Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:38 AM   #11
ColBosch

Default Re: Two rules questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Can someone please explain when a SHVY is killed according to the partial damage rules? I understand that after a X result a dice is rolled with various effects. Killed on a 6 and with subesquent 1 or 2 results. However I cannot find clear what happens if I get 3, 4 and 5 results over and over (Unit immobilized. Mark off all threads. Unit disabled). Additionally, as the second D has no further effect, it means that the SHVY will recover as if the second D result never happened even if the unit was disabled in the previous turn? Or a second D scored in the next turn postpones the SHVY's recovery and this could go on and on for the next turns if the SHVY a D result each turn?
The SHVY remains on the battlefield until one of its destruction results is rolled. Rule 13.07 covers this pretty well. It might be left immobile and weaponless, but it remains in play. The rule also says that, after it is disabled, further D results have no extra effect.

Note that this is an optional rule and makes SHVYs more expensive.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:40 AM   #12
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Durr View Post
One clarification: my questions referred to two separate situations, one in a game of Ogre and one in a game of GEV.
Ah, okay. I thought you were engaging in a bit of sneaky rules lawyering. :)
Old 06-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #13
Leonidas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
The SHVY remains on the battlefield until one of its destruction results is rolled. Rule 13.07 covers this pretty well. It might be left immobile and weaponless, but it remains in play. The rule also says that, after it is disabled, further D results have no extra effect.

Note that this is an optional rule and makes SHVYs more expensive.
As suspected. Thank you very much.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:14 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
There are ways you could end up with an Ogre and a disabled enemy unit in the same hex (see rule 8.05.1). Not likely, but it is possible, and the spillover fire rules do take this into account. 7.12.2 says "All units (friendly or enemy) in a hex are affected by spillover fire."
I have literally never seen this happen, YMMV of course.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:48 AM   #15
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I have literally never seen this happen, YMMV of course.
I've seen enemy units left in an Ogre's hex several times using the Overrun rules, typically when the Ogre player got overconfident and had all of his remaining guns shot off (sometimes, the dice hate me). It can happen, and there are rules for it. So it's not "YMMV" at all; it's the system accounting for edge cases.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
Ursus

Quote:
I've seen enemy units left in an Ogre's hex several times using the Overrun rules, typically when the Ogre player got overconfident and had all of his remaining guns shot off (sometimes, the dice hate me). It can happen, and there are rules for it. So it's not "YMMV" at all; it's the system accounting for edge cases.
Who are you, Wil Wheaton? ;-)
Old 06-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I said that whether this happens to you or not is probably variable, and I think that's a true statement. The rules definitely do account for this (IMO unlikely) edge case, no dispute there.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:25 AM   #18
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
Who are you, Wil Wheaton? ;-)
Oh, does he have bad dice, too? I swear, the only time I roll well is when it doesn't matter.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:48 AM   #19
J. Durr

Quote:
Oh, does he have bad dice, too? I swear, the only time I roll well is when it doesn't matter.
In the game where the first situation I asked about happened (disabled unit remaining in hex with Ogre after ramming) I was shooting at one point at the gunless Ogre's remaining few treads with about six units per turn for several turns. I swear I rolled thirty times in a row without getting a hit on the treads. WHERE'S THE RULE FOR THAT
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #20
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Durr View Post
In the game where the first situation I asked about happened (disabled unit remaining in hex with Ogre after ramming) I was shooting at one point at the gunless Ogre's remaining few treads with about six units per turn for several turns. I swear I rolled thirty times in a row without getting a hit on the treads. WHERE'S THE RULE FOR THAT
You found it! Congratulations!