Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-24-2018, 03:31 AM   #1
zot

Default Preserving a body for revival

I needed to make a way to preserve a body for Revival at a later time for my priest system.

It's presented as a ceremony but this idea could easily be turned into a spell. Because of the way ceremonies work, in order to have something like the Revival spell, there also has to be a way to preserve a body past the one-hour limit. So that needed another ceremony :). Here are the two ceremonies, taken from the Village Wise One religion. Feel free to reconfigure them. These operate on groups instead of individuals, due to the constraints and flavor of the priest system (you can read it for the full context and details). Note that the flavor text for these ceremonies is linked to the Village Wise One religion, a corresponding Mngineer ceremony might make no mention of a soul or spirits (perhaps Mngineers deny the existence of an afterlife, I'm not sure at this point):

Gift of the Bear Clan: Your supplications attract a bear clan which approaches the bodies, one of their spirits entering each dead body and anchoring its soul. The bear spirits cause the bodies to hibernate spiritually until the next new or full moon. A hibernating dead person may be brought back with a ceremony or a Revival spell, even though more than one hour may have passed. This only works on people who died at or since the previous appointed time.

Gift of the Moon (Theologian 4, new or full moon): The spiritual power of the moon restores a group to life, provided they died after dusk or they have been somehow preserved. Requires 5 acolytes.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:42 AM   #2
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Preserving a body for revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
... Gift of the Bear Clan: ...

Gift of the Moon (Theologian 4, new or full moon): The spiritual power of the moon restores a group to life, provided they died after dusk or they have been somehow preserved. Requires 5 acolytes.
Hi Zot, everyone.
If someone is raised with the Gift of the Moon, do they lose 5 attributes?

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:13 AM   #3
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Zot, everyone.
If someone is raised with the Gift of the Moon, do they lose 5 attributes?

Warm regards, Rick.
I need to clarify that in the description. Yes, ceremonies that reproduce talent or spell effects get all of the same limitations, except the ones that are explicitly changed in the ceremony description like the number of subjects, casting time, etc.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:15 AM   #4
zot

Default Fixed version of Gift of the Moon

Here's the fixed version:

Gift of the Moon (Theologian 4, new or full moon): The spiritual power of the moon restores a group to life as if the Revival spell was cast on each one, provided they died after dusk or they have been somehow preserved. Requires 5 acolytes.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
I needed to make a way to preserve a body for Revival at a later time...
Anything inappropriate with a good, old-fashioned Freeze Spell?

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
zot

[QUOTE=zot;2186021]I needed to make a way to preserve a body for Revival at a later time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Anything inappropriate with a good, old-fashioned Freeze Spell?

JK
The way the revival ceremony works, the body might need to be preserved for up to 2 weeks. That would be one very expensive freeze spell... :)
Old 06-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
Jim Kane
Banned

[QUOTE=zot;2186299]
Quote:
I needed to make a way to preserve a body for Revival at a later time...

The way the revival ceremony works, the body might need to be preserved for up to 2 weeks. That would be one very expensive freeze spell... :)
OR,.. you could always go to Tollenkar's Lair, and try to steal the crown with the permanent Freeze Spell on it, which Tollenkar's bodyguard, Jaggado, wears to keep him in a state of suspended animation; or create a copy of that crown in some other type of amulet, more befitting the theme which suits you.

JK
Old 06-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
zot

[QUOTE=Jim Kane;2186302]
Quote:
OR,.. you could always go to Tollenkar's Lair, and try to steal the crown with the permanent Freeze Spell on it, which Tollenkar's bodyguard, Jaggado, wears to keep him in a state of suspended animation; or create a copy of that crown in some other type of amulet, more befitting the theme which suits you.

JK
Wait... you're not afraid of bear spirits, are you? :)
Old 06-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
Skarg

Quote:
Seems to me that crown is the standard form of the Freeze magic item listed in Advanced Melee. But although it halts metabolism of a living person, I don't think it would necessarily stop the various causes of decay in a dead person's body.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
Jim Kane
Banned

[QUOTE=zot;2186303]
Quote:

Wait... you're not afraid of bear spirits, are you? :)
Bear Spirits? No, I don't think so; but Bare Spirits, yes! Very scary things ;-D

JK