Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #21
Refplace

Default Re: Challenge for settings:GURPS TOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Maybe this could work using the same mechanic as the modified Destiny advantage from MH, but Destiny for funniness / silliness rather than something heroic... :-)
Clean and Simple.
I am liking this thread, its fun.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #22
gruundehn

On the slapstick combat, remember that a bananna cream pie does as much damage as a 105mm howitzer - that is, whatever is funny.
Yes, Toon was heavily WB, in fact it proably could have been titled WB Cartoon Game System without serious problems, except maybe WB wanting a piece of the cash flow.
I like the idea of Cartoon Points, or Funny Points, or Whatever Points enabling the character to act outside of the rules. One of the primary assumption of cartoons, the silly kind especially, is that reality is optional.
I still want to play.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #23
Refplace

For damage I think Affliction might be the main attack.
It makes the damage more even without having to worry about HP and also allows for some interesting effects.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
dataweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Maybe this could work using the same mechanic as the modified Destiny advantage from MH, but Destiny for funniness / silliness rather than something heroic... :-)
In particular, the "Other Uses for Points" box on page 31 works quite nicely as a baseline list of the sorts of things that comedy points should be able to do.

That said, that list only covers one side of it: namely, how comedy points can be spent. IMHO, a bit more needs to be done on the "how they are earned" side of things. The core premise should be that if you hinder yourself in some way in the name of being funny, you should be rewarded for it. A very common example of this is that inflicting real, lasting injuries on your opponent isn't funny; so nerfing your own attack (in effect, declaring that it will automatically be a Flesh Wound) can net you a comedy point — assuming that the attack is done for humor, of course. And Wile E. Coyote is the master of Selling Successes: downgrading a success to a failure or critical failure because it's funnier if the attempt to propel a boulder through the air instead deposits it on his head. (Of course, he then spends a comedy point to turn the crushing impact into a flesh wound, because it wouldn't be funny if he was actually killed by it.)

One other thing to note: reducing an injury to a Flesh Wound should not mitigate the immediate effects of the damage. The toon should still be in pain, knocked down/sent flying, etc. based on the damage taken prior to turning it into a flesh wound.

Last edited by dataweaver; 04-02-2012 at 05:25 PM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #25
Psychotime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruundehn View Post
On the slapstick combat, remember that a bananna cream pie does as much damage as a 105mm howitzer - that is, whatever is funny.
What kind of cartoons have you been watching?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
gruundehn

Right now I'm renting the Loony Toons series Psychotime, but it has been said that I have a weird sense of humor. I resent the accusation that I have a sense of humor. But if I did, it would be weird. Then again,
Old 04-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #27
Psychotime

What era? Clampett? Jones? The move to TV? Pre-Clampett?

Hell, maybe you're going as far as Bosco the Talk-Ink Kid.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #28
Opellulo

The idea for the classic WB Cartoon is "Everything could happen as long as it's funny" think something like a Cosmic God-like Power:
Toon Gag! (physical only; accessibility: as long as it's funny)

Obviouly it should have an illogical point cost but since is an advantage for all the characters of the setting this is not important.

On the other hand, a more worked toon meta-trait for a "Who framed Roger Rabbit" like setting could be a real challenge.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I've thought for a while (like since the late 80s) that running a game based on Who Censored Roger Rabbit (the original novel) would be pretty interesting, but I always thought you could use Toon rules for the toons and GURPS for the rest of the world. You just need rules to figure out how they interact.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #30
gruundehn

Sir Pudding, do you know where I could buy a copy of Who Censored Roger Rabbit? I've done web searches and come up only with the movie and I want the book - I have the movie and like it, but I want the book as well.

EDIT: I found and read the book. The movie is not very similar but both are enjoyable

Last edited by gruundehn; 02-08-2016 at 08:51 AM.
gruundehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, toon