Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
Alden Loveshade

Default What Magic Spell Gets Rid of Parasites?

In GURPS Magic (4th edition), Cure Disease gets rid of diseases, but doesn't specify parasites. Remove Contagion does not clean "living creatures;" Cleansing does rid a person of foreign matter, "but not internal (parasites)." So what magic spell short of a Lesser Wish gets rid of parasites?

Here's a related question. Does Resist/Immunity for Disease give resistance/immunity to parasites? While it doesn't seem clear in 4th edition, in 3rd edition GURPs Immunity to Disease does not give immunity to "larger parasites."

If someone gets a parasite in a low Tech Level world, say TL 3, how can you get rid of a parasite? Especially when you have a beloved character who got infected with one that, if not removed, will mean death.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Randover

Default Re: What Magic Spell Gets Rid of Parasites?

I would think something like this. Virus is a parasite. Cure disease gets you rid of viruses so its help you against parasites.
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:18 AM   #3
Refplace

Unless its a heavy based medical game I would say Cure Disease kills small internal parasites but not external ones nor large ones that would be fictional.
Cure Disease is a power that somehow recognizes and kills off bad germs but not beneficial ones. Bigger parasites might require their own spell
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:17 AM   #4
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
If someone gets a parasite in a low Tech Level world, say TL 3, how can you get rid of a parasite? Especially when you have a beloved character who got infected with one that, if not removed, will mean death.
If GURPS has specific rules for dealing with parasitic infestation, I haven't seen them... but this sounds like a below-game-resolution issue, which suggests your GM is in homebrew territory.

The most likely options seem to be Cure Disease (you could make a case that at TL3/4 they didn't distinguish between a medical problem caused by a virus or bacteria, and an internal parasite too small to be apparent, therefore the spell should be effective in both cases), Surgery, or (if the parasite isn't located in the head/torso) amputation followed by Regeneration.

Failing that, stick 'em in Suspended Animation, make a new character, and go on a quest for the cure.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:53 AM   #5
Anders

It will probably be dealt with in Low-Tech. (joke)
Old 06-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
If GURPS has specific rules for dealing with parasitic infestation, I haven't seen them... but this sounds like a below-game-resolution issue, which suggests your GM is in homebrew territory.

The most likely options seem to be Cure Disease (you could make a case that at TL3/4 they didn't distinguish between a medical problem caused by a virus or bacteria, and an internal parasite too small to be apparent, therefore the spell should be effective in both cases), Surgery, or (if the parasite isn't located in the head/torso) amputation followed by Regeneration.

Failing that, stick 'em in Suspended Animation, make a new character, and go on a quest for the cure.
Sterilize ought to do the trick but has inconvenient side effects (deals damage to the target)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #7
Randover

No. I truly realy vote for Cure Disease. As always it might remove the parasite but not the damage he already did in body. Dispite what I found to be common belive poinsons and diseases work almost the same, after some time they do damage. If it takes long enought they might actualy create disadvatage.

The only problem with cure disease spell is that it works...it always works. Unless the parasite, virus, bacteria whatever is magicaly resistant.

Then it might require several casting of the spell. But resistant parasite is already homerule....
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
LemmingLord

How about death touch witht he parasite as target?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
malloyd

I'd agree on Cure Disease. Read literally the 4e version works on any disease or infection whatsoever, both quite vague words, so it will work fine against parasites, cancers, autoimmune disorders, mental illnesses, genetic diseases, cumulative poisons named as diseases, disease spirits, Alien chest bursters... Some GMs might limit some of those and require other spells, but that's what it says it does.

The 3e version is a little more restrictive confusing diseases with infectious microorganisms, but again read literally looks like it should work against any organism causing a disease OR any infectious microorganism whether it causes a disease or not.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
So what magic spell short of a Lesser Wish gets rid of parasites?
Body of Flames?
munin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, immunity, magic, parasites, resistant