Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #21
apoc527

Default Re: Rapid Fire bonus and Rcl

The only way to really solve this issue is to have rapid fire attacks divided into 2 rolls: the first roll for the first shot gets no RoF bonus, but gets all the aiming bonuses you can come up with and the second roll more or less works how we have it now, except I would halve or eliminate whatever Aiming bonuses you were getting on the first shot.

Alternately, I suppose you don't even need to roll the dice twice. You can just calculate your "first shot" and "burst" MoSes separately.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #22
Erling

Actually, setting a cap for Rapid Fire bonus seems to be quite elegant solution. At least for TL7-8 games, in order to emphasise difference between assault rifles and battle rifles.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #23
Gigermann

The OP's initial statement is correct, IME—it's why we've never mounted hyper-accurate single-shot rifles on aircraft wings. GURPS 4e's version of autofire feels about right to me. Though it might stand a fact-check on the actual hit-chance numbers, I think issues are going to fall below GURPS skill granularity, with the notable and oft-lamented exception of scaling up to high RoF or high target-SM situations.

The RoF ~3 pistol thing is a bit of a problem. It should fall under the same philosophy, but since there's no bonus at that RoF, it really doesn't make sense to fire 3× unless you're trying to hit more than once, and I'm not sure how best to fix that, except to go back to 3e and treat semi-auto fire as individual rolls—which would work just fine, mechanically, but isn't as playable.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #24
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
The RoF ~3 pistol thing is a bit of a problem. It should fall under the same philosophy, but since there's no bonus at that RoF, it really doesn't make sense to fire 3× unless you're trying to hit more than once, and I'm not sure how best to fix that, except to go back to 3e and treat semi-auto fire as individual rolls—which would work just fine, mechanically, but isn't as playable.
We've just changed the bonus progression in my games, and I think Mark L does this too. Half the SSR bonus for shots fired works pretty well.

So 1-2 shots - no bonus
3-5 shots, +1
6-10 shots, +2
11-20 shots, +3
Then 50 (+4), 100, (+5), 200 (+6), etc.

YMMV, of course, but this gets the right kind of behavior for us. Firing three shots has some advantage over 1 or 2. Slow automatic fire (less than 600 rounds/min) is +2, most rifles in the 600-850 rnds/min range are +3, gatling guns are +4 or +5.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #25
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Actually, that sets you on a path to increasing Braced bonuses. Tactical Shooting added higher-value levels of Braced...
Oh, nice. I haven't run any games where bracing in mounts have come up*, so I'll have to keep this in mind for the next one.

* It could have come, it just never did.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #26
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
We've just changed the bonus progression in my games, and I think Mark L does this too. Half the SSR bonus for shots fired works pretty well.
Just thinking that over, you'd probably be okay if you just "reverse the polarity" on that table: instead of #-and-above it's #-and-below (excluding "1"). Therefore 2-5 = +1, 6-10 = +2, etc. That way there's a reason for a double-tap. But that would screw with the probabilities that currently exist.

Could also just say 2-8 = +1 and leave the rest alone.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:09 AM   #27
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
The only way to really solve this issue is to have rapid fire attacks divided into 2 rolls: the first roll for the first shot gets no RoF bonus, but gets all the aiming bonuses you can come up with and the second roll more or less works how we have it now, except I would halve or eliminate whatever Aiming bonuses you were getting on the first shot.

Alternately, I suppose you don't even need to roll the dice twice. You can just calculate your "first shot" and "burst" MoSes separately.
Yep there was thread last year were this was one of the suggestions
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:21 AM   #28
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
What you're saying here isn't at all compatible with the GURPS rapid fire rules. Rapid fire in GURPS does serve to increase the chance of producing at least one hit. Indeed, that's the main effect of firing more rounds, once you get beyond semi-automatic fire.
You do realize that Hans probably had a lot of input in the original rules, right? The man literally wrote the book on firearms in GURPS and is a consultant for freaking Janes. He's one of the finest experts on firearms in the world. That's not sycophantic defense either, that's just fact. You can decry that he doesn't know what he's talking about, but for the majority of us you're just screaming at a wall. Have you ever fired a fully automatic weapon? Because what he's describing is exactly what happens and what GURPS approximates is about what occurs in reality. It's still a playable abstraction, but that's appropriate since this is a game after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post

So 1-2 shots - no bonus
3-5 shots, +1
6-10 shots, +2
11-20 shots, +3
Then 50 (+4), 100, (+5), 200 (+6), etc.

YMMV, of course, but this gets the right kind of behavior for us. Firing three shots has some advantage over 1 or 2. Slow automatic fire (less than 600 rounds/min) is +2, most rifles in the 600-850 rnds/min range are +3, gatling guns are +4 or +5.
Yeah, I've considered doing this for Aeon, just for that exact effect.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:42 AM   #29
HANS

Quote:
What you're saying here isn't at all compatible with the GURPS rapid fire rules.
Actually, it is.

Quote:
Rapid fire in GURPS does serve to increase the chance of producing at least one hit. Indeed, that's the main effect of firing more rounds, once you get beyond semi-automatic fire.
Yes. I never said otherwise. Firing more than one shot increases your chance to hit. This is what automatic fire does, in RL and in GURPS. What I said is that the first shot in a burst has the same chance to hit as a single shot from the same weapon, meaning controllability (the issue raised by Erling) is irrelevant for that.
The increase of the overall hit chance of a burst is because the Rapid Fire rules require only one roll, when it would be more realistic (but way less playable) to roll for each shot in the burst, with increasing penalties. The Rapid Fire bonus to the one to-hit roll in automatic fire thus combines several rolls. Hence, the one roll gets a (small) bonus, rather than to make three or five or ten rolls.

Cheers

HANS

Last edited by HANS; 08-27-2016 at 03:46 AM.
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:57 AM   #30
HANS

Er, no need to get exited ;) Just a friendly debate here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
You do realize that Hans probably had a lot of input in the original rules, right?
I was quite involved in the original peer review playtest of Fourth Edition, but I did not write these rules. I seem to remember that they are David's work, but don't quote me on that.

While I don't find the Rapid Fire rules perfect, I continue to defend them because they give reasonably realistic results with very little input (ie, you don't have to roll for every shot in a burst, you don't have to recalculate the recoil-induced deviation for every shot, etc.)

Quote:
is a consultant for freaking Janes.
Just for the record, I've worked for many years as a consultant for one of the largest firearms manufacturers in the world, but not for Jane's. That's all I can and will say about this.

Quote:
It's still a playable abstraction, but that's appropriate since this is a game after all.
This is exactly my point, yes.

Cheers

HANS

Tags
guns, high-tech