Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Hannes665

Default Gurps Supers 4e IST members.

Just for fun I began today to convert some of the NPC´s from Gurps Supers by Loyd Blankenship.

The first one, Black Pearl has 2 powers that I had some problem converting, Sense Fish and Control Fish. In the end I used Detect for Sense Fish and Control for for Control Fish. I do relize that neither powers are to be used for "living beings" but if any one else has a better Idea please post it here.

Sense Fish 4e.

Detect - 8 km radius (All Aquatic animals) (Common) (Precise; Long-Range (+2); Area Effect (8)) [80]

includes: x4 radius from 'Detect - 8 km radius (All Aquatic animals)'

Control Fish 4e.

Control All Aquatic life (7) (Collective; Ranged) [252]
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Hannes665

Default Re: Gurps Supers 4e IST members.

And here she is as I converted her. She was 500 points in 3e but 700 in 4e. Disads and Quirks 90 points in both versions. I did consider adding a new Disad or Quirk, Member of Greenpeace or Sense of duty to Marine life.

She had many diffrent skills that I combined into Biology/TL8 (Earthlike), skills like Ecology and Meterology.

Name: Pearl Moore - Black Pearl 4e (Orginal version on P S109)

Race: Human

Attributes [175]

ST 10

DX 12 [40]

IQ 14 [80]

HT 13 [30]

HP 10

Will 14

Per 19 [25]

FP 13

Basic Lift 20

Damage 1d-2/1d

Basic Speed 6.25

Basic Move 6

Ground Move 6

Water Move 6/48

Social Background

TL: 8 [0]

Cultural Familiarities: Orient - Japan [1].

Languages: English (Native) [0]; Japanese (Accented) [4].

Advantages [574]

Acute Hearing (2) [4]

Amphibious [10]

Appearance (Beautiful) [12]

Combat Reflexes [15]

Control All Aquatic life (7) (Collective; Ranged) [252]

includes: nobase damtype from 'Control All Aquatic life', spcl. damtype from 'Control All Aquatic life', nobase rangehalfdam from 'Control All Aquatic life', +10 rangehalfdam from 'Control All Aquatic life', nobase rangemax from 'Control All Aquatic life', +100 rangemax from 'Control All Aquatic life', nobase acc from 'Control All Aquatic life', +3 acc from 'Control All Aquatic life', nobase rof from 'Control All Aquatic life', 1 rof from 'Control All Aquatic life', nobase shots from 'Control All Aquatic life', n/a shots from 'Control All Aquatic life', nobase rcl from 'Control All Aquatic life', 1 rcl from 'Control All Aquatic life'

Danger Sense [15]

Dark Vision [25]

Detect - 8 km radius (All Aquatic animals) (Common) (Precise; Long-Range (+2); Area Effect (8)) [80]

includes: x4 radius from 'Detect - 8 km radius (All Aquatic animals)'

Doesn't Breathe (Gills) [10]

Enhanced Move (Water) (3) [60]

Nictitating Membrane (1) [1]

Pressure Support (3) [15]

Rapid Healing [5]

Regrowth [40]

Speak With Animals (All aquatic animals) [25]

Disadvantages [-85]

Bad Sight (Nearsighted) (Glasses) [-10]

Honesty (12 or less) [-10]

Sense of Duty (Anyone just and good) (Large Group) [-10]

Truthfulness (12 or less) [-5]

Vow (To rehabilitate) (Minor) [-5]

Vulnerability (Heat and fire) (Common) (x3) [-45]

Quirks [-5]

Doesnt like pets like dogs and cats [-1]

Profund distaste in sushi bars [-1]

Proud of her parents, her rollmodels [-1]

Tries to to work with the system [-1]

Wears seaweed in her dreadlocks [-1]

Skills [41]

Area Knowledge (Oceans) IQ/E - IQ+3 17 [8]

Biology/TL8 (Earthlike) IQ/VH - IQ+1 15 [12]

Chemistry/TL8 IQ/H - IQ-1 13 [2]

Computer Operation/TL8 IQ/E - IQ+1 15 [2]

Computer Programming/TL8 IQ/H - IQ-1 13 [2]

Dancing DX/A - DX+1 13 [4]

Expert Skill (Agrology - Marine) IQ/H - IQ-1 13 [2]

Karate DX/H - DX+0 12 [4]

Naturalist (Earth) IQ/H - IQ+0 14 [3]

Stealth DX/A - DX+0 12 [2]

Stats [175] Ads [574] Disads [-85] Quirks [-5] Skills [41] = Total [700]
Old 02-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665
The first one, Black Pearl has 2 powers that I had some problem converting, Sense Fish and Control Fish. In the end I used Detect for Sense Fish and Control for for Control Fish. I do relize that neither powers are to be used for "living beings" but if any one else has a better Idea please post it here.
Actually, there's no problem using Detect for living beings - in fact, a number of the examples in the book are living! You're right about Control not being allowable for living things, however. I don't actually have GURPS Supers, but from the description, I'd say that the appropriate advantage for Control Fish is actually Mind Control. "Only on aquatic beings" sounds like -20% to me. If the original power was limited to only non-intelligent aquatic beings, then the limitation is probably closer to -30% (assuming you're in a typical supers world, that is, where Atlanteans, merpeople, and aquatic aliens are a dime a dozen).
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Hannes665

I considered Mind Control but Control Fish, Animals or Birds is for 1 hex of per level, so 5 level would be a 5 hex radius. You could say that I based it on Control.

And yes you are right, Detect covers living beings :).

I would claim that this Control is only for IQ 5 or IQ 4 or less creatures but Mind Control needs IQ 7 or higher.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
I considered Mind Control but Control Fish, Animals or Birds is for 1 hex of per level, so 5 level would be a 5 hex radius. You could say that I based it on Control.
Not sure what you're talking about here? Mind Control, by default, can only control one subject at a time, and it has no area effect.

Quote:
I would claim that this Control is only for IQ 5 or IQ 4 or less creatures but Mind Control needs IQ 7 or higher.
I don't believe this is the case. Nothing in Mind Control suggests that it's limited to only sapient creatures.
In any case, Control is clearly the wrong advantage to use here - it explicitly forbids using it on living creatures.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
Almafeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
Not sure what you're talking about here? Mind Control, by default, can only control one subject at a time, and it has no area effect.
The original Control [X] powers (which no longer exist in 4e) worked on an area. This thread's about updating 3e characters to 4e...
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almafeta
The original Control [X] powers (which no longer exist in 4e) worked on an area. This thread's about updating 3e characters to 4e...
Ah, I didn't realize there was a Control power in 3e. In any case, though, the 4e Control advantage is not the way to go here - Mind Control, probably with some level of Area Effect, to make it capable of controling multiple creatures, is probably the way to go here.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Is there some reason why no one has mentioned summonable allies limited by what's nearby?
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
Is there some reason why no one has mentioned summonable allies limited by what's nearby?
Actually, assuming that this character is similar to Aquaman, both Summonable Allies and Mind Control (aquatic only) would probably be appropriate. The Allies covers the general ability to "call out to fish in the area to help me", and the Mind Control covers the ability to say "Bad Shark! No biscuit!"
Old 02-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
David Johnston

Quote:

And yes you are right, Detect covers living beings :).

No, that's the spell. The Mind Control advantage has no such limitation. A little area effect should do the trick.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
international super teams