Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-03-2020, 06:32 AM   #301
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I'm kind of lost (fatigue, injury, side penalty) regarding calculating my current dodge skill so I'll revisit this after you roll the RHL.
Huh? I'm targeting the torso... I like your leg exactly how it is...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #302
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Huh? I'm targeting the torso... I like your leg exactly how it is...
We're splitting torso into chest (-0) and abdomen (-1) per Low-Tech :)

My normal dodge of 9 being +1 for one foe is 10...
side penalty -2 reduces that to 8...

I can't remember exact details but I think there was at least another -1 to that from FP loss so ... 7?

That's pretty low so I'd like to use some EE if I can. You said you had 3/10 AP... previously you agreed w/ my " I'm at 6/12 you're at 5/10 .." and you spend 2 (1 to turn, 1 to kick)

So I think if I spent 3 AP (reducing 6/12 to 3/12) my Feverish Dodge would be vs 9?

That's what I'll put in the roll log to see if it works, though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ...

and I got an 11 so again I wasted AP on Feverish Defence... really gotta stop doing that and just take your hits!

Go ahead and roll damage for your kick
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #303
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

3 damage. Are you going to roll with the blow or just take it?

1 AP for the dodge, 2 for the feverish defense. We're both at 3 AP... except for the damage you're about to take.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-21-2020, 05:31 PM   #304
Plane

I clicked 3d6 to roll with the blow, it was a 12 so it fails so I suffer the full damage (not sure if that means you still double knockback or not)

using RWB lowered my AP from 3 to 2..

Does that take me from 6/12 HP down to 3/12 HP?

Now HT roll to mitigate AP loss... got a 10... normally with HT 12 that woudl be MoS 2 but since effective HT is 10 due to FP loss it's MoS 1...

which lessens the AP loss from suffering 3 shock from -3 AP to -2 AP... which brings me to 0

So basically the HT MoS seems to have avoided the weird situation of what to do if AP loss goes negative, like if that's a forced FP burn or something.

I'll be taking AOD:double (-3 DX from shock would make attacking a bad idea even if I had the AP to spare) and using my step to back away from you, your turn again.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #305
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Do the under 1/3rd HP penalties kick in now?

Old 04-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #306
Plane

Quote:
Do the under 1/3rd HP penalties kick in now?
B419 my dodge/move is halved (rounded up) yup. That's something I'd love to eventually come up with a %-based leveling-off like what Cole did with FP penalties, but since I didn't ahead of time...

I guess I'll be relying on my parries more...

This does make me a bit confused in what order to apply fixed reductions (say -1 to dodge) vs % reductions, since that could affect the final in some cases.

Also: can my move even get lower at this point? *shrug* There are cases where I'd be okay going to fractional moves and taking multiple turns to move a single hex. Half-hex moves is something Decreased Time Rate might need to deal with anyway.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #307
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
B419 my dodge/move is halved (rounded up) yup. That's something I'd love to eventually come up with a %-based leveling-off like what Cole did with FP penalties, but since I didn't ahead of time...

That'd be a fun addition. It'd be weird to see how it interacts with the lost FP, but I think it would make for a stronger wounding system. My favorite wounding system for gurps is lwcamp's semi-cumluative wounding system, but that's almost not gurps anymore. Its still really good.

Quote:
I guess I'll be relying on my parries more...

This does make me a bit confused in what order to apply fixed reductions (say -1 to dodge) vs % reductions, since that could affect the final in some cases.
My instinct says multipliers, then adds, but I can't say way. Maybe you do less math that way? Maybe its the old order of operations training? maybe percent decreases tend to be more permanent and mods more situational? I do have firmly fixed in my mind that you normally halve the dodge and then add in modifiers, like if a guy at half dodge makes a retreat.

Quote:
Also: can my move even get lower at this point? *shrug* There are cases where I'd be okay going to fractional moves and taking multiple turns to move a single hex. Half-hex moves is something Decreased Time Rate might need to deal with anyway.

Well, what red would really like to do is walk a ways off, take a breather, and then return to this fight with green still in bad shape.

Old 05-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #308
Plane

Quote:
what red would really like to do is walk a ways off, take a breather, and then return to this fight with green still in bad shape.
That would definitely be easier for you if I were limited to moving 1 hex per 2 seconds rather than 1 hex per second, since to go faster than 1/second you need at least to initially spend some AP to accelerate even if it's 0 to maintain it.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #309
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
That would definitely be easier for you if I were limited to moving 1 hex per 2 seconds rather than 1 hex per second, since to go faster than 1/second you need at least to initially spend some AP to accelerate even if it's 0 to maintain it.

If maintenance is free...

Red spends 1 AP to turn 180 degrees, and 1 AP to accelerate to move 2. That leaves 1 AP left, and moving at this modest pace won't burn any more, so he can safely stop when he feels like it.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:36 AM   #310
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

thoughts? reactions? objections?