Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
Z09SS

Default Winchester Model 12

Since I recently inherited a Heavy Duck I looked to see if there were GURPS stats for it.

High-Tech Pulp Guns Vol. 1 does!

And it doesn't match my reality testing on a couple of stats.

With 3" shells the capacity is 5+1 not 4+1. With 2-3/4" shells the capacity is 6+1, which is the normal capacity of ALL Model 12's I found out, not the listed 5+1.

Then there's the weight. Mine comes to just 9.1 lb. loaded with 5 rounds of 3" 00 buckshot not the 9.7 listed in the book. Ammo weight agrees though!

A friend has a 16ga gun and, except for the capacity, it matches the book stats.

I'd submit this as an errata, but those seem to disappear forever for guns stats.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:41 AM   #2
HANS

Default Re: Winchester Model 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z09SS View Post
Since I recently inherited a Heavy Duck I looked to see if there were GURPS stats for it.

High-Tech Pulp Guns Vol. 1 does!

And it doesn't match my reality testing on a couple of stats.

With 3" shells the capacity is 5+1 not 4+1. With 2-3/4" shells the capacity is 6+1, which is the normal capacity of ALL Model 12's I found out, not the listed 5+1.

Then there's the weight. Mine comes to just 9.1 lb. loaded with 5 rounds of 3" 00 buckshot not the 9.7 listed in the book. Ammo weight agrees though!

A friend has a 16ga gun and, except for the capacity, it matches the book stats.
Thanks for the feedback! I used old period catalogues for most of the stats, including for this gun, as I didn't have a Windester Model 12 at hand to examine it myself. It is quite possible that the weights were either wrong in the source(s) or I mixed them up. As to the capacity, all the catalogues and ads I've seen list it as "six shot", which at the time meant "5+1". The US Army Ordnance Department in 1944 also listed the Model 12 as 5+1 (in 12-gauge 2.75"), just like the Model 97. However, a google search seems to confirm that these period sources are, in fact, incorrect!

Cheers

HANS
Old 08-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
Z09SS

Default Re: Winchester Model 12

I feel your pain on trying to decipher if the capacity is X or y+1=X.

It's not helped that the "duck plug", which is just a wooden dowel that you put inside the magazine spring, is marked "3 shell" because it limits the gun to 2+1 capacity.

Winchester isn't even consistent with their own catalog!

Tags
high-tech, pulp guns