Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
Anders

Default Modular Abilities and Alternate Abilities

When do I use what? In most cases AA would probably be cheaper, but I assume there's still a niche market for Modular Abilities.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Modular Abilities and Alternate Abilities

AA if you know exactly what you want to do; MA if you intend to improvise.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:27 AM   #3
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
AA if you know exactly what you want to do; MA if you intend to improvise.
That's about the size of it. Modular lets you do a very wide variety of stuff, but AA is much cheaper.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
McAllister

To be a little more specific:

Modular Abilities costs somewhere between 2 and 5 points per point (I'm ignoring the per-slot cost). That means, for the same price, I could either get a 50 point MA, or I could get a 50 point ability and 5-25 AAs.

So, if reconfiguring your MA is slow, expensive and subject to outside interference (the criteria for paying 2 points per slot), you have to ask yourself, am I going use more than 6 different abilities in this MA? Because otherwise I can save myself a lot of hassle by going for AAs.

If reconfiguring your MA is more convenient than the sample above, it has to contend with even more AAs. This typically makes MA look like a really bad deal... right up until it gives you the solution to a problem you never thought you'd have.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
If reconfiguring your MA is more convenient than the sample above, it has to contend with even more AAs. This typically makes MA look like a really bad deal... right up until it gives you the solution to a problem you never thought you'd have.
Which is why the most expensive one is 10 points per point in your MA pool. If you buy that, you'd better have some serious imagination going!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
McAllister

For the record, I was using the guidelines in Powers, and I'm pretty sure the Cosmic MA ignores those guidelines. I'd use Cosmic MA if I had 1,000 points left over after building a demigod and was too lazy to spend them better... and that's about the only time.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
MagnetoHydroDynamics

Modular abilities work well to model "cantrip" superpowers.

I am working on a power concept based around having a ridiculous amount of small powers (and subsequently using them for maximum game-breaking effect.)

With the "Physical +50%" enhancement, a lengthy catalogue (6 points per slot) and switching abilities taking upwards of a minute of concentration and up to half an hour before they come "on line" (takes time, 5 points per MA point,) a power limitation "Super power -10%" and some other stuff like "Unreliable (inexact) -30%" and "Super powers only -10%" and multiplicative modifiers the price is quite fair.

It enables the character to have a number of probability manipulation abilities, a number of odd combat powers, charisma and chamelion, improved physique and many, many, many other abilities.
MagnetoHydroDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Anders

Ok. That's clearer. The more restricted the set of possible powers is, the better Alternate Abilities fits.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

Note that if you're nit-picky, The rule is "Alternative Abilities" not "Alternate".

While everyone knows what you mean, using the proper terminology will help people with similar questions find threads like this when searching the board for answers.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Note that if you're nit-picky, The rule is "Alternative Abilities" not "Alternate".

While everyone knows what you mean, using the proper terminology will help people with similar questions find threads like this when searching the board for answers.
*shrug*

I actually originally used Alternative, but discovered that the tag was Alternate so I went with that.

Tags
alternative abilities, modular abilities