Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
Aneirin

Default Re: Street prostitutes and Erotic Arts

Secret Diary of a Call Girl...the person who wrote that, would have erotic art, as would other high class call girls.

Go kerb crawling though, and...wel...yellow teethed wrinkly crusty things...don't need much of anything to be a prostitute and find business.

If you want to find good business...like an adventurer (succsesful ones simmilar to movie stars depending on the setting) then erotic art would be feasible. After all, if you want to follow an adventurer around and have him protect and maybe give some swag, you are going to need to bring something (some bring theiving skills, some bring charms, others erotic arts, some will do healing as well as...other tasks...but merely willing to risk safety won't be enough)
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
gruundehn

Asta, Camp Followers were much more than prostitutes. In fact probably very few were. Camp Followers were men and women who provided services that the army didn't as well as wives and children. Thus you would have washer women, sutlers, people wanting to buy loot, etc. Camp Followers as prostitutes is a modern invention.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Anders

Yes, I know and that is reflected in the template. There are animal handlers to keep the wagons rolling, armourers, barber-surgeons, etc. But I was interested specifically in the prostitutes - the others I think I can handle but I know that if I don't include Erotic Arts some player is going to complain...
Old 04-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruundehn View Post
Asta, Camp Followers were much more than prostitutes. In fact probably very few were. Camp Followers were men and women who provided services that the army didn't as well as wives and children. Thus you would have washer women, sutlers, people wanting to buy loot, etc. Camp Followers as prostitutes is a modern invention.
Ehn. The laundresses generally weren't averse to supplementing their primary job with a bit of prostitution.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I'm making a "Camp Follower" template. I'll probably make a Professional Skill including, among other things, sizing up customers.
If you're willing to go into fan made material, a street level prostitute might have the ****ing skill from GURPS Sex at some level, maybe with some Specializations in specific acts.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
If you're willing to go into fan made material, a street level prostitute might have the ****ing skill from GURPS Sex at some level, maybe with some Specializations in specific acts.
This. Is. Fourthedition!

Seriously, let's cut down on the skill bloat.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
Witchking

Quote:
Yes, I know and that is reflected in the template. There are animal handlers to keep the wagons rolling, armourers, barber-surgeons, etc. But I was interested specifically in the prostitutes - the others I think I can handle but I know that if I don't include Erotic Arts some player is going to complain...
Actually I could see including Erotic Arts for a prostitute...possibily even a mid range one. However potentially the player/customer might complain about its use.

The customer usually is not buying a block of time but an act to completion. A particulally enterprising worker w/ Erotic Arts skill could use said skill to "increase turnover" and thus earnings. I could see complaints about "too quick/not getting one's money's worth."

YMMV....
Old 04-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
This. Is. Fourthedition!

Seriously, let's cut down on the skill bloat.
;'

It's Fan made material. The choice of using it is strictly optional. If Asta chooses to use my suggestion it doesn't get added to the official rules and no one else is forced to use the skill, after all unless they're writing for an official source book?

And even then, no one has to use it.

The skill seemed appropriate for an experienced but low level prostitute: the purely physical acts of sexual intercourse, nothing emotional or mood about it. How to do it effectively and quickly to a certain degree since success effects how quickly the act draws to a close.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
whswhs

Quote:
Make it an optional skill, one of the ones on the list of secondary skills, maybe.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #20
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Well, skill bloat leads to unhappy players, which disincentivises GMs to use such (optional) rules. I'm also wondering about adapting the One-Task Wonder perk.

Tags
professions, prostitute, skills, soldier