Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 08-18-2018, 02:42 AM   #11
sgbeal

Default Re: Triplanetary: asymmetry bug wrt Attack/Counterattack 'D' effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
This gets trickier if you're using the advanced combat system, where you get to choose which of your Ds you remove.
i hadn't even considered the advanced combat system, as i have no intention of ever using it :/.

To me it seems reasonable to require ships to remove D's in the order they happen, as that's the order the repair crew is going to get allocated (no captain is going to wait for further damage to initially allocate repair crews). Re-allocating repair crews while they're working (e.g. from combat damage to movement damage) loses time and could lead to delays in recovering D's.
sgbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #12
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbeal View Post
Thoughts?
This is an interesting dilemma that is worthy of discussion.

While I haven't played more than a training game of the new Triplanetary, I wanted to get some feedback on a potential solution that preserves the simplicity of the current damage tracking.

Proposal:
Any "D" damage/disable that is accrued during your own player turn does not take effect until the very end of your Resupply Phase.

Possible exception: If any newly acquired "D" would put a ship past D5, it is still immediately destroyed.
Discussion:

I would still allow one "old" damage to be repaired in the Resupply Phase prior to the activation of the new damage.

Pros:
  • Damage symmetry is preserved. You only lose one whole player turn.
  • No need to track damage by phase.
Cons:
  • The reality of immediate damage consequences is distorted a bit.

Without more play experience, I may be missing some repercussions. Does this seem a workable option?
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
sgbeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Cons:
  • The reality of immediate damage consequences is distorted a bit.

Without more play experience, I may be missing some repercussions. Does this seem a workable option?
That one con makes it feel quite odd to me. OTOH, i don't heave nearly enough experience with the game to know whether it would, in practice, really bother me.

SJG's lack of response on this issue has really bummed me out about the game, to the point that i haven't been able to bring myself to play more than a single training game. :/
sgbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #14
Tom H.

Quote:
That one con makes it feel quite odd to me. OTOH, i don't heave nearly enough experience with the game to know whether it would, in practice, really bother me.
I think it can make sense. I guess the issue is trying to accommodate two levels of abstraction at the same time. A turn based one mixed with a phase based one. The turns representing a full day already indicate a high level of abstraction.

Quote:
SJG's lack of response on this issue has really bummed me out about the game, to the point that i haven't been able to bring myself to play more than a single training game. :/
Yes, I hear what you're saying.

I'm looking forward to the new The Fantasy Trip so I don't mind that that seems to be the latest focus, but it appears that current industry "treadmill" effect we were warned about is taking victims.
July 11, 2018: Evolving, Adapting And Building A Stronger Steve Jackson Games
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
triplanetary