Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default What does cost of living get you in a Fantasy setting?

Looking at the table of contents for Banestorm, I know there is info on this in that book. But spending $25 on a book just to get that info seems a bit too much.

Does anyone have their own rules for this or have seen rules on this elsewhere?
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: What does cost of living get you in a Fantasy setting?

Same thing as it gets you in every other setting. Food, shelter, transportation if you can afford it, entertainment, furniture, clothing, personal and domestic hygiene.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

I want something more detailed than that. Basic Set p. 266 has a modern example of what I want.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Bruno

I'd start with the TL3 chart in the Basic Set (presuming a generic medievalish setting like Banestorm and so much of genre fantasy) .
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'd start with the TL3 chart in the Basic Set
I don't think there is one for TL3 (there's one for modern settings on p. B266), which is why he's asking.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I don't think there is one for TL3 (there's one for modern settings on p. B266), which is why he's asking.
Oh Durrrr. I was thinking I guess of the Status table on the previous page. Or something. I blame... uh... (looks around) that lamp there. Yep. Definitely that lamps fault.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Anaraxes

"Life in a Medieval Castle / City / Village"?

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Medieval-.../dp/0060908807

(I tremulously await the flames from the authors of Low-Tech as to the horrible inaccuracy of these. Actually, I haven't read them myself, but they were pretty popular at one point.)

"Fantasy" is going to throw the usual monkey wrench into the works, as some fantasy is European-medieval-realistic while others aren't even close, nor do they want to be. Maybe your elves like mushrooms and live in trees. Nomads are happy with their yurt, so the nomad paladin doesn't give up much for owning only what his horse can carry. Or perhaps the best way to deal with pixies is to call the local Pizza 'Spress from your basement apartment in Chicago.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 02-12-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Phantasm

Average cost of living in a TL3 setting should probably net you: a decent place to live that you own or built yourself, a plot of land in rural areas, probably a goat for milk (1/2 gallon of fresh milk a day isn't something to sneeze at, even if you need to churn it into butter or make it into cheese), a sheep for wool, a week's worth of outfits, a storage bin for grain/garden vegetables, and probably a chicken or five (even in urban areas), and standard hand tools for home repairs, and a spinning wheel for turning sheep's wool into yarn. More than one person at Status 0 living together would probably rate more goats, sheep, or even a cow.

Adjust appropriately for Status.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I tremulously await the flames from the authors of Low-Tech as to the horrible inaccuracy of these.
I don't think we put them in the bibliography, but those books are all quite good introductory works. On the other hand, they don't really tell you what you get, say, at the CoL corresponding to Status 4 as opposed to the CoL of Status 5.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

The world in this case is a slightly altered timeline of Dragonlance. For the sake of Status, we can say that it is exactly the same. In this case I'm looking at Solamnia, or basic knight in shining armor type society. And they live in the city. A BIG city.

I don't own any of those books Anaraxes, but as Turhan says, they wouldn't likely help me make a CoL table.

tbrock1031, part of what I'm looking for is the "Adjust appropriately for Status" part at the end of your post.

Could I just take the modern day example in Basic Set and convert it based on technology? So that the modern "A house (heavily mortgaged) or large apartment, and a car." changes car to a horse and then I'm done? Or would that be way off?

Tags
cost of living