Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Anime Fan

Default How to achieve a Dodge score of 12 with a realistic character - is it possible?

In one of the core GURPS rulebooks, it states that if you (your character) are planning on going unarmored, you should have a score of at least 12 in one or preferably several of Dodge, Parry, and Block. Question: Can this be done without making said character superhuman? To raise Parry and Block, you put points in melee weapon skill and shield/cloak skill, respectively. But your Dodge is based on your Speed+3. Speed, in turn, is (DX + HT)/4. To end up with a Dodge of 12, then, Speed must be at least a 9, which by my calculations requires DX and HT of 18 each (!), because (DX 18 + HT 18)/4 = 9, right? But I was embarrassed to play a character in D&D with such scores, much less in Gurps which is realistic. Is there another way to achieve Dodge 12 without creating Batman? I know that Combat Reflexes gives a +1, and that you can spend points to improve your Speed... is there anything else I'm missing, say an Advantage?
Anime Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Mathulhu

Default Re: How to achieve a Dodge score of 12 with a realistic character - is it possible?

Enhanced Defences (Dodge) +1 [15] is basically the same as +1 Basic Speed [20] and -1 Basic Move [-5]

A shield would be a good idea, a medium shield would raise a fairly average 10 to the desired 12.

Dodge is the best defence out there, apart from Blink but that's uber-dodge really, it is always going to be expensive.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
davidtmoore

Default Re: How to achieve a Dodge score of 12 with a realistic character - is it possible?

p. B17 allows you to buy your Basic Speed up by up to +2 in a realistic game, and Combat Reflexes adds +1. That drops your attribute requirement to a DX and HT of 12, which is positively banal. :)

EDIT: I was going to suggest Enhanced Dodge, but that's "definitely cinematic" according to the Basic Set. Basic Speed +2 is apparently realistic.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
vierasmarius

Combat Reflexes should definitely not be ignored in this. With that, you need "only" Speed 8 (DX and HT of 16) which is approaching the realistic peak of human capability. Further, Speed can realistically be modified by up to +2.0. At that point you only need DX and HT of 12, which is reasonable for a slightly above-average athlete or soldier.

As for Enhanced Dodge, there may be realistic martial arts styles that include an Unusual Training perk allowing 1 level to be gained.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Anthony

Well, that's really a modified dodge score, so if you have a DB from a shield or cloak that works. In any case, the ways you can boost dodge without explicitly cinematic characters are:
High basic attributes (getting more than about a 7 basic speed/10 dodge from attributes starts looking superhuman)
Combat Reflexes (+1)
Increased Basic Speed (up to +2)
Defense Bonus from a Shield or Cloak (up to +3, though a large shield may not fit your image and also might reduce your speed due to encumbrance; a heavy cloak with a DB of +2 is more likely)
Acrobatic Dodge (+2, but only once per turn and requires a separate acrobatics roll).

So, a 'normal' person with, say, DX 15/HT 13, combat reflexes, increased basic speed +2, a heavy cloak, and acrobatics skill would have a dodge of 15, increased to 17 with an acrobatic dodge.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
whswhs

There is also the Daredevil advantage, which gives you +1 to rolls when you're doing something reckless. Charging headlong into a fight, especially with someone better armed than you are, might count as reckless.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
There is also the Daredevil advantage, which gives you +1 to rolls when you're doing something reckless. Charging headlong into a fight, especially with someone better armed than you are, might count as reckless.
Daredevil only adds to skill rolls. It won't help with Dodge.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
davidtmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Acrobatic Dodge (+2, but only once per turn and requires a separate acrobatics roll).
On which note, of course, there's Retreating Dodge and the various other combat options that modify Dodge, for one or all dodges.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
gilbertocarlos

+2 Basic Speed
+1 Combat Reflexes
+2 DX and HT
Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
So, a 'normal' person with, say, DX 15/HT 13, combat reflexes, increased basic speed +2, a heavy cloak, and acrobatics skill would have a dodge of 15, increased to 17 with an acrobatic dodge.
I have to look at Doc Wynn again. She has a 15 dodge with ETS, increased speed, and Enhanced Dodge. Of course she isn't even remotely realistic. Of course, she doesn't fight with a cloak or shield.

Of course, the OP wanted stats no higher than 12.

Edit: Ignore last sentence, please.

Last edited by DangerousThing; 12-04-2013 at 07:38 PM.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote