Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
phayman53

Default Help stating a contact that gives a PC access to a library [MH]

I am going to be running a TL2 Monster Hunters game soon. One thing that I want is for the characters to have access to an occult library, but I don't think they will be able to buy it themselves and they probably will not have a patron. I was thinking of statting this as a contact for one of the characters, but I want them to have to do the research, not have someone do it for them. How would you stat access to something special like an occult library (they do not always have to have access to it either, but I want it to be relatively reliable access)?
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Help stating a contact that gives a PC access to a library [MH]

This tends to be a controversial statement, but my option is that Contacts are assumed to have special access to information or resources that the PCs otherwise don't (this is why they are contacts...), so this is just a contact with Occultism or Research.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

I feel that, to make Contact/Contact Group actually useful for the points (compare the points put in to the advantage vs. just buying the skills themselves), that they must provide more than just something a skill roll could give. And note that the Contact description says that they can do favours for you too, beyond just information. So, for an occult library, I'd write it up as:

Contact Group (Library of occult and magical topics; Skill 18; 12 or less; Usually Reliable) [12] (the price increases to 16 if anyone in the library is actually a mage or similar who can access information using supernatural means).

So whoever had the contact could ask questions and get answers on a roll of 18, and on a failure, they ask him to check back in 1d days. They can also provide access to the library itself, since that will generally fall into the category of a favor that's "nonhazardous" and "inexpensive". That last bit, of course, can change if the party brings fights to the library, but as long as that doesn't happen, they should be good. The librarians can probably also do Research on their behalf, but I think that falls into the existing mechanics of checking back after a few days on a failure of the original roll. Other favours they might reasonably be asked to do:
  • Write up a report or request in a fine scribe's hand.
  • Let them know if anyone else has been looking for a specific piece of information.
  • Lending a grimoire or similarly useful book, as long as its for a short time and guaranteed to be returned unharmed.
  • Including the PC(s) who have the Contact in the prayers of the librarians to Athena or whichever god or goddess of wisdom they venerate, which might possibly be good for a minor blessing at an opportune moment (IIRC, you're using Roma Arcana as the setting, where the gods can do real, if typically minor, interventions).
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
Daigoro

Default Re: Help statting a contact that gives a PC access to a library [MH]

There's nothing wrong with the above-mentioned Contact options (except for my long-standing disagreement with the pricing of Contacts in general), but as an alternative, just call it a Perk: Has Occult Library Card.

Looking at RAW (Power Ups 2), it's not far off from:
Better (Gear) - your library access is more Occult-y than normal
Friend - a Claim to Hospitality from your librarian friend (this works well, actually)
Permit - normally works for getting lower LC equipment, but this sounds similar. And a library card is basically a Permit...
Secret Knowledge - written up more about access to secret skills, but this situation is along similar lines
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
phayman53

Thanks for the responses! I think I like claim to hospitality best as an option since I want the PCs to actually be the ones making the skill checks.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
Refplace

Yeah Claim to Hospitality is how I would go with this.
Contact or Contact Group limits you to one question per day.
I generally avoid Contacts as a PC because asKelly pointed out your generally better off just buying the skill yourself. However they can save you time by offloading the time to get the answer on someone else. And the favors can be useful as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
However they can save you time by offloading the time to get the answer on someone else. And the favors can be useful as well.
Those are the two big ones that can make Contacts actually useful for their point cost, yeah. (It's possible that contacts can end up cheaper for the skill level than buying it yourself if you don't have the attribute level in the skill involved. But in my experience, someone whose character concept involves a lot of contacts for IQ-based skills, for instance, is probably going to have high IQ themselves, thus negating this edge).

For the favours on Contacts, I'd actually recommend stealing most of the system from Social Engineering: Pulling Rank. Treat the Contact's Frequency of Appearance roll as the base number of the Assistance roll, and apply the usual modifiers for a particular type of favour. If it doesn't fall into one of the categories, apply a +5 bonus if it's all three of cheap, safe, and easy, +0 if it's two of three, -5 if it's only one, and -10 if none.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

For the favours on Contacts, I'd actually recommend stealing most of the system from Social Engineering: Pulling Rank. Treat the Contact's Frequency of Appearance roll as the base number of the Assistance roll, and apply the usual modifiers for a particular type of favour. If it doesn't fall into one of the categories, apply a +5 bonus if it's all three of cheap, safe, and easy, +0 if it's two of three, -5 if it's only one, and -10 if none.
Not bad! I may add that to my house rules.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #9
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This tends to be a controversial statement, but my option is that Contacts are assumed to have special access to information or resources that the PCs otherwise don't (this is why they are contacts...), so this is just a contact with Occultism or Research.
I don't see why it would be a controversial statement as GURPS doesn't really have a Resources, Information advantage.

That said there are other ways to model access to the Occult Library.

Are there restrictions to its access? How is it accessed? How is it organized? How easy is it accessed? Does making use of the library require special skills?
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I feel that, to make Contact/Contact Group actually useful for the points... they must provide more than just something a skill roll could give.
Well, they do do the work for you, which saves the PC time. Though that's still a pretty minor benefit for the points. And in this case, it's exactly what the OP asked not to have happen, so Contacts wouldn't seem to fit at all.

I like the Pulling Rank idea. The PC can be a low-ranking member, even a 0-CP Rank 0 member, and still ask the organization for help. Or if the player likes the notion, perhaps they want to buy up their influence with that organization, which also makes for an adventure reward. High-ranking Library officials might act as patrons (as opposed to Patrons) to introduce some adventures, or The Librarians might show up on an especially tough but important case to help out :)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters