Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
GodlessRose

Default [LT] What is an Arbalest?

What weapon is the arbalest on LT80 & 82 based on? Is it just meant to be a big siege crossbow, like a crossbow ad turnum? Wikipedia defines an arbalest as a 12th Century steel crossbow, but I don't know if LT is using the word the same way.

Here is the description from LT80:
Quote:
Arbalest (TL3)
A medieval weapon resembling a large crossbow; in fact, crossbows are sometimes called “arbalests.” Here the name is used for a larger weapon. A built-in winch supplies power.
It says it resembles a crossbow, but I'm unsure if it is literally a crossbow. If it is, is it supposed to be an early model of steel crossbow, as Wikipedia suggests?
GodlessRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: [LT] What is an Arbalest?

The arbalest in LT appears to be a large tripod-mounted crossbow.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yep. Well-equipped castles mount them on the walls or towers to make life difficult for attackers. I'd imagine they might be used by besiegers, as well, but I'd think they'd be less useful than for the defenders.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Yep, you can tell what Gurps means by the stats it gives. In the Real World there were and are no precise definitions of weapon names. Try nailing down "carbine" some time.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Yep, you can tell what Gurps means by the stats it gives. In the Real World there were and are no precise definitions of weapon names. Try nailing down "carbine" some time.
Musket or rifle cut down in size for the use of cavalry. I think a similar is musketoon which is made just by slicing part of the barrel off rather then making it in factory.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
A carbine is a stocked weapon that is shorter than some, but not all, rifles, and longer than some, but not all, pistols ;)
Old 06-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
A carbine is a stocked weapon that is shorter than some, but not all, rifles, and longer than some, but not all, pistols ;)
If I had to give a definition I'd end up in a Mobius strip recursion where carbines are shorter than contemporary weapons called rifles and rifles are longer than contemporary weapon called carbines.

It's the "contemporary" that's the key weasel word. During the US Civil War carbines had 32" barrels.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
If I had to give a definition I'd end up in a Mobius strip recursion where carbines are shorter than contemporary weapons called rifles and rifles are longer than contemporary weapon called carbines.

It's the "contemporary" that's the key weasel word. During the US Civil War carbines had 32" barrels.
Nah, it's not a sufficient weasel word. A M4 carbine has a 14.5" barrel, a Steyr AUG carbine has a 16" barrel. You can find modern "short barrel rifles" in .223 that have 10" barrels. "Short barrel rifle" is an actual well-defined term (barrel length <16") since it's used in the NFA, but it's still called a rifle.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
GodlessRose

Quote:
The stats are what got me wondering. At first I figured it was meant to be a huge crossbow ad turnum, but it looks amazingly powerful for a crossbow. The price looks high, too. I've read that a crossbow ad turnum cost several times the price of a one-foot crossbow, but not this much.

But if the person who statted it was just using the standard crossbow rules, rather than trying to model likely real-world performance, then it makes sense. Assume a draw ST of 30 and a steel prod, and the damage and range work out right, except that the 1/2 damage range is slightly low. Then arbitrarily inflate the price and weight, since the technology is so new.
GodlessRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlessRose View Post
The stats are what got me wondering. At first I figured it was meant to be a huge crossbow ad turnum, but it looks amazingly powerful for a crossbow. The price looks high, too. I've read that a crossbow ad turnum cost several times the price of a one-foot crossbow, but not this much.

But if the person who statted it was just using the standard crossbow rules, rather than trying to model likely real-world performance, then it makes sense. Assume a draw ST of 30 and a steel prod, and the damage and range work out right, except that the 1/2 damage range is slightly low. Then arbitrarily inflate the price and weight, since the technology is so new.
I agree that the authors probably used either the LT crossbow rules or some blend of the old Vehicles rules and the GURPS gun damage formula, but I would not worry too much about what assumptions they used.

I have no idea where Wikipedia gets the idea about steel bows, but as far as I know they appear around the 14th through 16th centuries not the 12th. Arbalest is just Englished Frenched Latin arcuballista "bow-shooter" so it is just as vague as English crossbow. Many Medieval Latin sources just say "ballista" for all shooting machines from the kind that could be loaded on horseback to the kind which needed a team of men to move them from the store-room onto the wall when enemies approached.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low tech