Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Flemroid

Default When curse takes effect

I played a curse on my friend to lose his class as soon as his combat ended (had to wait because previous curse Something Amnesia was as if he had no class/race and had to wait for it to be active again) although since he had not yet drawn his treasures for winning the combat we decided that he would first have to do this and level up before the curse would actually take effect and any card he drew from winning this combat could be used to negate the curse. Is this correct?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
thedag

Default Re: When curse takes effect

Certainly if he is allowed to draw treasures before curse hots then yes he can use any cards he has drawn to negate the curse. What I'm not sure about is if you had to wait or not. Hopefully someone else with better knowledge can answer that part.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Clipper

If you wait until after the combat, then you are correct that they must draw their spoils before you can curse them. The period between actually winning a combat (after giving reasonable time) and the end of receiving the spoils and cleaning up the cards used in the combat does not allow you to play any cards except those that specifically interrupt parts of the cleanup. Thus, you really should wait until after the final Treasure is drawn before playing your Curse.

And as I see thedag already beat me to that, the original Curse is probably Curse! Temporary Amnesia. This makes the user forget their Classes, but it doesn't stop them losing their Class. You could have cursed them before the combat ended if you wanted. Even though they count as having no Class while they are cursed, they would still need to discard the Class card they have if they get hit by a new Curse that tells them to do so.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Flemroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
And as I see thedag already beat me to that, the original Curse is probably Curse! Temporary Amnesia. This makes the user forget their Classes, but it doesn't stop them losing their Class. You could have cursed them before the combat ended if you wanted. Even though they count as having no Class while they are cursed, they would still need to discard the Class card they have if they get hit by a new Curse that tells them to do so.
Are you sure because I believe that the card said something about for all purposes act as if u were a classless raceless human. So a curse would be part of that all purposes.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Clipper

You are Classless, but you do have a Class card, which the lose class Curses tell you to discard. It was also ruled here that you can add new Classes while suffering from the Amnesia, so you should be able to lose them too.

Edit: Actually I reverse that. Just found a previous ruling and MM agreed that being Classless means you have no Class to lose, at least in the method that he would play it.

Last edited by Clipper; 08-19-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Flemroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
You are Classless, but you do have a Class card, which the lose class Curses tell you to discard. It was also ruled here that you can add new Classes while suffering from the Amnesia, so you should be able to lose them too.
So you can discard and add classes like normal you just wont remember any until you discard the curse?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemroid View Post
So you can discard and add classes like normal you just wont remember any until you discard the curse?
Yes, according to the first thread I linked. However, MM's opinion in the second thread that I edited in muddies things a tad.