Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #41
dataweaver

Default Re: Challenge for settings:GURPS TOON

Slight modification to the question: how would Disney Afternoon characters (Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, Bonkers, Quack Pack, Gargoyles) be addressed?

In general, I'd put most of them in a single category, what I'd call the "default toon". The exceptions would be Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers (features a parallel society of animals living alongside humans), Bonkers (the "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" style of human/toon relations), and Gargoyles (animated characters, but not really toons at all).

A few items from TV Tropes that might be useful:

Sliding Scale of Anthropomorphism

The Animation Age Ghetto

But beware the addictive nature of that site.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #42
gruundehn

In TOON if a character takes enough damage to "Fall Down" the character is out of action for a period of real time world and then returns to the action with all injuries healed. How to do that in GURPS is the question; I presume that it would require a unique Advantage for all Toons in the game as part of a meta-trait or whatever. This does not require regeneration of any sort for the character unless the player takes it to represent being able to just "wipe off" damage during the action. It all depends on where on the Slapstick / Realism line you place the game.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #43
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruundehn View Post
In TOON if a character takes enough damage to "Fall Down" the character is out of action for a period of real time world and then returns to the action with all injuries healed. How to do that in GURPS is the question; I presume that it would require a unique Advantage for all Toons in the game as part of a meta-trait or whatever. This does not require regeneration of any sort for the character unless the player takes it to represent being able to just "wipe off" damage during the action. It all depends on where on the Slapstick / Realism line you place the game.
What?

No, this is pretty much cantonal 'unkillable 2', fragile: unnatural, and regeneration.

You can add 'immediate preparation required' to make it not combat useful.

I actually suggested a build that would do this for toons several pages back. Basically by making them unkillable but having minimal offensive capability they would be able to interact with 'normal' humans in a relatively 'benign' way (where its very hard for a toon to kill a human, but able to harm or annoy them easily)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, toon