Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-06-2018, 06:15 AM   #111
tbeard1999

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I would like to hope that there is absolutely no chance of replacing 3d6 with d20. I cannot stand d20 based systems. There is nothing wrong with the probability curve of 3d6...
EDIT - my original percentages were wrong; post is now corrected.

<shrug> Well, I did say it was a heresy. :)

And actually, it appears that, like me, you were dissatisfied with the 3d6 system. You simply chose a different path than I did. Your system more or less replicates the old Runequest resistance table, which can be a very workable solution. But I explicitly wanted to retain the "roll the attribute or less" aspect of TFT and using the d20 seemed a simply, low footprint solution. And we did play it a lot and were quite satisfied with it.

I'd add that your system still preserves what I consider a negative feature of the 3d6 bell curve - a very modest difference in ability rating can create a significant difference in capability. Your example illustrates this quite nicely - a fighter with a DX of 14, now hits on an 11 or less (63% chance). His opponent, with a DX of 12 hits on a 9 or less (37.5%).

The original success percentages are DX 14 - 90.74%, DX 12 - 74.07%. In other words, the DX 12 guy will hit about 84% as often as the DX 14 guy.

But in your system the DX 12 guy hits about 60% as often as the DX 12 guy.

This doesn't preserve the original difference in capability. But my real objection is that it shows how the 3d6 bell curve can create a huge difference in capability with a modest difference in ratings. I don't think I like it.

The d20 system preserves this *particular* relationship quite well - the DX 12 hits about 86% as often as the DX 14 guy. However, I like a steady 5% increase in success percentage per attribute point. With the 3d6 system, the effectively useful attribute range is from 6 (~10% chance of success) to 14 (~90% chance of success). A 42 point character could have a base success of 90% on ST, DX and IQ rolls. With the d20, the same range is 2 to 19, which allows for more character points without breaking the system.

Of course, these things are highly subjective, so there's really not much to debate.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 01-06-2018 at 07:22 AM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #112
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
Exactly! Just picking up the game takes me back to a simpler time in rpging. You get to see how raw it is, but in that rawness their is a certain charm, and a flexibility one seldom sees today.

I'd be happy to see reprints of Melee, Wizard, DT 1 & 2, and Tollenkar's Lair. And then with TFT:ITL, I'd love to see it all gathered together in one book or box, like I was expecting to see originally.
"Let's party like it was 1981 again..."

:D
Old 01-06-2018, 06:45 AM   #113
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
"Let's party like it was 1981 again..."

:D
Hey, between this and Triplanetary being re-released, I'm feeling like the proverbial kid in a candy store.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #114
pyratejohn

I'm curious to know what do you believe are the elements that define Melee/Wizard/TFT? When you think of the game, what is the first thing that comes to mind?
Old 01-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #115
tbeard1999

Quote:
I'm curious to know what do you believe are the elements that define Melee/Wizard/TFT? When you think of the game, what is the first thing that comes to mind?
3 attributes.
Roll attribute or less.
Fast but flexible character creation.
No classes.
Fast but comprehensive combat system.
Megahexes.
Edit - hexes, not squares

Last edited by tbeard1999; 01-06-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #116
Groknard

Quote:
Map and counters/minis, and everything that comes with that. Hexes, megahexes, facing, tactics. I probably would have loved D&D4E if it hadn't been everything that TFT isn't: slow, hundreds of pages of rules, massive character sheet, exception-based, too many stats, too many dice...

I know plenty of people have played TFT as straight "theater of the mind" role playing without these things, but the thought has never occurred to me. I embrace the place it sits between boardgame and RPG.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #117
Chris Rice

D6 system
Pure Attribute system (all checks made against relevant attribute)
Simple Talent system
Complete integrated Tactical melee and magic system
Simple and logical
Progression via attribute increase (systems only major flaw)
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #118
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
what the heck is a “trefoil” anyway?
Since it's just becoming that season, I'll say it's a famous (US) Girl Scout cookie which used to have this shape, though now it's their stacked-faces logo and the overall outline is kind of vague on the modern cookie.

Originally, a three-leaved plant like clover (Latin "trifolium"), and from that more generally, a similar arrangement of three of anything, like the stylized clubs symbol on playing cards, or three mutually-adjacent hexes on a hex map.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #119
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groknard View Post
Map and counters/minis, and everything that comes with that. Hexes, megahexes, facing, tactics. I probably would have loved D&D4E if it hadn't been everything that TFT isn't: slow, hundreds of pages of rules, massive character sheet, exception-based, too many stats, too many dice...

I know plenty of people have played TFT as straight "theater of the mind" role playing without these things, but the thought has never occurred to me. I embrace the place it sits between boardgame and RPG.
That’s a great way to put it. TFT was an uncommonly good blend of board game and RPG. And that’s hard to do...see 3E D&D for how to take the worst aspects of both.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #120
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Progression via attribute increase (systems only major flaw)
I never did see that as a flaw. It allowed for customized - and simple - gradual improvement. I’d submit that it simply wouldn’t be TFT without attribute increase.

Tags
in the labyrinth, melee, roleplaying, the fantasy trip, wizard