Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 09-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #11
David Bofinger

Default Re: Weapons as staves

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
A wizard involved in HTH must drop his staff.
Until now I never noticed the double entendre.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #12
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I think the sword/dagger solution was included because there are magical traditions that use swords or daggers to cast spells. Google "athame".
Good point. Doesn't quite sway me, but a good point.

Quote:
But it still costs two spells, when a club costs zero. The club does considerably more damage in melee than the dagger.

Yes, but the ability to inflict a small amount of damage is unlikely to be what keeps you alive. In practice if this happens you probably need rescue. And if forced into HTH there's a chance you can draw a dagger for free, should you wish to use it, and with the HTH bonus cancelling the unskilled penalty you should be at least slightly effective, though you won't be able to cast spells while you hold it.

I feel the same way about clubs that you do about daggers.
Interesting difference of opinion there. You're right that wielding a club two-handed always does more damage than a dagger.

Guess I'll hold of on house-ruling for now. I still tend to think the dagger is a fairly obvious best choice, but the primary way a wizard gets forced into HTH is against animals, since many of them have a higher MA than 10. Maybe that's not all that common, I don't know.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #13
hcobb

With Staff IV+ the most important point about the wizard's staff is to leave the off-hand free for a brand to keep the wolves at bay.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #14
TippetsTX

My own rules...

A wizard may create and imbue this personalized magic item with unique properties through which their arcane power may be enhanced. Usually, this will take the form of a staff, but it can also be a wand, rod or cane. Cost of materials will vary since while wood is the most common medium (the core must be some type of organic matter), bone, ivory, abalone shell, and other combinations are also possible, and gem or crystal decorations are common for wealthy wizards. Metal is prohibited, however.

In my campaign, a wizard's staff is exclusive to members of the Mage's Guild. It is a symbol of status within the guild and it cannot be acquired until the character has passed a uniquely designed test or challenge known as a Wizard Trial. Non-affiliated mages are therefore limited to non-staff alternatives unless they want to risk unfavorable attention from guild wizards.

In other words, NO sword-staves or silver dagger-wands in my game.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 09-17-2020 at 07:52 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #15
hcobb

So you have an enchantment?
Old 09-17-2020, 05:38 PM   #16
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
So you have an enchantment?
It's a Power in my game, but yes, you could say that it is a specialized enchantment (assuming I understand your question).

Last edited by TippetsTX; 09-17-2020 at 07:54 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:27 PM   #17
Helborn

I have been partial to wizards carrying spears (with a silver head) as staffs. Yes they have to have the Pole Weapon Talent but the defense against charges (2d+1d Occult Dmg at +2DX) is worth the points; as well as the ability to poke 2 hexes away with additional Occult Dmg even before knowing Staff III.
When adding Mana to the staff is so costly, this becomes a cheap alternative - even though you need ST 11.

Also, I have allowed using the Quarterstaff Talent with a spear. I have seen enough SCA and Martial Art exhibitions to believe that it is acceptable.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:14 AM   #18
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
I have allowed using the Quarterstaff Talent with a spear. I have seen enough SCA and Martial Art exhibitions to believe that it is acceptable.
It is downright weird that a quarterstaff does more damage in melee than a spear. I suppose you could require the character to have the quarterstaff talent.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #19
hcobb

Spear does more damage than quarterstaff when used as directed for jabbing and charge shock.

In melee however:

2-h spear: 1d+1
quarterstaff: 1d+2
Untalented wooden rod: 1d+2

So drop your Pole Weapons talent and flip the spear around to bash folks with the blunt end.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #20
TippetsTX

If you really need your wizard's staff to do double-duty as another weapon, try this...

IQ 9 - Staff to Sword (T)

A bit of a misnomer, this spell allows the wizard to temporarily transform their staff (or wand, rod, etc.) into a melee weapon of similar size. For example, a wand could be changed to a dagger or hatchet, but not a broadsword. The wizard must still have the required talents as well as sufficient ST to use the weapon w/o penalty. The transformation lasts for 12 turns.

Normal cost is 1 ST, but if the wizard uses 3 ST the weapon will be fine (+1 to hit).

Cost: 1 ST