Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #21
kirbwarrior

Default Re: What is 4E Luck specifically *not* allowed to affect?

I can't remember the book or page, but somewhere you can get Cosmic: Affects effects tables +50%.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
Ulzgoroth

I had the idea that luck was forbidden from tampering with success rolls for enchanting. Is this real? I'll check Magic later if nobody brings in the answer first.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #23
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post

What is "outside events" meant to cover?
Random rolls for stuff that affects you which aren't made by any clearly identifiable person in the game world; e.g., when the GM assesses odds ("The bus is early on 1-2 on 1d," or, "On 8 or less, there's a redhead in the room."), or rolls to see whether the rotting board's HT holds up when you walk on it, the trap that hits on 12 or less actually hits you, etc. This is separate from rolls that you make; from reaction rolls on your behalf; and from attack rolls made against you. In effect, the last two are specific, exceptional cases where you can affect others' rolls, sort of.

"Outside events" are very specifically meant to be impersonal – stuff like being hit by mindless traps, winning the lottery, and boarding a jet with a bad engine – because lucky people tend to win lotteries and avoid random harm. It's a common misinterpretation to assume that "enemies' rolls that could affect you in combat" are included, but that misreading is a consequence of being able to force rerolls on direct attacks. You can't make an enemy miss his HT roll so he passes out before using his never-fails, sure-to-kill-you attack, or make him fail his defense against you. These aren't "outside events"; these are "enemy action other than attack rolls." Outside events are inherently impersonal.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post

I had the idea that luck was forbidden from tampering with success rolls for enchanting. Is this real? I'll check Magic later if nobody brings in the answer first.
Enchanting is a proper subset of ceremonial magic (Magic, p. 16), so you recall correctly.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
starslayer

So to summarize:

Luck does not cover:

->Ceremonial magic (including enchanting)- but as mentioned this is flavor rather then balance, discuss with your GM; or give it cosmic +50% 'ignores the no ceremonial magic rule'

->Enemy rolls not directly related to you- You can make your enemy not hit you (re-roll there attack); but you can't make them not defend you (re-roll there defense) or make them otherwise.

->Table rolls where they are suggestions (Critical failure effects, malfunction effects, what type of monster did you just wake up with your failed stealth roll, etc)- however they do cover the roll that could have generated the table lookup; effect that!

->Things the GM decides to set rather they leave to fate (The villain hates you, he/she does NOT roll on the reaction table, so you can't get them to RE-ROLL on the reaction table)

Luck does effect:
->Things that the GM decides to put to fate, even when they could have set them, IE- 'The munition you just hit with the hammer is old, I will roll 1d6, on a 1 it is a dud, otherwise....' Luck might be useful there!

->Your own rolls

->Rolls DIRECTLY effecting you (Your ally is casting great healing on you? You can get them to reroll; your enemy is casting burning death on you- same deal. Your enemy is casting deathtouch on themselves, not without wishing, but you can make them reroll there attempt to touch you in combat afterwards)

->Reaction rolls applied to you- though this will NOT magically eliminate TDMs, and the GM is free to just set a person's reaction in advance (see above), you also won't know what a person's reaction was, since they are rolled in secret; so it will largely only apply when you have already rolled quite well on a social influence roll AND are meeting a person for the first time (IE you spent all day preening yourself to meet the princess, you rolled a 7 on your savior-fair roll to make sure you dress eligantly and commit no embarrassing errors in your dress, like crossing your garters when straight garters are in season; you identify to the GM before the princess is revealed that you will use your luck on her reaction roll)

With wishing:

Can not do:
->Ceremonial Magic
->Table rolls
->Set items

Can do:
->Any roll taking place in your general presence (More if you give your wishing luck range)

Anything missing?
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #26
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
... It's living canon.
Even the mistakes? :D
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #27
Jasonft

Thanks all, that helps a lot. It's pretty much what I expected but I was about 40% sure I had seen/ heard there were a couple other things.

I honestly wasn't sure one way or the other about being able to affect things like the botch table - even for as powerful as Luck is in a clever player's hands that seemed a bit much.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Even the mistakes? :D
Living mean, healing is possible ;)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #29
ErhnamDJ

How about Patron and Ally appearance rolls? I seem to recall that you can't Luck those. Or am I thinking of something from Divine Favor?
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #30
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
How about Patron and Ally appearance rolls? I seem to recall that you can't Luck those. Or am I thinking of something from Divine Favor?
Those are normally rolls made by the GM, and not "success rolls," so I'd say no, luck doesn't affect them. However, if Ally has been modified with Summonable I'd probably allow luck to influence.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
luck