Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
Scarion

Default Gurps Vehicles / 4th. Edition

Not to sound too impatient, but will there be any kind of official release at some point. I do believe I were told "within the next year" back in 2008 (EIGHT years ago...).

I love this system, and I would love to pay money to receive the book in question, but I have been waiting 8 years to run a WW2 campaign, because I wish to use updated vehicle design rules.
Now, I know that there are workarounds, netbooks & "estimations", but will you guys actually ever release the product (finished or otherwise)?

- Scarion
Scarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: Gurps Vehicles / 4th. Edition

The official word is basically "It will happen when it happens, but we are pretty sure it will happen." It's a big, complex project that doesn't promise huge returns, so no matter how much we true believers want it, it isn't a top priority. (Note: I'm not official in any capacity.)
Old 06-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

I haven't been following the occasional updates on Vehicles progress. Last I remember, though, the author was still working on the manuscript. And like most GURPS authors, they're a freelancer. So there isn't really anything SJG could do to hasten the process. (Short of trying to get somebody else to write it instead maybe, which would have all kinds of huge problems.)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
David Johansen

At this point I can only muster the enthusiasm to stand off to the side and shake my head sadly.

I think the best we can hope for is a companion volume to GURPS Spaceships which expands the vehicle notes we have for it already. Maybe that's for the best. It's likely the day of the diehard gearhead is done and the marketplace no longer drools at forty decimal place precision.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:36 AM   #5
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Maybe that's for the best. It's likely the day of the diehard gearhead is done and the marketplace no longer drools at forty decimal place precision.
I suspect those people are still out there (heck, I'm out here. So is the OP, and the other people in this thread). It's just that the RPG pie suddenly grew a bunch, and there are a lot of people who can't be bothered with this sort of thing.

But that's not why it's taking so long. It's not like Pulver said "Well, you know, I could make a bunch more money working on other stuff. SEE YA LOSERS!" It's that it's a big, complicated thing, and those take the time they take. I'm with you on the sense that there's nothing you can do, but when it comes out, people will be happy it's out. In the meantime, the gearheadiest of us have begun making our own stuff.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:52 AM   #6
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
when it comes out, people will be happy it's out. In the meantime, the gearheadiest of us have begun making our own stuff.
Agreed. Also, in my case, I mostly used 3e's Vehicles for its weapon design chapter. With the Spaceships, the Laser and Blaster Design article in Pyramid a few years back, and a few Pyramid articles expanding the Spaceships system my need for a 4e Vehicle Design is lessened; an article on slugthrower design will be of great use (has there already been one and I missed it?).

One thing I wish for the Spaceships system is a bit more granularity for in-between sizes (50 tons, 500 tons, etc), which I'd hope Vehicle Design gives us.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:17 AM   #7
TorgSmith

I have followed this for quite some time. It was put on hold for quite a while.

They did pick up work on it again. I suspect it is in back burner status. I will get it when it comes out, but I have removed it from the anticipated releases. This makes waiting much easier.

I am willing to bet they would like to be able to put out much more awesome stuff, but they have to balance resources to stay in business. This won't be a quick project. Hang in there.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:19 AM   #8
Mr Frost

Are We there yet ?
Old 06-08-2016, 07:54 AM   #9
Anaraxes

I haven't followed older discussions in detail. Are they making significant changes to the way the rules work, the kind of systems, and so on? It doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to update the 3e version to produce 4e stats, adding ways to derive the new ones. So the delay suggests the plan may be more ambitious.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I haven't followed older discussions in detail. Are they making significant changes to the way the rules work, the kind of systems, and so on? It doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to update the 3e version to produce 4e stats, adding ways to derive the new ones. So the delay suggests the plan may be more ambitious.
Much, much more ambitious.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vehicles