Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Incapacitating Afflictions and 'PvP Trinkets' in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
GURPS doesn't have "10 second stuns" that I know of -
The only "ten seconds in hell" mundane event that comes to mind is the Pin in RAW grappling. Of course, to Pin someone, you need to win a Regular Contest, which is a lot harder than it sounds against a worthy foe.

Still, that's one that comes to mind, though to be only mildly picky, it's clearly not a stun. Some spells have a duration and effect that might as well be "stunned" - the spell Tickle comes to mind.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post
Since its expressly a genre setting for games where fight-ending incapacitation is against the genre, I'd just write it up like a cinematic combat rule rather than a trait. Since you are basically negating the whole attack but must take at least some minimal effect (though the minimal effect is by time before using the option rather than by a minimum remaining effect after using the option), it looks a lot like a variant form of TV Action Violence, so I'd charge one CP per invocation.
And MH Destiny is basically a regenerating pool of CPs for such Buying Success and related effects.

Quote:
GURPS doesn't have "10 second stuns" that I know of - you begin rolling to recover on your turn; I thought you had to get up to Daze before it was a fixed duration effect rather than save-every-turn.
A stun with a penalty to the recovery roll (IIRC some things cause that) can last 10 seconds. Anyway, it's a pretty generic throwaway example.

Quote:
There's obviously still a place for the "flush my current action-denying status effect" advantage or trait or whatever for making those short duration effects even shorter.
Yeah, which is why I looked up at MH Destiny. I'm just unsure what the limitation value would be. Your example of Recovery is also interesting, but not the same thing.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
And MH Destiny is basically a regenerating pool of CPs for such Buying Success and related effects.
From RPKs descriptions on the boards, its actually just the privilege to store what amount to CPs dedicated to that purpose, whereas the issuing of them is a genre convention.

I haven't really looked at it, but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing you really want to throw application limits on. Instead, limits on what you can spend points on should be genre conventions or traits independent of the one granting you the option of accumulating them.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
A stun with a penalty to the recovery roll (IIRC some things cause that) can last 10 seconds. Anyway, it's a pretty generic throwaway example.
Ah, but that's very different from "You are stunned for 10 seconds and then may make recovery rolls every second."

"Your recovery rolls are at -4" is easy to modify - get Resistant: Stunning (Accessability: only for recovery rolls).

Or, as the GM, you don't throw things that are "Stun, save at -4 ends." unless you really mean it.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #15
cmdicely

Quote:
GURPS doesn't have "10 second stuns" that I know of
I don't see anything that prevents Extended Duration on an unmodified Affliction.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post
I don't see anything that prevents Extended Duration on an unmodified Affliction.
I believe you can use ExtDur that way, but it's terribly inefficient to do so.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, buying success, destiny, incapacitating conditions, luck, pvp trinket