possible point crock; and anything more than Cosmic, +50% would possibly make it too expensive for the general utility.
It's intention seems to be to make the lower level Learned Prayers more attractive purchases with higher levels of Divine Favor, since they can be used without 'blocking' the power of the higher level of the core ability, which is a great idea.

Since Dual Prayers already has 'GM's Permission' in the description, any point crock issues could be resolved with additional GM limits, for example - additional Prayers in use have to be of a Lower Level that the main Divine Favor Level. - but that's another discussion.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divine favor, force, star wars