Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Collectible Card Game

Old 02-23-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
Bubbles21112

Default Rules question Warrior.

So this is a three part question.

1. For the warrior hero it's text reads. "Zap Deal 1 damage to target hero or monster"
Is this allowed when the monster is flipped over before any weapons do damage, or if no weapons were committed, and before the monster does damage to the opponent hero?

2 Location. Inhuman Society. The text reads "This comes into play zapped. Reduce the gold cost of committed monsters by 1 gold"
Is this ONLY for the warrior, or does this effect both players?

3 When an ally or loot has an ability, do they have to be committed to a fight for them to take effect. Such as "If you squish an opponent monster draw a card"
Bubbles21112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:21 AM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Rules question Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles21112 View Post
So this is a three part question.

1. For the warrior hero it's text reads. "Zap Deal 1 damage to target hero or monster"
Is this allowed when the monster is flipped over before any weapons do damage, or if no weapons were committed, and before the monster does damage to the opponent hero?
The face-down card is not a monster at this time. All you know is that your opponent has put a card out; it could be anything.

Quote:
2 Location. Inhuman Society. The text reads "This comes into play zapped. Reduce the gold cost of committed monsters by 1 gold"
Is this ONLY for the warrior, or does this effect both players?
Both players benefit from the effects of Location cards.

Quote:
3 When an ally or loot has an ability, do they have to be committed to a fight for them to take effect. Such as "If you squish an opponent monster draw a card"
The ability triggers whether or not the ally or loot has been committed. Note: If an ability states that the card _must_ be committed for the ability to take effect, that changes the answer.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Bubbles21112

I know it’s not a monster till it’s flipped which is why I said when it’s flipped face up and before weapons do damage to it.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #4
Aleph
Administrator

Once the monster has been hired, it is a valid target for abilities.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Nobunga

Follow-up to this question, once a monster has been hired, can the Centaur Warrior use her ability to deal damage to the monster BEFORE it deals damage to her?
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
Darryll
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobunga View Post
Follow-up to this question, once a monster has been hired, can the Centaur Warrior use her ability to deal damage to the monster BEFORE it deals damage to her?
Yes.

If someone successfully hires Lame Goblin, there are other steps before the conclusion of the fight that must be followed. Prior to the Goblin dealing damage, you can Zap your Warrior Hero and deal 1 damage to the Lame Goblin, ending it's miserable existence before it can deal it's 2 damage.

Project Manager
SJ Games
Darryll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
KennedyHawk

We had the same question after our first game last night can you point to the text in be online full rules that states other actions can happen after the monster is revealed. I thought we could only use effects that change the cost. Then weapon damage, monster damage, end fight.
KennedyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Asking Steve Jackson Games employees to back up their calls with specific rules entries comes across as much more hostile than I think you're probably meaning to.

In Section II subsection A:

"Players must be given a fair opportunity to respond to any action taken by their opponent. Playing quickly with the intent of reducing an opponent's opportunity to respond is a clear violation of the intended spirit of the game."

More specifically, actions are: Playing or activating an ability, or advancing to a new step or phase.

So moving from the monster ability to 'weapons deal damage' is advancing to a new step, and the defending player has an opportunity to play a mischief card if they choose. Even if nothing happens during a step, the step still happens and can be responded to.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
Bubbles21112

I don't see it as hostile, but I do get the confusing issue with abilities and such, as some cards say they are interrupts, and others don't.

Also, some locations say they effect both players, while others don't, so that's why I was confused about those too. I know the game is new, and things will change, but I think having people ask these questions will help get the rules flushed out.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:37 AM   #10
KennedyHawk

No one is trying to be hostile. We were simply asking a question about a game and it's rules on a forum. If we are going to smite people every time they ask a question then I'm already wanting out of this community.

Thank you for the rule book reference. This will be helpful when I teach people the game and question comes up. We have a lot of LCG and CCG players dabbling locally and they are all searching for a flow chart or something that shows them action windows. This paragraph clears that up but I'd still recommend SJG add some kind of timing chart to their rule book. I've seen this same question asked on the Facebook group about 6 times so it's currently easy to overlook.
KennedyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote