Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default Four-Colour IST

Inspired by Phil Masters' comments here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Yeah. I'd rate this as a good enough piece of work on its own terms (especially given the price), but it's not really about fitting the GURPS IST setting into Infinite Worlds. It's more about fitting a four-colour silver-age-to-modern superhero universe (which happens to have a UN agency called IST) into Infinite Worlds. Not the same thing.
Now I'm really interested in a version of IST as a four-colour silver-age-to-modern superhero universe. There's a lot that could be added to it, using just items from other GURPS books.

Adding the Cabal to the IST-verse would definitely expand the supernatural side, for example. And I know I can't be the only one who's added the species of GURPS Aliens to the list of star-faring species in that universe.

Now I guess I just need to start designing this universe's Superman Alternate Company Equivalent...
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Four-Colour IST

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Now I guess I just need to start designing this universe's Superman Alternate Company Equivalent...
The "Gurps Supers" archetype template is tailor made for Superman/Stalina like supers.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The "Gurps Supers" archetype template is tailor made for Superman/Stalina like supers.
Oh, I know that. I have GURPS Supers. But what I'm trying to figure out is this guy's character and origin. I was thinking of making him a living Reality Shard from another universe, but Freedom City's Centurion has a similar origin. Then again, I guess it's workable since I'm ripping off Superman anyway...
Old 11-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Mgellis

Quote:
Inspired by Phil Masters' comments here

Now I'm really interested in a version of IST as a four-colour silver-age-to-modern superhero universe. There's a lot that could be added to it, using just items from other GURPS books.

Adding the Cabal to the IST-verse would definitely expand the supernatural side, for example. And I know I can't be the only one who's added the species of GURPS Aliens to the list of star-faring species in that universe.

I agree. It looks like they changed a few things from the original IST setting, but I'm glad to finally see a "supers" timeline officially part of the Infinite Worlds setting. That fact that I.S.T. appears to be a robust skerry with various extra alternate worlds is even better!
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
I agree. It looks like they changed a few things from the original IST setting, but I'm glad to finally see a "supers" timeline officially part of the Infinite Worlds setting. That fact that I.S.T. appears to be a robust skerry with various extra alternate worlds is even better!
I think it might have been more fun to create a cluster of alternate worlds representing different superhero eras, with relatively easy travel among themselves but isolation from other alternates. Call it the Kirby Archipelago. Have one for the 1930s, one for the Golden Age, one for the Silver Age, etc.

- DW
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:08 AM   #6
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
I agree. It looks like they changed a few things from the original IST setting, but I'm glad to finally see a "supers" timeline officially part of the Infinite Worlds setting.
"They" didn't change (or not change) anything, really; the document simply talks about a four-colour supers universe within the Infinite Worlds frame, that shares one or two features with the IST world, but really doesn't look much like it. And that document is all the information that exists on the "four-colour-IST" world.

(Meanwhile, I'll refrain from muttering about Mandrake-1...)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
Cernig

Robert Schroeck has been muttering about wanting to do a 4e version of I.S.T (with sidebar alternate worlds varying from the standard I.S.T. for Infinite Worlds) for over a year now. Seems like SJG has finally decided it would be a good idea.
Cernig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cernig View Post
Robert Schroeck has been muttering about wanting to do a 4e version of I.S.T (with sidebar alternate worlds varying from the standard I.S.T. for Infinite Worlds) for over a year now. Seems like SJG has finally decided it would be a good idea.
From what I understand, SJGames has always thought it's a good idea; it's Bob who couldn't find the time to write it.

(Which is why, if you poke around on other parts of his forums, you'll find bits and pieces that we've written for him... but there's nowhere near enough for a complete supplement. Yet. And Bob would still have to compile the silly thing.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Oh, I know that. I have GURPS Supers. But what I'm trying to figure out is this guy's character and origin. I was thinking of making him a living Reality Shard from another universe, but Freedom City's Centurion has a similar origin. Then again, I guess it's workable since I'm ripping off Superman anyway...
The only survivor of an apocalypse gifted with strange unnatural powers... sounds reality shard to me.
Give him Weirdness magnet: origins magnet, and you've got the reason for powers existing at all, and also why they came about suddenly.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The only survivor of an apocalypse gifted with strange unnatural powers... sounds reality shard to me.
Give him Weirdness magnet: origins magnet, and you've got the reason for powers existing at all, and also why they came about suddenly.
Well, that was my first idea. My second idea is making this Archetype hero into the world's first "High-Powered" Metahuman.

Tags
international super teams