Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #391
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: the Pacific War (OOC)

Perhaps Blandine is playing a trick on me.

Last week I swear I found a Song that would solve the angels/soldiers/tether problem i.e. getting all the PC's in one place consistently. It's called Bridge and it's a duet--an angel at one location needs to synchronize the Song with the angel at the other, and at 6 Essence each it's an expensive piece of work, so (my memory tells me the book says) it's not taught to just anyone. I wondered why 6 Essence would be so high, since that's the amount Thunder takes --shrug-- There were weight requirements and time the bridge could stay open which I glossed over, details I thought best looked up after the creative work is done.

You know now I can't find the damned thing. I looked all over L. Canti and it's just not there. Is it possible I'd simply dreamt it? Sometimes my dreams are that vivid, but I wrote "Bridge" (with no page number dammit!) on Dignity's character sheet, and I don't think I can sleepwalk at quite that level.

But I'm going to run with it, trust it's canon somewhere and that someone can point me to it. Either that or Blandine has (in game) realized there's going to be a major ethereal problem soon and has released an uber-rare song to deal with it.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #392
ladyarcana55

You're thinking the Song of Location (Common Song pg 38)

And I just realized...

Where is Deshawn? He seemed to have disappeared

Last edited by ladyarcana55; 01-20-2012 at 08:24 PM.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #393
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
You're thinking the Song of Location (Common Song pg 38)

And I just realized...

Where is Deshawn? He seemed to have disappeared
Thank you--that's what I get for not taking better notes.

DeShawn was left off along with Kingman's body at the NoHo film studio tether, where I can be a kind GM and say that the angels there took care of things, and they're not causing any unwanted trouble.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #394
RadLilim

Its not "bridge", its "location" pg. 38 in L Cant

And using Shields how I said isnt an interpretation, he's using Celestial Shields, pg. 53 in L Cant. Ash will use the sage to make the "existing barrior". The main book has a demon use cigarette smoke, but sage smoke is better in Ash's mind.

Wanna buy one? - Radueriel, Free Lilim
RadLilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #395
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadLilim View Post
Its not "bridge", its "location" pg. 38 in L Cant

And using Shields how I said isnt an interpretation, he's using Celestial Shields, pg. 53 in L Cant. Ash will use the sage to make the "existing barrior". The main book has a demon use cigarette smoke, but sage smoke is better in Ash's mind.
Consider me corrected.

Happily the kind of sage magick-folk carry around is the dried kind in bundles suitable for creating smoke aka "smudge sticks". But I suspect you knew that.

Celestial Shields can block the noise of anyone after Ash coming through, as well as the Song of Location itself. (Impatient GM is impatient) we can retcon a little and Ash can go through first, set up, and have the others follow. There will still be the bang of Ash using the tether--enough for Ruby to follow, since she knows the general direction anyway, but she will definitely underestimate how many she's going to face.

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 01-21-2012 at 10:38 PM.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #396
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
OOC: I'm trying to remember the name of my assistant at Tradewinds. I seem to remember he's a Solider, would he and Gilbert know each other?
I believe it was Allen, though trying to go back and find it means getting distracted in some beloved old threads. Wherein I found this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
"Guys," Marty pipes up from the back. "Non provochi il leone." He knew Kevin would get that, and hoped with their Latin and Spanish that Ryuki and Chuy would get it too.

You can hear Nisroc even as he walks further away. "They're acting as a unit! I'd be surprised if Mike doesn't hear that....Who?...When???"

"BUT..." he pauses dramatically. "If a man like James believes he must go to Hell, he behaves differently from a man who believes that isn't so. I've seen it before--in fact I'm doing research on a guy right now. Keith Kings, the so-called psychic you see in the back of the tabloids. He's genuine, Hellsworn, and he's getting old. I called in a favor on a renegade I know, and Keith is typical in that he's looking for someone he can use to weasel out of his contract right about now. If he's more optimistic than smart, right now he's sucking up to the biggest 'ethereal' he can find, hoping for a Valhalla. If he's a pessimist, and that's my guess, he's sucking up to a demon or two bigger than his sponsor, trying to pull a Constantine. All this elaborate tomfoolery because he doesn't look forward to an eternity of torture.

"If you have a contract, this is what you face. This is typically what you do. I...do not have...a contract."
I made an error on the name--'Keith Kings' is 'Gerald Kingman'. Same character, the old man sorcerer who got shish-kebab'd earlier. Not that it hasn't occurred to you already, but it's something your character might remember.

Ah--found the soldier. http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...postcount=1021 Given how widely Gilbert travels, I figure they've met, maybe even know each other for Soldiers, but don't exactly hang out in their spare time. Like Soldiers have 'spare time'...
Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #397
Puck

As Mitch is in the back yard can he see Ruby and the three other demons sneaking around the neighbor's back yard?
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #398
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
As Mitch is in the back yard can he see Ruby and the three other demons sneaking around the neighbor's back yard?
If you like. Hopefully one of his compadres will spot him and let him in soon...!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #399
tHEhERETIC

A note on the Malakite of Creation attunement.

Like most IN players (and I'd say this for any RPG I've played) I have goodies I'm fond of and know quite well and others where I'm pretty clueless. Malakite of Creation is one of my favorites.

Early in MHC when I was nailing down the NPC's, I decided on Ryuki's backstory. It was important to me that he be human (earlier drafts included a Child of a Grigori, a demi-god, or a Remnant) for the theme of the story. He's an insertion character for one, and was my spokesperson for the human condition. It's how I justify him being something of a bigot. I felt a human character should be as well-rounded as possible despite the tropes I rely on, and that included some bad habits. I may have overdone the bad habits.

But one of the possibilities I entertained was giving him that attunement. It shows up, offstage, in the story of 'How I Broke My Face and Damn Near Died", implied, how he turned a pool cue into a de facto sword. I've discarded the idea of the attunement per se. The swordsmanship is from years of training in iaido, and he does love to play pool.

I've also taken that concept and fudged his sorcery on purpose. Anything canon, I've taken one detail and pumped it up, with a trade-off in cost. An ordinary Banish takes 10 minutes and CD -2 Essence (Marches pg. 68)--he can do it instantly for CD Essence, no minuses. I've made adjustments like these to IIRC all the spells in his arsenal, and as an NPC if I find he needs to do something for Plot I'll pencil it in with the same toys. But like the pool cue/sword it isn't an instant or instinctual thing like it is with Kane. Ryuki's done this through years of study, practice, and rather dangerous experimentation. It's frankly a wonder he doesn't have any vestigial limbs, tics, or other Discord-like effects.

Two reasons I wrote this. One, for Kane: nice choice of weapons there. Realistically those needles wouldn't mean much, but this is a Creation angel--they're now de facto Wolverine claws. I'm picturing those kits of needles you sometimes see, where there are twenty of them arrayed in a little tinfoil row, taped to the back of his swinging hand. In game he's taped them just right, set them up instinctively in a way they'll do the most damage. As mere humans without Eli's gifts, RocketMan and I will just have to fudge physics a little bit and have his goodies work better in one detail than they realistically would. No trade-off necessary, though it would be nice.

Two, for Glen. Ryuki can teach these techniques, though he's been doing it this way for so long he'd have trouble teaching the standard form. I'm imagining how the Banish would work, including the snarky remarks that would include his instruction. Ask at your own risk. He'll teach Glen if he trusts him that far, but being a PC Glen will be trusted more than a similar NPC in the same spot.

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 01-25-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: oops
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #400
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
((Oh look--it's in that odd little closet just inside the garage!))
Oh, goody ... a Big Red Button if needed. :D

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in nomine