Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #31
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Street prostitutes and Erotic Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That, however, is the modern equivalent of a courtesan, practicing a variant of the art of courtesanry. You're sort of doing the equivalent of comparing a skilled neurosurgeon with a paramedic—or a medieval barber-surgeon. And the character would be built on way more than 75 points! (To start with, that's a Very Wealthy job. . . .)
I didn't bring it up, and did call it slightly off-topic...

I've got to dispute the "way more than 75 points" thing, though. Observe:

Name: Cynthia, Top-Shelf Call Girl [35]

Culture TL 8 [0]; Familiarity: Western [0]; Languages: English (Native / Native) [0]; French (Broken / Broken) [2];

Attributes: ST 8 [-20]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 10 [0];

Secondaries: Spd 5.0 [0]; Mov 5 [0]; HP 8 [0]; FP 11 [3]; Per 12 [5]; Will 11 [0];

Advantages: Appearance (Beautiful) [12]; Empathy (Sensitive) [5]; Fit [5]; Flexible (Regular) [5]; Wealth (Very Wealthy) [30];

Perks: Classic Features (Girl Next Door) [1];

Disadvantages: Dependents (Two Beloved 0-Point Children, 6-) [-30]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Secret (Minor-League Criminal) [-10]; Status 0 (Lives Decently but Way Below Her Wealth-Indicated Means; Banks a Lot of Cash) [-5];

Quirks: Careful [-1]; Proud [-1]; Responsive [-1]; Thinks White Eyeliner is Attractive (on her own time; can forgo it at work for a schtick) [-1];

Skills: Acting (A) IQ+1 [4]-12; Carousing (E) HT [1]-10; Connoisseur (A) (Art) IQ-1 [1]-10, (Wine) IQ-1 [1]-10; Current Affairs/TL8 (E) (High Culture) IQ [1]-11, (People) IQ [1]-11; Erotic Art (A) DX+4f [4]-14; Savoir-Faire (E) (High Society) IQ+2 [4]-13; Sex Appeal (A) HT+1 [4]-11;

f = +3 for Flexibility

Notes: This is about as good as it gets with prostitutes. Having sex with you is almost (sometimes completely) secondary to the services she provides: This girl can convince your friends and family that you are the man that caught her, and that that is something to write home about. She is very skilled, but (more importantly), she lacks the sort of Disadvantages one would usually associate with a prostitute (Addiction, major Daddy issues, etc). She only works a couple of days a week, but provides a very respectable life for herself and her children off of that and is quite happy about it.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #32
whswhs

Well, the Status can't very well be straight out zero, because she has to be able to appear to be a plausible girlfriend for a very wealthy man, and therefore she has to have expensive clothes to fit that role.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #33
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Well, the Status can't very well be straight out zero, because she has to be able to appear to be a plausible girlfriend for a very wealthy man, and therefore she has to have expensive clothes to fit that role.

Bill Stoddard
She spends pocket money on the clothes and fakes the rest with Savoir-Faire, while living in an apartment comparable to mine. The kids' college fund is her top priority. ETA: Give her Sig Gear if you want; it's still less than half of 75.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 04-11-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #34
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:

Bill Stoddard
Best Suit + Impersonating Higher Status? That actually seems to be the whole point. (Sorry for not using proper SE terms - I'm in the middle of some calibration.)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
She spends pocket money on the clothes and fakes the rest with Savoir-Faire, while living in an apartment comparable to mine. The kids' college fund is her top priority. ETA: Give her Sig Gear if you want; it's still less than half of 75.
You'll need to include grooming and jewelry and such, of course.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #36
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
You'll need to include grooming and jewelry and such, of course.

Bill Stoddard
Even if we give her full Status 1 so we can handwave waxing and baubles and such as CoL (which I don't personally think she lives up to, but for the sake of argument), that's still only 40. Asta's 75-point gutter whores are going to be cinematically exceptional no matter how we slice it.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Skills: Acting (A) IQ+1 [4]-12; Carousing (E) HT [1]-10; Connoisseur (A) (Art) IQ-1 [1]-10, (Wine) IQ-1 [1]-10; Current Affairs/TL8 (E) (High Culture) IQ [1]-11, (People) IQ [1]-11; Erotic Art (A) DX+4f [4]-14; Savoir-Faire (E) (High Society) IQ+2 [4]-13; Sex Appeal (A) HT+1 [4]-11;
Housekeeping? Parenting? Hobbies? Does she do her own finances? What did she study in college? Shouldn't she at least have a Dabbler Perk for that? Everything here is her job, but she clearly has a life beyond that.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #38
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Housekeeping? Parenting? Hobbies? Does she do her own finances? What did she study in college? Shouldn't she at least have a Dabbler Perk for that? Everything here is her job, but she clearly has a life beyond that.
I don't know her that well; she's a client. I'd assume about 5 more points in that sort of stuff if I wanted to be stringently realistic, but I've known her for about seven years now and have received no indication of that sort of thing; assign whatever random liberal arts subjects and personal interests that you like and you're still well below "way over 75."
Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #39
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Ehn. The laundresses generally weren't averse to supplementing their primary job with a bit of prostitution.
I'm pretty sure that when you've got a few thousand possibly-brutal but definitely-licentious soldiers tramping around the countryside, the support train will almost always include some women who are relieving them of their money by relieving their tensions. But the laundresses may well be too busy and have too much self-respect to moonlight in that field.

In some periods at least, they were making damn good money. I'm told that in Victorian-or-thereabouts armies, it was sometimes the Regimental Sergeant Major's perk to have first dibs on courting the laundress - because she was probably making better money than he was.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #40
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Vanilla sex is covered by PS: Prostitute. I have spoken.
*bows down*

:)
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
professions, prostitute, skills, soldier