Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
AZRA3L

Default The difference between "defeating" and "killing."

Moderator Edit: This was moved since it really didn't belong lost in some other thread to which it wasn't a true follow-up to the original question.

What's the difference between "defeating" a monster and "killing" a monster? More importantly, to WIN a game you must KILL a monster correct? So what's the difference?

Here's my issue...

My friends and I were in an intense game of Munchkin Conan. I was at level 9, had an ARSENAL behind me to win the game, and was just waiting for my turn. My friend before me then proceeded to sell a ton of items to go from level 5 to level 9. He then played a level 2 monster for his "Look For Trouble" followed by The Smoke That Strangles card...

Does that win him the game?

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-04-2013 at 05:48 AM.
AZRA3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: The difference between "defeating" and "killing."

I believe the card's intent is that it kills a Monster of Level 5 or below, so he would win the game. However, there's a rather helpful note (Important Note #3) in the FAQ about what the differences between killing and defeating a Monster are. I know that this card doesn't say, specifically, that it kills the Monster, but in this case, I'm fairly certain that it's supposed to do the job.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-04-2013 at 06:03 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
AZRA3L

So basically, after reading Important Note #3 in the FAQ, my understanding is what he did was completely legal. The only way he could've been stopped is if someone had played a Wandering Monster on him, correct?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Clipper

Sounds like you understand the rule perfectly, AZRA3L. Note that you could also play a Lose a Level curse on him to stop him from winning, along with a few other strategies.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
AZRA3L

Right. Got that. I was just curious cuz the rules are very specific when it comes to the fact that you have to "kill" a monster to win. So that's why I asked about the difference between "killing" and "defeating".
Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
Blazinjsin

Another fun strategy is holding on to some GUAL cards until you are fighting at level 7 or so when nobody has saved any hate for youthen when you've established that no one can stop you from killing the monster, play enough GUAL cards to hit level 9 and kill the monster for the win. It doesn't win you friends, but it wins the game lol

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
helium_wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Sounds like you understand the rule perfectly, AZRA3L. Note that you could also play a Lose a Level curse on him to stop him from winning, along with a few other strategies.
I know that we can use a lose a Level Curse in (not after) a normal (i.e., just compare Combat Strength) game-winning combat. Can we use that Curse in such instant-kill situation as descripted by OP too?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
Mister Ed

I'm not familiar with "The Smoke that Strangles". Does it instantly end the combat, or only instantly kill the monster? Because I would think that, if it only instant kills the monster, but people would still have time to wander in another before the combat was officially over, then they would also have time to play something that makes the player lose a level.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazinjsin View Post
Another fun strategy is holding on to some GUAL cards until you are fighting at level 7 or so when nobody has saved any hate for youthen when you've established that no one can stop you from killing the monster, play enough GUAL cards to hit level 9 and kill the monster for the win. It doesn't win you friends, but it wins the game lol
Of course, you still need to give them reasonable time to stop you after you played the GUALs too. There are cards they may not have wanted to play before that they will definitely want to play after you level up. I think you probably knew this already, but it might give others the wrong impression if we don't mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helium_wong View Post
I know that we can use a lose a Level Curse in (not after) a normal (i.e., just compare Combat Strength) game-winning combat. Can we use that Curse in such instant-kill situation as descripted by OP too?

Thanks.
The Smoke That Strangles only gives automatic victory over a monster. It does not contain any text that implies it ends the combat, so the combat is not over yet, despite there being no monsters remaining. Thus, the reasonable time period before the combat officially ends must be observed and Wandering Monster or a curse are perfectly valid plays during that time.