Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
DoomedDuck

Default Re: Cleric Resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley52 View Post
As a newbie I am still uncertain WHEN a Cleric would want to use this ability. Obviously you can only use it after you've been helped in combat. But we play with the discards face down. So the idea is that you should be remembering the cards well enough to want to do this? It seems like a less useful skill (since you must be drawing face-up) then say the discard-using skills of the Thief, Wizard, or Warrior...

Thoughts?
You can also use it when you kick down the door, or any other time that you are instructed to draw a face-up card(s). So, for instance, you're level 9 and the person immediately before you defeats a low level monster. As long as it's still on top of the discards, you can resurrect it in place of kicking down the door and fight it for the win. There's actually a lot of uses for the ability, and if given the choice, Cleric would be my #1 or #2 favorite class (depending on circumstances in the game), wizard being my other favorite.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

We didn't explicitly state it because we never thought there was a need to say "Place your discards just like you do in every other card game." Yes, it's official that discards are meant to be placed in face-up piles.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley52 View Post
As a newbie I am still uncertain WHEN a Cleric would want to use this ability. Obviously you can only use it after you've been helped in combat. But we play with the discards face down. So the idea is that you should be remembering the cards well enough to want to do this? It seems like a less useful skill (since you must be drawing face-up) then say the discard-using skills of the Thief, Wizard, or Warrior...

Thoughts?
You've already been told about the discard pile, but I want to make something clear: This is not poker, one of the few games I can think of without having to think where cards are discarded face-down. I'm having a hard time coming up with a hobby card game (as opposed to traditional card games) that has a face-down discard pile.

However, there are several occasions where you draw up a face-up card. One is when you kick down the door. That's an amazingly useful time to draw the top card off the discard pile.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
Enzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
I'm having a hard time coming up with a hobby card game (as opposed to traditional card games) that has a face-down discard pile.
In NetRunner, the Corp has face-up and face-down discards.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzzo View Post
In NetRunner, the Corp has face-up and face-down discards.
And I'm sure the rules for that game explain that, since it's an oddity. I wasn't requesting information on other card games that do this, so please don't offer up any more suggestions.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleric, kick, open, resurrection