Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
patchwork

Default Infinite Worlds Supers worlds -how many?

Because I'm compulsive and tend to hoard crap, I recently went through 12 years worth of the older Pyramids looking for an answer. Something I noticed in passing is how often integrating Infinite Worlds and IST comes up, and how it was addressed differently each time.

The recent article says its a timeline or skerry of timelines on Quantum 3, but it used to be two timelines called "Krypton", with one on Q6 and one on Q7. Then there's Kirby-2, which may or may not be IST (probably not) on Q5, and references to a third IST timeline (rebels) I can't find any real info on.

I was wondering what approaches other people have taken. New info supersedes old, so "Kryptons" are retconned out of existence? Everything is true and nothing is forbidden, so that there's a bare minimum of 5 modern superhero timelines in the canon?
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
samd6

Default Re: Infinite Worlds Supers worlds -how many?

How many make it interesting?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

My super universe started through a reality quake destroying a "nearby" reality, and shooting a survivor chronoclast with weirdness magnet: origins into it.

One super had the misfortune of developing powers by falling into an outhouse the main super had used earlier that day. He of course keeps that a VERY tightly held secret. :)
Old 10-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Well, you can get a faint guess on how common they are from the random generation tables:

on Q6:

4/6 *4/6 *27/36 *2/6*4/36 = 128*27/6^7 =2^7*27/6^7=3^3/3^7=1/3^4=1/81

off Q6 the odds are 1/54.

and in basic it says there are about 950 known worlds, with about 400 on Q6.

so there are about 5 on Q6, and 10 on the others.

this is if you take the random generation tables as representative of the overall population of the setting. which you may not.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
patchwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
How many make it interesting?
From a personal standpoint, zero; I don't feel that Infinity and supertypes mix very well, and they're used to explore different themes and ideas. However, players really like them.

I suppose I can refine the question by saying what can supers combine with to make a good story? If on Q3, it's Infinity versus the Reich, 6 and 7 are Infinity versus Centrum, and 5 is Infinity versus Homeline rogues.

An interesting approach, Eric; I'll have to have another look and see what I think of those tables. Stay tuned (gut response: supers in low-tech settings can be good, it's modern superheroes in close parallels that pose difficulties. So let's see...)
Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

I don't see why super worlds are less mixable than super science. It's only a problem if you allow them to take their genre with them along with their powers cross-time.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
patchwork

A good point about the genre conventions not traveling with them; I may scrawl that on a wall as a reminder.

As to the difference - superscience is something you know or something you possess. Your toys can break or get taken away, or circumstances can mitigate against them. You can also share them and teach them to others. Superpowers are more something you are; they're not usually transferable or suppressible, and the question of whether or not a super is human is a valid one. Thus, supers stories are often about individual identity, while superscience stories usually aren't.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
A good point about the genre conventions not traveling with them; I may scrawl that on a wall as a reminder.

As to the difference - superscience is something you know or something you possess. Your toys can break or get taken away, or circumstances can mitigate against them. You can also share them and teach them to others. Superpowers are more something you are; they're not usually transferable or suppressible, and the question of whether or not a super is human is a valid one. Thus, supers stories are often about individual identity, while superscience stories usually aren't.
I know enough about just Superman comic covers to know that suppressing and transferring powers is darn common.
But I was mainly thinking that superscience and super powers are both universe specific "break the laws of physics as we know them" features... unless the GM allows individuals to world jump as a PC like the vampire in the core book.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
combatmedic
Banned

The way I see it 'super powers' are like magic or psionics. Powers may not work at all in a given timeline/world, based on local rules of reality. They may work, but be diminished or altered.

Can a human superhero fly (under his own power, no wings) or lift tanks in Homeline? IMO, no, he cannot. Just as a mage can't hurl fireballs.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

That is why the -10% Supers limitation should be required for such super characters... again unless you want to allow the odd super PC.

Tags
infinite worlds, international super teams