Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #41
Keiko
Banned

Default Re: Street prostitutes and Erotic Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Should you get a -2 familiarity penalty for (a) new partner(s)? :p
Well, I'd say if you were rolling to determine the quality of performance or some other factor then that might be applicable. Different people like different things and what's pleasurable to one partner might do nothing for (or even be unpleasant or painful) to another particularly if they have some unusual quirks or peccadillo (or almost all your other partners have...)

But, if some reason, you're just rolling to handle something like basic vaginal penetration* (which I wouldn't imagine would come up often even in game with a close focus on sexual activity) barring some really unusual physiological different or problem, probably not.

*Though I have heard stories of first time experiences that sure seemed like failed skill rolls to do that. :D
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #42
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
But, if some reason, you're just rolling to handle something like basic vaginal penetration* (which I wouldn't imagine would come up often even in game with a close focus on sexual activity) barring some really unusual physiological different or problem, probably not.
Came up fairly regularly in some of my games for a while. But I think now, I would say that it was a DX roll, with a miss only on a critical failure. For a normal failure I'd just say "finished too soon" or something else hazardous to the woman's enjoyment.

There are cases where it would be the woman's player who rolled, of course. I'm not sure what a normal or a critical failure ought to represent there.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #43
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Came up fairly regularly in some of my games for a while. But I think now, I would say that it was a DX roll, with a miss only on a critical failure. For a normal failure I'd just say "finished too soon" or something else hazardous to the woman's enjoyment.

There are cases where it would be the woman's player who rolled, of course. I'm not sure what a normal or a critical failure ought to represent there.

Bill Stoddard
I meant making a roll literally just to get "Tab A in Slot B" not for the end result. :)
Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #44
Keiko
Banned

Quote:

Bill Stoddard
Maybe things like: Listless, disturbing, inappropriate or clearly faked responses or actions that killed the mood, awkward timing positioning or their partner didn't orgasm or it wasn't very fulfilling if the did. With the female in the superior position there's a possibility of penile injury if something really goes awry.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #45
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
But I think now, I would say that it was a DX roll, with a miss only on a critical failure.
HT seems more appropriate than DX here.

Quote:
Well there's always the possibility of accidently inflicting injury to a partner.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #46
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
I meant making a roll literally just to get "Tab A in Slot B" not for the end result. :)
I can see a miss, but only on a critical failure, I think. I mean, you don't make someone roll to open a door, do you? Or flip a light switch? Some actions are just really basic; it makes sense to assume that people can do them.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #47
SimonAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
This. Is. Fourthedition!

Seriously, let's cut down on the skill bloat.
Aye. All forms of physical interaction in sex are handled by Erotic Art in GURPS. Mental ones are Sex Appeal.

Almost no one has any points in Erotic Art it though as mentioned a professional courtesan might and might have a specialty as well (tie knot in cherry stem, whatever)

A prostitute probably could have a professional skill and you could make a similar argument for a dominatrix but its probably simpler to treat them as specialties of streetwise and sex appeal respectively since the former is an trade requiring mostly street smarts and the later, while skilled is basically mind sex.

Physical acts can be treated as part of the specialty so if your campaign goes in that direction, just allow "ropes" or "whips" or whatever as specialties or narrow specialties as needed.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #48
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
An angle adjustment that in one of several ways leads to an interruption or a full stop/start over. An (possibly unconscious) action of some sort that is extremely unappreaciated by the partner. Before the action starts, an unsuccessful search in the dark followed out loud by the conclusion that 'Something is missing there'.

And while uncommon, finishing early and becoming rather unwilling to continue is realistic. But I'm pretty sure if it ever comes up in an RPG session, the PCs will definitely that it Means Something Significant About One Of The Partners, because the chances of such a 'reversal' are not high.

At this point I have to wonder what sort of reality whswhs lives in. He has perfect and numerous players, and he's apparently never been crit-failed by a partner in bed. That . . . feels cinematic. ^_^
(That is a joke. Weirder things exist in this reality.)
Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #49
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I didn't bring it up, and did call it slightly off-topic...

I've got to dispute the "way more than 75 points" thing, though. Observe:

Name: Cynthia, Top-Shelf Call Girl [35]

Culture TL 8 [0]; Familiarity: Western [0]; Languages: English (Native / Native) [0]; French (Broken / Broken) [2];

Attributes: ST 8 [-20]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 10 [0];

Secondaries: Spd 5.0 [0]; Mov 5 [0]; HP 8 [0]; FP 11 [3]; Per 12 [5]; Will 11 [0];

Advantages: Appearance (Beautiful) [12]; Empathy (Sensitive) [5]; Fit [5]; Flexible (Regular) [5]; Wealth (Very Wealthy) [30];

Perks: Classic Features (Girl Next Door) [1];

Disadvantages: Dependents (Two Beloved 0-Point Children, 6-) [-30]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Secret (Minor-League Criminal) [-10]; Status 0 (Lives Decently but Way Below Her Wealth-Indicated Means; Banks a Lot of Cash) [-5];

Quirks: Careful [-1]; Proud [-1]; Responsive [-1]; Thinks White Eyeliner is Attractive (on her own time; can forgo it at work for a schtick) [-1];

Skills: Acting (A) IQ+1 [4]-12; Carousing (E) HT [1]-10; Connoisseur (A) (Art) IQ-1 [1]-10, (Wine) IQ-1 [1]-10; Current Affairs/TL8 (E) (High Culture) IQ [1]-11, (People) IQ [1]-11; Erotic Art (A) DX+4f [4]-14; Savoir-Faire (E) (High Society) IQ+2 [4]-13; Sex Appeal (A) HT+1 [4]-11;

f = +3 for Flexibility

Notes: This is about as good as it gets with prostitutes. Having sex with you is almost (sometimes completely) secondary to the services she provides: This girl can convince your friends and family that you are the man that caught her, and that that is something to write home about. She is very skilled, but (more importantly), she lacks the sort of Disadvantages one would usually associate with a prostitute (Addiction, major Daddy issues, etc). She only works a couple of days a week, but provides a very respectable life for herself and her children off of that and is quite happy about it.
Faking high Status would be Acting and Make-Up (which I would include). Yeah, 75-point prostitutes are cinematic.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #50
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Medieval street prostitutes wouldn't normally know Erotic Arts would they? Most customers are just interested in a quickie anyway, right?
Hop in my time machine and we will research this one.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
professions, prostitute, skills, soldier