Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #11
lachimba

Default Re: Overview of professions for the players...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Thanks for your reply!

Well, yes, but IMHO that way would be unfavorable, because of two aspects:

1) If I would use D&D for getting people to play DFRPG indeed the question arises: Why aren't we playing D&D if this new game is not even able to introduce itself in a nice way and if it is just the same kind of thing in another color...?

Why aren't World of Warcraft players playing D&D?

Why aren't Descent players playing D&D?

Why aren't Munchkin players playing D&D?

Why aren't any other players of the literally thousands of RPGs that use classes derivative of D&D playing D&D?

I do not believe that Knight, for example requires any more than a one word summary "Fighter".
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #12
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
I do not believe that Knight, for example requires any more than a one word summary "Fighter".
If you want to see what extensive marketing (with big budgets) gets out of just a single word like fighter or knight - not yet started with crunch - look here for example: http://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-...lasses/fighter

I guess it's safe to assume that these guys know their marketing skills, right...? ;)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:54 PM   #13
PK

Here's an edited version of what I have for those professions in my GURPS DF list. Exception: I just rewrote most of the cleric from scratch.

Barbarian

The barbarian is a huge, strong, tough fighter who tends relies on boatloads of hit points to stay alive -- though you can wear heavy armor or focus on agile defenses as well. They're also excellent outdoorsmen, knowing how to survive and spot threats in many situations.

Bard

The bard is charming, smart, and manipulative. It's a support role with access to some incredible music-based powers (Mind Control, Speak With Animals, Terror, and more) and influential wizardly spells. Don't underestimate them.

Cleric

The cleric is a holy spellcaster with a few god-granted powers. Spells focus on healing, buffs, and things to affect spirits and the undead, while Holy Might fills a similar niche but with more potent, "spammable" effects. Can be a surprisingly good combatant, especially if Blessed.

Druid

The druid s a master of Nature, with spells that govern animals, plants, weather, and similar things, along with some Nature-granted special powers. They can fight as well as support, and their abilities are strong outside, though they do weaken somewhat in man-made environments.

Holy Warrior

The holy warrior is a fighter dedicated to serving a deity, and who receives holy powers (like a cleric, but without the spellcasting) in return. They focus on wiping out demons and/or the undead, and unlike "paladins," they don't have to have a stick up their butt.

Knight

The knight is a straightforward warrior with many advantage points for the purpose of letting you customize -- on top of being strong, agile, tough, trained with at least a few weapons, and knowledgeable about tactics, armories, leadership, etc. Build anything from a terrifying thug to a noble field commander.

Martial Artist

The martial artist is a fighter who specializes in light (or no) weapons and prioritizes movement and dodging over toughness. They engage in chi-focusing rituals every day that give them access to cinematic supernatural powers and skills which let them push themselves beyond mortal limits.

Scout

The scout is both a master of the outdoors and the scariest archer around. In a fight, they're skilled enough to use a bow even when foes close to melee range, and out of a fight, they keep the party alive in the wilderness with navigation and trapping skill.

Swashbuckler

The swashbuckler is a fighter who focuses on agility and speed over strength and toughness, and prefers to master a single weapon rather than learn several. They can be a bit squishy, but are also capable of delivering devastating blows due to special training.

Thief

The thief is a versatile rogue who helps get the party past locked doors and traps, and prefers to attack from the shadows (or behind) in a fight. They're also excellent at getting to difficult places via climbing, squeezing, or parkour. Thieves can range from noble explorers to greedy thugs, but are always highly skilled.

Wizard

The wizard is the classic spellcaster, with no special powers except for access to the widest range of spells available in the game. They are therefore remarkably versatile, able to focus tightly on one concept or spread themselves broadly across many mystical rituals. And yes, they can wear armor.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #14
lachimba

Quote:
If you want to see what extensive marketing (with big budgets) gets out of just a single word like fighter or knight - not yet started with crunch - look here for example: http://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-...lasses/fighter

I guess it's safe to assume that these guys know their marketing skills, right...? ;)

So give them that link. Problem solved.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #15
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Here's an edited version of what I have for those professions in my GURPS DF list. Exception: I just rewrote most of the cleric from scratch
Thank you very much, that's great! :) I'll definitely use it for my announcement/preparation for an upcoming convention game with new players...
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #16
adm

PK, that's a great write up.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
demonsbane

Quote:
You could use PK's text along with some of these WotC's images by putting a bit of layout into the document, a sort of DIY campaign conspectus.

Quote:
Thank you very much, that's great! :) I'll definitely use it for my announcement/preparation for an upcoming convention game with new players...

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game aids