Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Blue Ghost

Default Sunday Drivers question

So, I tried going through the archive with a search to find an answer, but haven't come across one.

My question is this; why was the expansion title changed from Sunday Drivers to Crash City? I've always been curious about this, and it did seem to cause some consternation among the local fellow autoduellests.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: Sunday Drivers question

The story I heard is that SJ Games got a bit of flak from the sort of folks who assumed that it was an insult against elderly drivers.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
Blue Ghost

Really? Wow. Now why does that make me laugh? I know it shouldn't, but it does.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:01 AM   #4
Racer

There was also a Radio Program called Sunday Drivers ( in the UK at least ) and that also caused confusion or something ?
Old 06-18-2018, 06:08 AM   #5
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
There was also a Radio Program called Sunday Drivers ( in the UK at least ) and that also caused confusion or something ?
I really doubt that. Sunday Drivers/Crash City was a very early SJ Games release, and even if they had a UK distributor at the time, I would imagine that buyers would understand that the title is a generic term.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #6
Racer

I played Sunday Drivers/Crash City in late 1982/early 1983 in the UK .

Britain has ( and had ) some extremely strange Laws on intellectual property rights . The 'Top Cat' Cartoon had to be called 'Boss Cat' in the UK , as there was a catfood called Top Cat already .

W.H.Smith Newsagent/Retailer had to put stickers over various gaming products to change their names from those already used for novels/magazines/records . Sunday Drivers was also Golf Magazine I seem to recall ? It's a long time ago & we had some equally bizarre reasons for changing names of American products that now seem ridiculous .

On a side note , I only recently found out the Moon Pies were the North American name for 'Wagon Wheels' in the UK ! Only released that after looking them up after they were mentioned on The Big Bang Theory ...
Old 06-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #7
Blue Ghost

That's interesting about the UK. I just remember my gaming group being really … I don't know how you put it … "upset" or unsettled about the name change. I shrugged my shoulders at. I guess I figured it was more of marketing decision, maybe to make the supplement sound more combat like or Car Wars-ish.

Oh well. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
ColBosch

That is interesting, Racer. In the US, trademarks are usually industry (or even location) specific.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
43Supporter

It's like that for every industry, almost -- one of the automobile-themed websites I subscribe to is catching FlAK from folk in Britain, Australia, and New Zealand over various levels of "blackouts" (some programs are available in one place, but not others; NZ isn't allowed onto the site at all...).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
Racer

The Ford Capri was offered & the withdrawn in the US for a very short time during the 1970's - apparently 'Capri' was also used as slang for a certain 'act' ... well according to my Technology Teacher anyway ...

The Volkswagen Rabbit has & is called the Golf in & around Europe probably for minor reason .
Another car ( name & make escape me ) was also withdrawn from US market , as it's name in Spanish meant 'Street Walker' ...

For more fun vehicle names , see here :
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.c...ive-car-names/

Last edited by Racer; 06-18-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote