Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #21
Rasputin

Default Re: The Future of the DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
So the Paizo product is big and full service. Everything is in there and with little or no need to create anything yourself. Mirror is much smaller and mostly consists of one useful tool with some vague suggestions for the rest of things.
The problem with the adventure paths is that this is what they are: paths. They're railroads, pure and simple. They have no replay value. They appeal to some folks, but not to everyone.

If you go down the path of paths, you are making sure to appeal to a market that Pathfinder owns, and to a market that appeals to few existing GURPS players, who tend to be tinkerers. Obviously, you want to bring in new players, though you can't afford to get rid of the existing customer base. You have to offer Pathfinder players something other than Pathfinder with different numbers.

Also, keep in mind that Paizo has loads of resources it can throw at its paths, and develop the prettiest railroads. Pathfinder players devour paths constantly, and you need to keep churning out new ones, about two a year.

Then there's the organized play aspect, which is a big draw for the paths. Folks not in a Pathfinder Society game are much less likely to be using an adventure path, and instead playing something nearer to Pathfinder's D&D 3.75 roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
As to the difference between GMs for one or the other there isn't necessarily any. I've done both and no GM in our group is exclusively Pathfinder. Few write their own adventures any more though.
That would not jibe with my experience, wherein no GMs I know use published adventures exclusively; some don't use them at all. Again, I'd focus on GMs making their own adventures fast.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #22
dbm

Check out Razorcoast by Frog God games for an example of what I would love GURPS to have. It's a great self-contained sandbox campaign. There are no railroads there at all.
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #23
Christopher R. Rice

A quick answer because I've got some stuff I need to get to, but the thing that kicks me in the pants the most is...a setting. I know it's been avoided for a lot of reasons, but DnD gamers are going to want something that they can grab and go with. If that's built via adventures, fine. But it needs to be there.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
The problem with the adventure paths is that this is what they are: paths. They're railroads, pure and simple.
IME, this simply isn't true. I have been playing Rise of the Runelords and running Iron Gods. I don't feel railroaded in RotRL at all, and I feel like my players have plenty of choice in IG. My IG game is radically modified from the published version anyway because my players work for the principal villains (sort of) and I haven't really had to do much to accommodate the change in concept.

Quote:
They have no replay value.
That's true of adventures, period; dungeons even more so.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #25
apoc527

This whole thing needs to be taken to RPG.net, enworld.com, and others. That's Phil's point and it's a good one.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #26
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
This whole thing needs to be taken to RPG.net
Way ahead of you.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #27
chrismaille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
  • Fluff-heavy. Adventures and, dare I say, a setting or settings.
Definitively this - a setting. Think about the new GM on the block, buying the DF box set. He needs 1) think on some basics for his campaign setting, 2) create an adventure and 3) Create NPCs and PCs. Lots of effort and time, even with streamlined rules, for a novice GM. If he wants to convert another adventure/campaign from other system... oh boy, better play WoW.

And after all this, he still shouts "roll HT-2 for a Affliction Attack" instead of "you are attacked by the Putrified Eye of Dargolak".

I do believe DF will address some, or perhaps, all these concerns, but not as a whole like a setting can do.

Dungeon Fantasy was born and grow in PDFs - a safe choice. The same path can be use for his setting - start with the history, gods, magic, magical itens, NPCs and stories, lots of stories.

One day we can see a new Kickstart for all these works.
chrismaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #28
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That's true of adventures, period; dungeons even more so.
This is flat-out not true. Dungeons have quite a bit of replay value. There's a dungeon in my own game to which the players have been twice, months apart in-game (with many adventures in between) and have yet to clear. If you follow TKD's blog (which I know you do), you'll see examples of AD&D adventures that he's run many times, with the same players.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
This is flat-out not true. Dungeons have quite a bit of replay value. There's a dungeon in my own game to which the players have been twice, months apart in-game (with many adventures in between) and have yet to clear. If you follow TKD's blog (which I know you do), you'll see examples of AD&D adventures that he's run many times, with the same players.
In that way, the locations in an Adventure Path also have replay value. How could they not?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 04-11-2017 at 11:52 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:51 PM   #30
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismaille View Post
Definitively this - a setting. Think about the new GM on the block, buying the DF box set. He needs 1) think on some basics for his campaign setting, 2) create an adventure and 3) Create NPCs and PCs. Lots of effort and time, even with streamlined rules, for a novice GM. If he wants to convert another adventure/campaign from other system... oh boy, better play WoW.

And after all this, he still shouts "roll HT-2 for a Affliction Attack" instead of "you are attacked by the Putrified Eye of Dargolak".

I do believe DF will address some, or perhaps, all these concerns, but not as a whole like a setting can do.

Dungeon Fantasy was born and grow in PDFs - a safe choice. The same path can be use for his setting - start with the history, gods, magic, magical itens, NPCs and stories, lots of stories.

One day we can see a new Kickstart for all these works.
My idea of a useable setting is a somewhat fleshed-out town, a forest to hike through for a number of days, and a dungeon. Upper level politics and enumerated gods, the sorts of high-level detail usually focused on in setting books, are information I don't need to play and can easily make up if needed as GM. It's things like dungeon maps and trap placements that I struggle with.