Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Octopus guard vs four adventuers

TFT combat is less deadly that you expect, once you pile on the munchkinisms.

https://youtu.be/wyA2aiNvyVw
Old 12-19-2019, 12:57 AM   #2
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: Octopus guard vs four adventuers

I think the Octopus got a raw deal. :-)

A few mistakes. Why did it try to sweep attack against just two guys? Enemies with that level of equipment could be expected to at least give it a -2DX modifier. So single attacks would at least have left some marks on the enemies, and lowered or knocked them down. Sometimes a good attack is the best defense.

Having its only side covered by the well was a good tactic, but it would have been even better if it had used his first action to disengage and by doing so, engaged all four enemies. Or attacked one of them and retreated that guy and then shifted to engage all four. Then he could have either swept all four next turn or he could have trashed the wizards, one at a time.

And no surprise? The enemies had their weapons drawn and were ready. No hiding and engaging them one at a time, or at least taking them in a doorway so not all could get at him at once? But instead, it got more or less flanked by the two tanks and held in place, doing inefficient sweeps. The two wizards were hardly needed.

But then again, the players could have taken the Octopus by surprise, and then gang up on it while it was hanging/climbing in the well trying to draw its great sword. So circumstances rule a melee fight.

In short, when the players can set up the fight correctly, have some XP and good gear it is not so deadly. But one tactical mistake or just bad luck and you get Greatsword to the noggin. And, sooner or later that simple double or triple hit will take you out. :-D

Good video, and always fun to watch fights like this.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
hcobb

When I return to the Octopus I'll tone down the characters and restrict magic items. (And maybe have an adventure for the Octopus merchant from the linked character sheet.)

Polling says my next video should be sword and torch in a dungeon

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1410...1472795516868/

c.f. ITL (1)45, ITL 61, ITL 119 (i.e. the most common config in the rulebook)
Old 12-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
hcobb

And here is Sword and Torch against nuisance encounters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcWPP8carjE
Old 12-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
larsdangly

One fun thing about playing TFT on a table top with megahex tiles is that you can strictly enforce illumination and line-of-sight. In that case, a lone, non-magical adventurer has little choice but to go with sword+torch!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote