Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #21
PK

Default Re: GURPS After the End 1: Wastelanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Have only had time to scan over it. Because I'm lazy, at work, and don't trust myself to get it right... Could someone piece together a Regeneration for RP as well as a Costs RP (per minute, per 10 seconds) limitation? That would be grand!
Well, Costs RP would equate almost exactly to Costs HP, since they use such similar mechanics. You can improve RP more cheaply than HP, but you also can't use First Aid, etc., to quickly recover them -- so I'd call that a wash. Thus, Costs RP would be worth -10%/level, where each level is 1 RP per minute (or "use" or "attack," for instantaneous abilities).

And just as for Costs HP, for double the value (-20%/level), the cost becomes per second. I suppose it would be reasonable to benchmark "per 10 seconds" in between the two, at -15%/level. (Though again, note that these last two are not options for attacks or other instantaneous abilities.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #22
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Well, Costs RP would equate almost exactly to Costs HP, since they use such similar mechanics. You can improve RP more cheaply than HP, but you also can't use First Aid, etc., to quickly recover them -- so I'd call that a wash. Thus, Costs RP would be worth -10%/level, where each level is 1 RP per minute (or "use" or "attack," for instantaneous abilities).

And just as for Costs HP, for double the value (-20%/level), the cost becomes per second. I suppose it would be reasonable to benchmark "per 10 seconds" in between the two, at -15%/level. (Though again, note that these last two are not options for attacks or other instantaneous abilities.)
Quote:
That makes sense. But what would a Costs RP limitation look like? I had previously ballparked Costs Rads as the same as Costs HP. Crushing 1d [5] vs Toxic (Radiation, +25%) [5] equivocates 1 HP with 1 Rad. So, to me, it seems like a Costs RP limitation would be huuuge. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If HP is equivalent to RP, then what about standard Rads? Obviously, it follows that Costs Rads might mean Costs 10 Rads to be equivalent to the scale of Costs 1 HP or Costs 1 RP, but the numbers from the radiation damage type are making me think twice about all of it. But maybe I'm thinking way too hard about it.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #23
PK

Quote:
If HP is equivalent to RP, then what about standard Rads? Obviously, it follows that Costs Rads might mean Costs 10 Rads to be equivalent to the scale of Costs 1 HP or Costs 1 RP, but the numbers from the radiation damage type are making me think twice about all of it. But maybe I'm thinking way too hard about it.
I would not use this with standard rads. RP work in more predictable ways than the far more complex standard irradiation rules.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #24
Greg 1

Oh man, I can't wait to read this one through.

I love the templates and mutations.

Edit: So far, it is terrific. Bravo, PK. I'm definitely sold on this as a series.

Last edited by Greg 1; 03-03-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #25
acrosome

Well, as is becoming my standard with works by PK I'm absolutely loving the crunch of the vehicle stuff and templates and disliking all of the attempts to "streamline" crunch out of the game, like RP and LFP and implying that Farming and Sewing are not appropriate skills for adventurers and that all rifles use the same 'generic' rifle ammo.

That being said, the RP and LFP rules are very good well-thought-out streamlines if you want such.

But, heck, the RAW radiation rules are pretty good IMHO. And if the whole game is about survival, then to me the extra book-keeping to track the causes of FP loss are sort of part of the fun.

As a minor bit of pedantry, though TL4 is a good choice I wouldn't have set a universal economic default at TL4. I would have left that a variable to be assigned to polities or communities (City Stats!), since TL5 or perhaps even TL6 are defendable levels that can be maintained by a small community as well. Then the equipment cost table on p29 would have been more like:

TL+1 = x2
TL+2 = x4
TL+3 = x8
etc.

I guess I just like the crunch, and dislike the simplification...

I like that the standard templates are 150-points; I agree that this is a good 'heroic but not ridiculous' set point. Yet there are also many, many worked 50-point lenses for those who want more power. Really, I can't over-emphasize my absolute joy that the standard templates are not 250-point Monster Hunters demigods.

And, yes, clearly starting wealth needs to be very low. I'm not so sure about totally removing Status and Wealth from the game, though. Wouldn't a town mayor or sheriff have Status?

Of course, on the other hand I could never have produced any of this on my own, so I hope I'm not coming across as unappreciative. Lord knows I've been asking for ATE for a long time, and I can easily add the complexity back in while ignoring the over-the-top mutation stuff (which I also dislike but which clearly needed to be included in any coverage of this genre). So I'm now eagerly awaiting what I suspect will be the big payoff for me- ATE: Wastelands. That's where the real crunch will be, I suspect. We particularly need better Survival (incl. hunting) and Scrounging rules. Social Engineering already covered bartering pretty well IIRC, which was my other big want for the genre.

Last edited by acrosome; 03-03-2016 at 09:06 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #26
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Interestingly, Ghostdancer and I just had a long conversation about that. What seems fair is "LFP Reserve [2/level]," where you get to start at -[LFP Reserve] instead of 0. So if you have LFP Reserve 5 [10], you start with LFP -5 instead of LFP 0, which means the first 5 LFP you accumulate have no effect.

That said, I'm not sure if this is ever going to make it into an ATE book, only because it seems really meta to me. But if anyone wants to use it, the price seems right. (We worked out that "Immunity to LFP" was just Doesn't Eat or Drink + Doesn't Sleep, for 30 points, and GURPS generally equates a +15 bonus with Immunity in situations where, say, an ability can ignore immunities.)
If you really want to get picky with short and long term fatigue, there's always The Last Gasp (Pyr #3/44). Ditch action points, drag out more severe penalties for suffering long-term fatigue, and you're good to go.

The rules for losing fatigue for missed meals, sleep, and water just got a lot more serious.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:53 PM   #27
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
I have looked through the index and it seems promising. I wonder if there are some rules / advantages / disadvantages / powers I could cannibalize for my Dungeon Fantasy game.

Maybe "Radiation" could be considered a form of "Chaos magic" and Mutations as "Chaotic blessings"?

After all, a wastelander survivor needs to use existing tools in original ways!
I use radiation for Chaos magic myself and this is simpler to play and pretty easy to tweak.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:15 AM   #28
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
Maybe "Radiation" could be considered a form of "Chaos magic" and Mutations as "Chaotic blessings"?

After all, a wastelander survivor needs to use existing tools in original ways!
Well, well, well...isn't that an interesting idea...

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:32 AM   #29
pestigor

I just picked this up and read it and I really like it. It's clear concise and gives you a really neat starting point. Job well done P.K.!!!
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:45 AM   #30
Lancewholelot

Sweet! This should come in handy for my GURPS adaptation of Dungeon Crawl Classics' Peril on the Purple Planet!

Last edited by Lancewholelot; 03-04-2016 at 01:51 AM. Reason: correction
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end