Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
SwipeBungee

Default A little confused as to how many cards you can have

Hello. I would appreciate a little clarification as to how many cards you are able to have.

You are only able to have five cards in your hand, correct? But it also says you can hold as many small items as you get, but only one big. Does this mean you can have a maximum of 5 small items, or 4 small items and 1 big item? Or whatever combo it becomes when combined with spells and monster cards. It seems extremely limiting to only be able to have 5 cards at any given time. or..

Can you have as many cards in play as necessary, but not have them in use, therefore slanting them to indicate they are not being used, as said in the directions. I would appreciate someone explaining this to me. If my questions are incomprehensible please just do your best to explain how the hands work and equipment, etc...

Thanks!

Other than that one discrepancy I love the game!
SwipeBungee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
fuelstaind

Default Re: A little confused as to how many cards you can have

You can have as many small items as you want and one big item on the table. Five cards in your hand means in your hand. And yes, you can have cards on the table, but turned sideways to indicate that they are not in play.
fuelstaind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Nakiro

The cards in your hand don't usually count as items, and you can only have 5 cards in your hand at the end of your turn.

Carried items are exactly that, items that your character carries. You can carry any number of small items.(so you can put 20 small items on the table)
When you carry items, it just means they are with the character now, you don't have to have them equipped or anything.
MiB #3872
Nakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Teddy

Welcome to the forums! I'll try to explain as best I can. If you have any other questions, just feel free to ask. This forum is filled with many helpful people and I'm sure someone will give you an answer.

There are three areas where cards can exist. First, your hand. These cards are hidden from other players. When you draw face down cards, treasures, etc, they all go into your hand. You can have any number of cards in your hand until the end of each one of your turns. At the end of your turn, you have the charity phase, where if you have any more than 5 cards in your hand, you must give them to the lowest level player. If you are the lowest, you discard the excess cards. It is important to note that there are no "items" in your hand; only cards. Cards are items once played to the table.

The next two areas are both in play. The first are the items which are currently giving you a bonus or you are otherwise using. This is limited, under normal circumstances, to one slot for armor, two slots for hands, one hand for headgear, one for footgear and unlimited slots for items which do not take a slot (Items with a Cheat! card, things like Very Impressive Title, etc).

The last area consists of items which are not giving a bonus or are otherwise not being used. These include items that are restricted to a race or class which you are not currently, items that use a slot that you do not have available and other items that you cannot or do not wish to use. As far as I am aware, there is no official term for this area, other than "items in play but not in use" or "unequipped items". The most common term I've heard players use is backpack. Any card that has a value in gold pieces can be played to this area, either on your turn or as soon as you get it.

The main cards that you would have in your hand are things like monsters, monster enhancers, curses you drew face-down (for example, while looting the room) and treasure cards that have no value in gold pieces. However, you may find it to your advantage to keep good cards in your hand, for example, if you had "The Wand of Dowsing", which allows you to take any card you want from the discards, you might not want other players to be able to steal it or even to know that you have it at all.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
SwipeBungee

Thanks guys! That cleared up pretty much all of my questions! Thanks for the welcome and I'll see you guys around the forums!
SwipeBungee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hand size limit, munchkin