Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
philosophyguy

Default [DF1] Bard-Song questions

In Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers, the Bard template's powers have the Bard-Song power modifier. The wording is a little bit unusual: "Bard-Song abilities require the bard to sing or play a musical instrument at skill 14+; all effects end immediately if he stops."
  1. Is the 14+ skill level for base skill or effective skill?
  2. Why the 14+ level, rather than "succeed on a roll against Musical Performance"? I'm not aware of any other trait that uses this language; the closest that I know of is the restriction on taking some spells based on prerequisites.
  3. Does using Bard-Song abilities require a Concentrate/Ready maneuver? The while playing restriction makes it seem like the performance needs to be the actual action taken, much like casters need to concentrate on their spells.
  4. How is the -30% power modifier calculated?
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [DF1] Bard-Song questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophyguy View Post
Is the 14+ skill level for base skill or effective skill?
Prerequisites are base skill.
Quote:
Why the 14+ level, rather than "succeed on a roll against Musical Performance"? I'm not aware of any other trait that uses this language; the closest that I know of is the restriction on taking some spells based on prerequisites.
Many skills and abilities have prerequisites, not just spells.
Quote:
Does using Bard-Song abilities require a Concentrate/Ready maneuver? The while playing restriction makes it seem like the performance needs to be the actual action taken, much like casters need to concentrate on their spells.
Many Bard-Song abilities require Concentrate or other maneuvers, this doesn't remove that requirement. Otherwise singing or playing an instrument is probably a free-action (though instruments require hands and singing prevents talking).
Quote:
How is the -30% power modifier calculated?
It has the same environmental requirements and countermeasures as Magical (-10%); blocking hearing is a mundane countermeasure (-5%); "Only While Singing or Playing and Instrument" is an accessibility worth -20%. It's probably rounding to an even -30% because it is a PM (and to some extent the mundane countermeasure overlaps with the accessibility). Prerequisites are zero point limiting option features.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:25 AM   #3
philosophyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Many skills and abilities have prerequisites, not just spells.
But are there other skills that require the character to first take another skill at a specific level? That's the part that's unusual, and I'm curious where the 14+ choice came from. If the player had to roll against the skill, that gives an incentive for the player to put more points into the skill. As-is, the 14+ requirement seems arbitrary.
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #4
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophyguy View Post
But are there other skills that require the character to first take another skill at a specific level? That's the part that's unusual, and I'm curious where the 14+ choice came from. If the player had to roll against the skill, that gives an incentive for the player to put more points into the skill. As-is, the 14+ requirement seems arbitrary.
Pressure Secrets, Zen Archery, Enthralment, Musical Influence. As to why it's been used in this case – no idea. Niche protection, maybe?

Tags
bard, dungeon fanasy, dungeon fantasy 1, power