Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #31
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: [Powers] Afflict on sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
That's why you add Area Effect, allowing you to get range on your normally reach C aura. This is not only on Pyramid, but on Power ups 4: Enhancements too, where they reprint Aura of Power.

Aura is necessary to turn it into a persistent effect that acts without your intervention. Otherwise you would need to attack to have the affliction work. Once you get here, though, instead of the Sense Based enhancement, I recommend Malediction 1 and the sense based limitation. Toss in Cosmic, No Rule of 16, and a high will for extra cheesyness.
Yep. Suggested in my posts, your posts and other's posts upthread.

He doesn't seem to want Malediction for some reason. At this point, my suggestion is to house-rule the things to work the way he thinks they should and for him to go on about his merry way.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #32
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Only posting the relavant power here.

From GURPS Banestorm, p195
Affliction 1 (Petrifying gaze; Cone, 15-yard width, +200%; Cured by Stone to Flesh or Remove Curse spells, +150%; Extended Duration, Permanent, Selective Area, +20%; Malediction 2, +150%; Paralysis, +150%; Vision-Based, -20%) [75]

Not exactly what you said you were looking for in that they have to see her from fairly close and in front. Also its selective which gives the option to avoid gazing at someone.
However you asked for a Canon way to do it so here one is.
Thanks.

I don't need cone, so I can take it out and put in Vision Based +150, then I take out the specifics like cured by, duration, paralysis and selective.

However, this still seems to require Medusa to 'shoot', whereas I'm looking for it to be an automatic effect. Also, I'm not clear on why I need Malediction in any of these builds.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #33
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Thanks.

I don't need cone, so I can take it out and put in Vision Based +150, then I take out the specifics like cured by, duration, paralysis and selective.

However, this still seems to require Medusa to 'shoot', whereas I'm looking for it to be an automatic effect. Also, I'm not clear on why I need Malediction in any of these builds.
Your welcome I just wanted to show you a RAW way to build it since you were looking for Cannon.
Malediction is the traditional way to get rid of the DR bonus ot resist but Sense based is specifically listed as another option to counter that.
Paralysis is there for the petrification effect so you need it or a replacement.
ALreeady seen posts above on the automatic issue so I wont repeat all that.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #34
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
You can't substitute Sense-Based for Melee Attack (Reach C) absent layering in a cosmic rules exemption enhancement with your GM's permission.
Is there a reason for that? I know the write up of Aura originally conceives of it as a sheath around the body, but conceptually why can't it be changed and rebuilt like other powers/mods?

Quote:
Neither Sense-Based nor Sense-Based (Reversed) adds a range to something that has no range. Neither changes the range of a power that has a range.
Ah, yes. That makes sense. So if it were built with Aura and Sense-based, it would have the inherent range normally applicable to Afflictions; I suppose I can live with that.

Quote:
Go read them yourself if you'd like; I've provided page references upthread.
I'm really just trying to understand. Thank you for your help.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #35
Langy

Quote:
Thanks.

Check out my post just a few up. You'll see a build that does exactly what you asked for.

Quote:
Is there a reason for that? I know the write up of Aura originally conceives of it as a sheath around the body, but conceptually why can't it be changed and rebuilt like other powers/mods?
It can, but it needs to be built off of Area Effect rather than Range (since the Aura hits everything within its range). I suppose you could add Ranged to make it so the 'aura' is centered at some one specific point in front of you or something, but I don't see the use for it.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #36
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I'd use a modified version of Aura of Power, from Pyramid 19 Tools of the Trade - Clerics:

Visage of Power - +730%
Statistics: Area Effect, LOS, +550%; Aura, +80%; Sense-Based, Vision, +150%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Reduced Duration,
1/60, Only after the target leaves the area, -30%; Selective Area, +20%; Takes Extra Time, -10%.

The 'Area Effect, LOS' enhancement is based upon the Ranged, LOS enhancement, which is itself priced equally to an ability with a range of 2,000 yards. The Visage should work similarly to an Aura of Power, but without the whole 'requires will roll' thing to activate. Remove Takes Extra Time and add Always On, -50% if it's always on. May also want to remove Selective Area.
Thanks for your reply. I don't understand the explanation of Area Effect LOS or how you get the price for it.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #37
Langy

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I don't understand the explanation of Area Effect LOS or how you get the price for it.
Increased Range, LOS is an enhancement from Psionic Powers and Power Ups 4: Enhancements. It basically means 'Range: Anyone you can accurately see with your own sense of sight; optical binoculars are OK, a TV feed is not'. This is priced equally to Increased Range, 2,000 yards.

I used that 2,000 yard range as the basis for the Area Effect. This is equal to 11 levels of the Area Effect enhancement (for 2,048 yards). The Increased Range, LOS enhancement originally cares about who you can see - I think it's a 0-point feature to make it whoever can see you (just like Sense-Based and Sense-Based (Reversed) are equally priced).

How that then works is that anyone who can see your character with their own eyes, or through a lens or other optical means, is within range of the attack.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, aura of power, sense-based, visage of power