Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-18-2020, 03:32 AM   #1
corwyn

Default Nordlund et al

Citadel at Nordvorn (more of a setting than an adventure, I know)
Forests End
Tomb of the Dragon King

I'm looking for ways to combine these into one adventure/locale. The latter two seem to be a natural, third one might be a bit harder.

I just finished Hall of Judgement, bookended by I smell a rat and Attack of the rat-men. They are ready to leave Ifsjall on a journey to deliver a message to the family of a centuries old ghost. The wrestler in the party wants to grapple a dragon, so...

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Nordlund et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
The wrestler in the party wants to grapple a dragon, so...
Why do all Wrestlers want to wrestle a dragon? Is it the mightiest of warriors wanting to out might the mightiest of foes?

Maybe I'll have to shift Jednesa's dream foe... granted her wish is to rip the head off of a dragon with her bare hands*, so there is that. Maybe she'll just have to accept her dreams don't stray to far from the Wrestler path...

* She's ripped the head off of one of every foe she's faced†, some were dangerous to so (Doomchildren [BOOM] and Wights [FP damage to touch]) and one was pretty tough (Evil Cleric in Heavy Plate who had Blinded her). But so far no real challenges.

† Oh yeah, the Flame Lord. Couldn't rip it's head off so she kneed him in the groin to death.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:14 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Citadel at Nordvorn (more of a setting than an adventure, I know)
Forests End
Tomb of the Dragon King

I'm looking for ways to combine these into one adventure/locale. The latter two seem to be a natural, third one might be a bit harder.

I just finished Hall of Judgement, bookended by I smell a rat and Attack of the rat-men. They are ready to leave Ifsjall on a journey to deliver a message to the family of a centuries old ghost. The wrestler in the party wants to grapple a dragon, so...
For what it's worth, and certainly print versions won't be ready for a few months, but both The Dragons of Rosgarth and Forest's End, forthcoming from the Nordlond Sagas kickstarter, feature dragons, at least one wyvern, and dragonkin. Some can be wrestled.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Why do all Wrestlers want to wrestle a dragon? Is it the mightiest of warriors wanting to out might the mightiest of foes?
Well, in my player's case, he's playing the pre-gen wrestler from Hall who comes with a quirk to wrestle a dragon.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
For what it's worth, and certainly print versions won't be ready for a few months, but both The Dragons of Rosgarth and Forest's End, forthcoming from the Nordlond Sagas kickstarter, feature dragons, at least one wyvern, and dragonkin. Some can be wrestled.
Well, I already have the pdf draft for Forest's End that I'll potentially be starting tomorrow. They're about 290 points - is that enough? Alternatively, I could insert the Dragon King into that area and start with that. When will we see a draft of Rosgarth?

Old 01-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Well, I already have the pdf draft for Forest's End that I'll potentially be starting tomorrow. They're about 290 points - is that enough? Alternatively, I could insert the Dragon King into that area and start with that. When will we see a draft of Rosgarth?
290 points should be perfect for Forest's End; some of the challenges there are tough.

Rosgarth is harder to say. We're working through editing and supplemental material right now, and I hope to have that in hand by the end of the coming week...but life keeps interfering with my game production desires these days, and so I am being far, far more wishy-washy on this.

I'm working with my cartographer on the maps (five or six total); three of the city of Jarngarđr, and two or three more of the adventuring areas.

I'm afraid it'll be a few more weeks before there's something solid to get to backers. That being said, dropping a competing dragon into the mix might be really interesting.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
corwyn

Well, it will likely be 4-6 weeks before I run a second session of this game; can you give me a hint about what to run or not run from Forest's End or Dragon King that would dove tail into Rosgarth?

Old 01-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #8
DouglasCole

Quote:
Well, it will likely be 4-6 weeks before I run a second session of this game; can you give me a hint about what to run or not run from Forest's End or Dragon King that would dove tail into Rosgarth?
The good news is you've picked the right order. Kyle is aiming Rosgarth at 300-point adventurers, so Forest's End --> Rosgarth is about right.

I'm not as familiar with Dragon King; I'd have to see if I own it and if I don't, pick up a copy.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #9
corwyn

Tomb of the Dragon King is DF Adventures 2, a 36 page adventure. It looks like it would fit as one of the things going on in Forest's End.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:49 PM   #10
Dalin

Quote:
Tomb of the Dragon King is DF Adventures 2, a 36 page adventure. It looks like it would fit as one of the things going on in Forest's End.
If I were going to insert Tomb of the Dragon King, I would use Skógurenda in place of Broken Fang Point. It even suggests that the palace is up a river from there, so you could just put it along the Sálsigti Ána on the way to the Rosgarth ruins.

I'd change some of the lore from the adventure to make it mesh better with the material in Forest's End. I might demote the dragon from king to unspecified rank to avoid too many dragon realms along this stretch of river. Although, with the original dragons arriving in Midgard "tens of thousands" of years ago and Vaesukir dying 3000 years ago, there's plenty of room for different kingdoms that overlap spatially but not temporally. TotDK merely says that the king and queen had their epic battle "centuries past." Looking at the timeline in Forest's End, Audreyn's Wall was completed 1275 years ago. One idea might be to read "centuries past" as more than ten centuries and have the dragon kingdom be part of the impetus that led to the construction of Audreyn's Wall.

This sounds pretty fun!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote