Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Bandii

Default GURPS IST - Character Aging Question

I have vague memories of there being some implication that Supers with the "Seeder" genes aged more slowly than mere mortal normals. But I can't seem to find an actual reference for it. I even have some vague recollection that it was something stated or implied by Bob Schroeck, but subsequent searches for this topic have resulted in nothing.

Does anyone know if this is actually a thing or simply a fevered imagining of mine? Both are likely scenarios.

-Mike
Bandii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: GURPS IST - Character Aging Question

Seeder genes can let you buy more life-extending advantages than a regular person could be expected to have, not the least of which is lots of HT, and it allows the genre convention of superheroes remaining in their prime condition and appearance for many decades.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandii View Post
I have vague memories of there being some implication that Supers with the "Seeder" genes aged more slowly than mere mortal normals. But I can't seem to find an actual reference for it. I even have some vague recollection that it was something stated or implied by Bob Schroeck, but subsequent searches for this topic have resulted in nothing.
You might be thinking of this bit out of Drunkard's Walk II, chapter 9: "I've got the usual mutant life-extension genes."

While both Drunkard's Walk and GURPS IST were written by Bob, and the setting for the former heavily inspired the latter, the two are not the same setting...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
I have vague memories of there being some implication that Supers with the "Seeder" genes aged more slowly than mere mortal normals.
Do you mean some supers or all supers? Certainly some of them age more slowly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.S.T page 69
John Bull is the metahuman commander of the Buckingham Palace guards. He is one of the toughest men in the world; in 1944, he airdropped into occupied France without a parachute, and he looks perhaps half his true age of 70.

The mutant "Drifter" has unaging [15], I.S.T page 104.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Nosforontu

Quote:

Does anyone know if this is actually a thing or simply a fevered imagining of mine? Both are likely scenarios.

-Mike
I can see where that might be played at in a supers setting especially since so many classic super heroes seem to be essentially frozen at one generic age point through out their comics run. I have certainly done similar things when designing super NPCs where in staying within the broad genere conventions all of my NPC supers who are not designed to fade into the back ground have either a positive or negative appearance modifier as their is almost no average looking super heroes in cartoons, comics or movies unless that is somehow their trick.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
I can see where that might be played at in a supers setting especially since so many classic super heroes seem to be essentially frozen at one generic age point through out their comics run. I have certainly done similar things when designing super NPCs where in staying within the broad genere conventions all of my NPC supers who are not designed to fade into the back ground have either a positive or negative appearance modifier as their is almost no average looking super heroes in cartoons, comics or movies unless that is somehow their trick.
Just give them this 0-point metatrait:

Mutant Lifespan [0]
Early Maturation 5 [0]; Extended Lifespan 5 [10]; Self-Destruct [-10].

You age normally until age 18, whereupon your aging drastically slows; roughly 1 biological year for every 50 (49.4375) chronological years that pass, until age 1,600 (at which point you appear to be aged about 50), when you must start making aging rolls every 32 days at HT-3.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Bandii

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
You might be thinking of this bit out of Drunkard's Walk II, chapter 9: "I've got the usual mutant life-extension genes."

While both Drunkard's Walk and GURPS IST were written by Bob, and the setting for the former heavily inspired the latter, the two are not the same setting...
That was it. Thanks for reminding me. I'm planning on using some kind of retarded aging thing for the seeder gene supers in my campaign write-up. My intention is that it just be a Perk version of the advantage that preserves the Supers a bit but doesn't have the massive impact of a bunch of supers with lifespans in the hundreds of years.

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Bandii

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Do you mean some supers or all supers? Certainly some of them age more slowly:

The mutant "Drifter" has unaging [15], I.S.T page 104.
All Supers whose powers are the result of an active seeder gene.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Bandii

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Just give them this 0-point metatrait:

Mutant Lifespan [0]
Early Maturation 5 [0]; Extended Lifespan 5 [10]; Self-Destruct [-10].

You age normally until age 18, whereupon your aging drastically slows; roughly 1 biological year for every 50 (49.4375) chronological years that pass, until age 1,600 (at which point you appear to be aged about 50), when you must start making aging rolls every 32 days at HT-3.
I'd probably go a little lower than that for most supers. Most likely a Perk version of Extended Lifespan.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
robkelk
Untitled

I asked Bob about this. His reply: "There is no automatic life-extension for supers in the IST World."

So you're going to have to spend points on it if you want it...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 09-15-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Bob's forum has moved - updating the link to this answer
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
international super teams