Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Nightmaster

Default Hos to properly use the Chip Slots in the GCA

I am trying to create a cyborg scientist and one option that I have see is the ability to use chip slots. They cost points but I really dont get how I use then to add a given skill to my character.

Can someone help me?
Nightmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Hos to properly use the Chip Slots in the GCA

Chip Slots, like all Modular Abilities, allows the character to swap one ability for another on-the-fly.

If you want to add an ability to the character as part of their standard Chip loadout the best way to to simply add the ability then add the modifier _Free to that ability. Skills, like all other traits on the character, can have modifiers applied to them. So you would:

1. Add the Chip Slots advantage; this will prompt you for the name of the first slot (you can simply click OK) and how many points you want to have in the slot (type in how many points and click OK).
  2. Add the skill to the character with the desired number of points applied. If you already have the skill on the character and wish the Chip to add additional points simply take the Racial Skill Point Bonus advantage instead, then rename it to Chip Slot Skill Point Bonus
  3. Select the added skill or advantage, click the modifiers button (the Hammer and Chisel button in the lower-right, next to the Edit Button), select the _General category from the drop down menu in the Modifiers window, and add the _Free, *0 modifier to the trait. You may, optionally, Edit the _Free modifier to change the name to something more appropriate such as Chip Ability or some such.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:01 AM   #3
Nightmaster

Thanks that help a lot.

Is there a way to hide the "free" that appears beside the skill or advantage when you use that option in the modifiers? I find it rather ugly when I print the character sheet :)
Nightmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmaster View Post
Is there a way to hide the "free" that appears beside the skill or advantage when you use that option in the modifiers? I find it rather ugly when I print the character sheet :)
Depends on the character sheet you're using, but generally no you can't hide modifiers on advantages while they don't show up at all on skills when printed. That's why I suggested editing the "Free" modifier name to be something more appropriate like "Chip Ability"
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote