Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Can I grapple with Bite+arms in one attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Just to make certain we're on the same page here, I'm specifically referring to the handling of bites. TG currently has bites roughly equivalent to two handed grapples (generating as many CP as damage rolled, meaning using full ST, albeit if untrained you have a -1 to damage relative to a two-handed grab) regardless of relative size. My suggestion was that, against foes who are the same size as you or larger, you'd basically use half the rolled damage to determine CP, functionally making such bites into one-handed grapples.
That's a decent way to play it, so I won't tell you "don't do that," because speed of play is key.

The way the rules are written, though, small mouths just basically get slapped with -1 DX and -1 damage per 2d of attack damage (-15% to Trained ST) per SM difference.

The number of hands involved in a grapple was replaced by the new "halve it for control points."

Note that Trained ST is zero at 7 size modifiers difference, halved at between 3 and 4. So a small dog or cat with SM -3 or -4 will be at -3 or -4 per 2d of damage - basically halved anyway.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:35 AM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
The way the rules are written, though, small mouths just basically get slapped with -1 DX and -1 damage per 2d of attack damage (-15% to Trained ST) per SM difference.
I just redownloaded it to make certain this wasn't in an update, but "Bigger and Stronger" gives the larger character a +1 DX and +15% to TST, with no penalty to the smaller one, and that appears to be the only instance of "15%" in the document. Was the intent that there be both a penalty (to the smaller) and bonus (to the larger), that there be just the penalty, or that there be just the bonus (as it currently is)?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I just redownloaded it to make certain this wasn't in an update, but "Bigger and Stronger" gives the larger character a +1 DX and +15% to TST, with no penalty to the smaller one, and that appears to be the only instance of "15%" in the document. Was the intent that there be both a penalty (to the smaller) and bonus (to the larger), that there be just the penalty, or that there be just the bonus (as it currently is)?
For grapples, you're right, no penalty to the smaller one, and by extension to my own rules, that's correct as well for the bites. The smaller mouth gets no penalty, only a big one gets advantage.

Might be a good case for a house rule, and the -1 per 2d and the 15% are the same thing, of course.

The intent was to simplify by not having a double whammy, where not only is the big guy gifted with a bonus, but the little guy is ALSO hit with penalties.

It would be interesting to have it reciprocal, but I wanted to avoid an instance of "recalculate everything for every pair of fighters."

There's already too much recalc in the subsystem as it is; that's something I'd tweak harder in a second edition (and something I avoided in what is effectively its sequel: Dungeon Grappling for DnD)
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts