Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Rasputin

Default Bestiary 4e

I hope to goodness I'm not stepping on any legal toes here. I read through the online policy, and this is pretty odd.

See, last spring, I updated GURPS Bestiary for 4e. With point costs. On my own with no bidding or hope of publication. It's like Kevin Muñoz's project on steroids.

Now, I was hoping to put this up on a webpage for comments, but I wanted to ask first if anyone thought this would be taken down before I post the link. Can anyone give me some expertise here?

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Bestiary 4e

Read the Wish List, you might find the better idea is submit a proposal.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Langy

I believe someone else already did this and posted it here and SJG never removed it. It was only the templates updated to 4e, though, none of the fluff.

May not have been Bestiary itself, though; could have been some other grouping of various creature templates. *shrug*

But yeah, a better idea might be to flesh it out more and see if you can get it published properly.

Last edited by Langy; 06-10-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I believe someone else already did this and posted it here and SJG never removed it. It was only the templates updated to 4e, though, none of the fluff.
That was Kevin Muñoz's Natural Encyclopedia; he hasn't been around in about a year (I PMed him to ask him to look over my work, much of which derived from his, and he agreed, but then hasn't been online to give me an e-mail address). He didn't come up with point totals and indeed many of the non-combat traits, and that's the hang-up for SJG to publish Bestiary.

My issues with going proposal:

* My stats aren't at the level Kromm wanted. I can't kid myself and tell myself they are.

* I would need a coauthor who is a zoologist, or at least familiar with zoology.

* I have no experience with a project this big, though I do have a journalism degree, so I'm not a complete nothing with writing.

* You do realize that this is only half the book, right? Even if I add the fluff. There were rules about how to run animals in combat, and animals in your campaign.

But I'd love to find a way to go proposal, if that were actually possible, but I don't want to go promising more than I can deliver.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 06-10-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Refplace

A Bestiary is in the works though its anybody's guess if we will see it before Vehicles.
We have lots of stuff from fans out on the net and SJG has a really generous online policy and attitude. I do not think there going to be mad or come at you for your project.
There are too many examples out there that have been online for years.
What I would do is put in the stats and fluff, all your doing is a NPC template.
Do NOT put in the site what the various advantages do.
Name them and list the costs but unless someone has the books the information wont help them. Your not explaining the combat system by saying that a panther attacks by using pounce or giving it climbing skill.

Finally follow the policy with a link to GURPS and send a PM to Kromm or RPK just as a friendly heads up.
I did this once myself. A long time ago I sent a note about putting up a world for my players to look at online and I had extensive NPC writeups and racial packages. He said he thought it was fine but would run it by SJG (IIRC He was not a line editor back then) and I never heard a complaint. Even got a compliment on the work and setting, including a player out of it.
Too bad that early Play By Post fell apart :(

I am actually planning on building a GURPS database site to hold my stuff and make it open to others for posting their stuff as well. When that is ready (money is the roadblock) I intend to do the same along with a promise to yank anything any employee of SJG finds objectionable and will post that in the TOU.

Last edited by Refplace; 06-10-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
shaneblake

@Ref - try Google App Engine, it could be your friend cost wise.
shaneblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Now, I was hoping to put this up on a webpage for comments, but I wanted to ask first if anyone thought this would be taken down before I post the link. Can anyone give me some expertise here?
Yes, SJG can. Why not email them? I'm sure they don't bite :)

More seriously, they are the only people that can tell you that. Everyone else here is just giving you guesses.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneblake View Post
@Ref - try Google App Engine, it could be your friend cost wise.
Thanks but what I am looking to do is partly done on my local computer.
I just need to get it on a live server, which means colocation.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:12 AM   #9
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
A Bestiary is in the works though its anybody's guess if we will see it before Vehicles.
I'm wondering if anybody has heard something about the current status of the upcoming Bestiary? After that long time I'd really expect that a first draft version is nearly ready, playtest coming soon or something like that... Just hoping that the project is not dying!
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Langy

I'm not sure they even have an author for it, so... no. Haven't heard anything.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, gurps