Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #41
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Dungeon Dinosaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Brontosaurus is a bit of an absurd dinosaur, though. It makes everything goofy (until it steps on you, then it gets really serious).

Something like Spinosaurus (or Dimetrodon, which isn't a dinosaur but is still awesome) and things in the spinosaur family, or the big running pre-crocodiles (yes, big crocodiles that ran - again, not dinosaurs, but I feel they can be admitted anyways) make for fantastic dragons.
And this is KEY.

The faerie are to the north and west of the human realm of Nordlond (or Torengar in the Dragon Heresy source material). They have fae veil, they influence nature, and are capricious, cruel, and otherwordly. They see humans - the chosen of the Aesir - as toys to play with, trying to spoil the Aesir's plan.

The dragons not faerie or part of that set of legends. They're to the north and west, and the dragonkin, be they True Dragons, or their lesser offspring the ormur, lizard-folk (ethlufolk) and dino-men (gangaethla), just for starters. They see the humans as food, as creatures to be curated and supplanted. They wish not to play with humans and spoil the Aesir's fun, but to rule over them, conquer Asgard as they conquered Jotunheim, and continue their interrupted process of ascension to godhood that they'd embarked on when they discovered the now-broken ley-line junctions.

Finally, the fiends of Muspelheim. The Tyrann wish to rule over a servile and debased population and escape from their dimension in order to do so; the Aesir having trapped them there and denied them access to Yggdrasil and other means of spanning the realms. The Kvoldomur want to see the world burn, relishing the suffering and pain and emotional radiation of despair that is their nectar.

I originally had Outsiders in there as well, but took them out. Not every cosmology needs Lovecraft. Easy to put back in, though.

Point is, making certain variants of "dinosaur" be degenerate or offshoot dragonkin is entirely apt. One can imagine that a T-Rex or a pteranodon or a quetzalcoatlus being dragonspawn. Same with stegosaurus. So bringing various creatures modeled after such creatures. And then you bring in deinonychus and call it dauðikló and boom . . . something the players can relate to because they've seen Jurassic Park 1-100, but is "totally not deinonychus, because it's a death claw!"
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #42
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Brontosaurus is a bit of an absurd dinosaur, though. It makes everything goofy (until it steps on you, then it gets really serious).

Something like Spinosaurus (or Dimetrodon, which isn't a dinosaur but is still awesome) and things in the spinosaur family, or the big running pre-crocodiles (yes, big crocodiles that ran - again, not dinosaurs, but I feel they can be admitted anyways) make for fantastic dragons.
Interestingly enough, I recently ran Tomb of Annihilation for 5e and wanted to beef up an encounter with some Alligators and a Giant Alligator. I figured I'd replace regulars with a Giant and the Giant with a prehistoric croc-like dino but I couldn't find one so I just re-skinned a White Dragon. Worked just fine until I "ate" the wizard.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #43
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Interestingly enough, I recently ran Tomb of Annihilation for 5e and wanted to beef up an encounter with some Alligators and a Giant Alligator. I figured I'd replace regulars with a Giant and the Giant with a prehistoric croc-like dino but I couldn't find one so I just re-skinned a White Dragon. Worked just fine until I "ate" the wizard.
What was the problem? Indigestion?
Old 03-25-2019, 05:27 PM   #44
Mister Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I would have thought that wizards would be magically delicious.

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #45
corwyn

Quote:
Well, I knew they would be going into the tomb soon so it might be my only chance for a dragon fight, and I really wanted to use a breath weapon. So when the wizard died (after hitting 0 HP...twice), I ruled that the croc ate him and dissolved him with stomach acid...and allowed him to belch a cloud of, um, wizard as a poison breath weapon.

And yes, he was magically delicious.

BTW, I'm really looking forward to the Citadel and, since it has a draconic feel to it, combining it with the Lair of the Dragonking. Finally, something the wrestler can't just takedown in one turn. Though she really does want to wrestle a dragon - I may have to add some small ones.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #46
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Well, I knew they would be going into the tomb soon so it might be my only chance for a dragon fight, and I really wanted to use a breath weapon. So when the wizard died (after hitting 0 HP...twice), I ruled that the croc ate him and dissolved him with stomach acid...and allowed him to belch a cloud of, um, wizard as a poison breath weapon.

And yes, he was magically delicious.

BTW, I'm really looking forward to the Citadel and, since it has a draconic feel to it, combining it with the Lair of the Dragonking. Finally, something the wrestler can't just takedown in one turn. Though she really does want to wrestle a dragon - I may have to add some small ones.
Some time later this year, I'll do my best to convert Citadel to Dragon Heresy, which is a 5e basis. And if you like dragons, you'll LOVE The Dragons of Rosgarth, GB's next DFRPG release.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:40 PM   #47
Refplace

Quote:
Some time later this year, I'll do my best to convert Citadel to Dragon Heresy, which is a 5e basis. And if you like dragons, you'll LOVE The Dragons of Rosgarth, GB's next DFRPG release.
Is that your Ruins adventure or your Forest one?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #48
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Is that your Ruins adventure or your Forest one?
Ruins. The tentative "ruins of rosgarth" became The Dragons of Rosgarth.

The third one this year (Nordvorn, Rosgarth, #3) is tentatively titled Forest's End.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:11 PM   #49
Refplace

Quote:
Ruins. The tentative "ruins of rosgarth" became The Dragons of Rosgarth.

The third one this year (Nordvorn, Rosgarth, #3) is tentatively titled Forest's End.
Thank you, updating rumor thread right now.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #50
lwcamp

Illustrations of the medieval cockatrice bears about as much resemblance to the modern conception of small theropods such as Compsognathus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, and even Velociraptor as the medieval illustrations of elephants did to actual elephants. Sinornithosaurus may even have been venomous, which would make it quite cockatrice-like.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote