Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Jeminai

Default Invisibility and casting Missile spells.

In the spell description of Invisibility it states that "the spell ends instantly if the subject attacks, casts a combat spell, or does anything more violent than moving, spying, or stealing."

Is casting a fireball considered "casting a combat spell"? Casting it does not equate to attacking with it, Innate Attack: Projectile and an Attack maneuver is required to actually launch it which unequivocally would make the subject visible.

My question is do they become visible on the Concentration round that they cast the Missile spell or on the Attack round when they actually are being violent with it?

Also, if the caster remains invisible until s/he attacks, does that mean the angry roiling fire ball is also invisible?

I guess a second part to this is:

Casting Fear spell (regular spell) I believe would be a "combat spell" because it is directly attacking another person., but it is the same kind of spell as Might that I would cast on my buddy and directly affect him. What really constitutes a "Combat spell"?
Old 02-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
A Ladder

Default Re: Invisibility and casting Missile spells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
In the spell description of Invisibility it states that "the spell ends instantly if the subject attacks, casts a combat spell, or does anything more violent than moving, spying, or stealing."

Is casting a fireball considered "casting a combat spell"? Casting it does not equate to attacking with it, Innate Attack: Projectile and an Attack maneuver is required to actually launch it which unequivocally would make the subject visible.

My question is do they become visible on the Concentration round that they cast the Missile spell or on the Attack round when they actually are being violent with it?

Also, if the caster remains invisible until s/he attacks, does that mean the angry roiling fire ball is also invisible?

I guess a second part to this is:

Casting Fear spell (regular spell) I believe would be a "combat spell" because it is directly attacking another person., but it is the same kind of spell as Might that I would cast on my buddy and directly affect him. What really constitutes a "Combat spell"?
See my bolded parts of your quote. I think you answered the question yourself. Casting a missile spell is different than attacking with it. Casting a combat spell cancels Invisibility. No hiding with a charged up fireball ready to smite unsuspecting foes.

Your GM will probably let you know what combat spells are. In my games I would ask myself "Will a PC use this in combat?". Any "Yes" answers means canceled invisibility. In my games I don't let people go "Oh, I cast Might so Grog the Barbarian could lift the portcullis, not to hit people harder. So my invisibility is still up".
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote