Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
dimious200

Default Tuba of charm ,no-chasing monsters, stoned golem and halflings

hey guys,3 more questions

1)i am an Elf with Tuba of Charm and lets say that i am lvl 4 and face plutonium dragon.He doesnt chase me.can i try to run away (which is more than sure as i have a total of +4) in order to take that face down treasure OR its an automatic Run away?

2)say i face a monster that is friendly to me (lets say amazon for a girl character).so,if i am a girl with battle strength 10 and face amazon can i try to kill her instead of getting her free treasure? if another player enhances her can i say that she is friendly to me and take her one treasure? (so the opponenent will prevent me from taking 1 lvl and 2 treasures but i will still take 1 treasure)
In other words which scenario is right?
A)amazon wont attack me (neither can I) and i get 1 treasure only
B)i can choose to attack her and if i fail i take one treasure because she is friendly to me
C)i can choose to attack her but if i fail i have to Run away,and having her Bad stuff if i fail

what about wannabe vampire?can a cleric try to kill him and if he fails then take his treasure with "booga booga"?

3)ok,we all understand that you can deny your class/race so the monser you are facing wont take advantage against you but what happens with Stoned Golem?his text is "you may choose whether to fight the Golem or let him keep his treasure(Halflings must fight)"
SO if i am i halfling and draw Stoned Golem can i deny my race and wave at him or i dont have the time to do it and i enter the combat with Golem immediately?

And (in association to question 2) if i decide to battle it (halfling or non-halfling) and lose can i say that i dont want to fight it and wave at him?(i think its a little stupid question,it wouldnt have Bad stuff that way :P)

4)i open a door and draw plutonium dragon.i have Mate and Magic Lamp/Polymorph potion in my hand/can i play Mate and then the magic lamp in order to draw 10 treasures or in that case only one of the two dragons disappears?

Thanks guys!!

Last edited by dimious200; 04-02-2012 at 01:54 PM.
dimious200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Tuba of charm ,no-chasing monsters, stoned golem and halflings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimious200 View Post
hey guys,3 more questions

1)i am an Elf with Tuba of Charm and lets say that i am lvl 4 and face plutonium dragon.He doesnt chase me.can i try to run away (which is more than sure as i have a total of +4) in order to take that face down treasure OR its an automatic Run away?
You are successfully escaping combat, so that will trigger the tuba effect. An automatic escape is still an escape.

Quote:
2)say i face a monster that is friendly to me (lets say amazon for a girl character).so,if i am a girl with battle strength 10 and face amazon can i try to kill her instead of getting her free treasure? if another player enhances her can i say that she is friendly to me and take her one treasure? (so the opponenent will prevent me from taking 1 lvl and 2 treasures but i will still take 1 treasure)
B)i can choose to attack her and if i fail i take one treasure because she is friendly to me
C)i can choose to attack her but if i fail i have to Run away,and having her Bad stuff if i fail
A is correct. The Amazon will not fight and you can't make that choice.

Quote:
what about wannabe vampire?can a cleric try to kill him and if he fails then take his treasure with "booga booga"?
This one is different. Provided the Cleric never says the words 'booga booga', the Wannabe Vampire will stick around and fight. You can make that choice at any time.

Quote:
3)ok,we all understand that you can deny your class/race so the monser you are facing wont take advantage against you but what happens with Stoned Golem?his text is "you may choose whether to fight the Golem or let him keep his treasure(Halflings must fight)"
SO if i am i halfling and draw Stoned Golem can i deny my race and wave at him or i dont have the time to do it and i enter the combat with Golem immediately?
By 'denying', I'll assume you mean discarding the Race card, which is what you have to do to avoid such disadvantages (unless you are a Half-Breed with only one Race card). You also start battling the Stoned Golem as soon as he shows up, just like any other monster. However, as long as you are not a Halfling, you can choose to ignore him at any point, just like a Cleric fighting the Wannabe Vampire.

Quote:
And (in association to question 2) if i decide to battle it (halfling or non-halfling) and lose can i say that i dont want to fight it and wave at him?(i think its a little stupid question,it wouldnt have Bad stuff that way :P)
It might sound stupid, but that's the way it is. You can make that choice at any point before you lose (you lose when you declare loss or are forced to Run Away by a card effect). He's only actually a problem for Halflings and Gnomes. If you want to keep your race card and can't beat him, then you need to risk Death by Running Away. Somebody could also potentially throw Potion of Cowardice on you before you decide to ignore him, forcing you to Run Away, if they're being particularly Munchkinly.

Quote:
4)i open a door and draw plutonium dragon.i have Mate and Magic Lamp/Polymorph potion in my hand/can i play Mate and then the magic lamp in order to draw 10 treasures or in that case only one of the two dragons disappears?

Thanks guys!!
Mate is a second monster. It is not attached to the first and is not discarded if you remove the first from combat. If you use Magic Lamp, it would only remove the Mate and you would still need to fight or Run Away from the original monster.

Last edited by Clipper; 04-02-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
SmokeRulz

Quote:
"Will not pursue" basically means that your escape is automatic. You can't beat him, you run from the battle, and you don't have to avoid Bad Stuff because the monster isn't bothering to chase you. The Tuba of Charm says you get a treasure if you successfully escape, and you DID successfully escape, so I imagine you still get the treasure. Unless a mod overrules me.

Quote:

I believe the correct scenario is B, based on threads I've read before on this forum, but I'm not completely sure on this one. Same would go for the Wannabe Vampire, if I'm right. Wait for the mods.

Quote:
I believe you always have the option to discard your Race to avoid monsters getting a bonus against you, and I don't think Stoned Golem is an exception to this.

Quote:
If my scenario B assumption is correct, then yeah I imagine this is legal, and kind of weird. XD

Quote:
Nooooo. Nice try, but the Mate is considered a seperate monster, so you can only get rid of one of them. You'd be best off playing just the Magic Lamp and saving Mate for later to screw someone over.

As always, wait for one of our friendly neighborhood moderators to provide the official answers. :)
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Clipper

The only part where SmokeRulz and I disagree is on the treatment of Amazon, so here's proof that you have no choice against the Amazon:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
This is old, and I missed it way back when. Of course, we've gotten rid of the "friendly" Monster issue in the rules by now, but I want to correct the notion that one could discard one's class in this instance. Thief v. Lawyers and female v. Amazon are instant situations. The Monster departs as soon as the appropriate conditions exist, and you don't have a chance to discard the condition that causes the Monster to leave.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
dimious200

hmmm,yes but when was this posted?maybe there have been changes since then..
thanks a lot guys btw!
EDIT. it is from August 2011.

Can i ask something more?
-can you do the same with floating nose?after realising that you cant beat her, bribe her with 200 gold?or you have one chance to bribe her before Combat begins and if you choose to battle her and lose then you suffer from its bad stuuf?
-if you use something to distract Bullrog what happens?do you at least take its treasure?
-you said that amazon will leave automatically.Ok,after all you cant change your sex just because.
BUTa halfing has time to choose to discard his class in order to wave at Stoned Golem.So,wouldnt be fair for a high level thief to have time to discard his class in order to fight lawyer. I think that in that case (Stoned gole-Halfling,lawyer-thief) either they cant change their class and the monster texts activates immediately (so lawyer leaves and halfling must battle) or they have time to discard their class/race and this leads to an optional ecape for (ex)halfling and optional battle for (ex)thief..
i am a little confused now :-/

Last edited by dimious200; 04-02-2012 at 05:33 PM.
dimious200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Clipper

Quote:
hmmm,yes but when was this posted?maybe there have been changes since then..
thanks a lot guys btw!
EDIT. it is from August 2011.

Can i ask something more?
-can you do the same with floating nose?after realising that you cant beat her, bribe her with 200 gold?or you have one chance to bribe her before Combat begins and if you choose to battle her and lose then you suffer from its bad stuuf?
You can do it at any time during the combat.
Quote:
-if you use something to distract Bullrog what happens?do you at least take its treasure?
I assume you mean the Pit Bull rather than the Bullrog. The Pit Bull says the distraction is an automatic escape, so this is a choice you make after you lose the combat and are Running Away. Before your roll, you can drop a stick-like Item to avoid needing to roll to escape from the Pit Bull. You can't do this during combat like you can for the other monsters discussed so far.
Quote:
-you said that amazon will leave automatically.Ok,after all you cant change your sex just because.
BUTa halfing has time to choose to discard his class in order to wave at Stoned Golem.So,wouldnt be fair for a high level thief to have time to discard his class in order to fight lawyer. I think that in that case (Stoned gole-Halfling,lawyer-thief) either they cant change their class and the monster texts activates immediately (so lawyer leaves and halfling must battle) or they have time to discard their class/race and this leads to an optional ecape for (ex)halfling and optional battle for (ex)thief..
i am a little confused now :-/
The Amazon and Lawyers are automatic and remove the monster from the fight. Once out of the fight they can't re-enter. The Stoned Golem has a choice you can make to remove him from the fight at any time, but only if you are not a Halfling at the time. That's the difference. Once you ignore him, you can't bring him back.

I'm fairly sure that if you are not a Halfling, but have a Halfling card in your hand, you can even wave at the Stoned Golem to remove him from the fight and then play the card to become a Halfling before the end of battle to fight any remaining monsters. I'm not 100% sure on this one, but it's backed up by the way the Lawyers don't come back after you discard Thief and how the Stoned Golem can be ignored while still fighting the other monsters in the combat (from the FAQ).

Edit: Rereading your question here, I thought I'd reiterate one more point too. You don't get a choice at the start of combat to either Run Away or fight the monsters as you seem to be implying in your question. You are ALWAYS fighting, from as soon as the monster appears up until the point that you either win or lose the combat. You lose the combat if you are currently losing the fight and you admit defeat. You must then Run Away. You win the combat if you are winning the fight and everybody else agrees to let you win (by not playing cards to stop you within the reasonable time you must give them). You then get levels and treasure for the monsters you defeated.

Last edited by Clipper; 04-02-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
dimious200

so should i think combat that way?that from the time time you draw a card battle begins and when a card says "doesnt attack ...." means that you dont have time to decide to change the terms that end the battle and when something gives you the opportunity to escape then you can try to defeat the monster before using that?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Clipper

Quote:
so should i think combat that way?that from the time time you draw a card battle begins and when a card says "doesnt attack ...." means that you dont have time to decide to change the terms that end the battle and when something gives you the opportunity to escape then you can try to defeat the monster before using that?
I think you have it correct now.

Just in case, I'll add that with the 'doesn't attack' thing, it means you don't have time to change the terms of ending the battle with that monster (it doesn't end the entire combat or affect the other monsters if any exist). People still have time to use a Wandering Monster to bring in a new monster for you to fight and so on.

Tags
amazon, magic lamp, mate, stoned golem, tuba of charm